Bongo's BOMB Newb Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished the flowering room. I'm ready to go but I have a question. I got 2 bulbs with the 600 watt HPS light set up. The HPS High Output Digital with 90,000 lumens bulb and a MH High Output Digital with 60,000 lumens bulb. I'm thinking I use the HPS 90,000.

Whats the MH 60,000 lumens for? Vegging? :confused2:

Edit: I googled and found the answer. It is used for vegging plants. What is the advantage of florescent over MH?

Fluorescent lights are cheaper to run, they're cooler, they are way more efficient. Meaning lumens per watt. You can get the flouro light down really close to the canopy, like 3 inches. So you end up with less stretch.

Fluorescent lights are cheaper to run, they're cooler, they are way more efficient. Meaning lumens per watt. You can get the flouro light down really close to the canopy, like 3 inches. So you end up with less stretch.

OK thanks HighBrixMMJ.

There are a lot of different types of fluoro lighting. Since none of the other type of fluoro bulbs or tubes even come close to being able to replace a MH, T5 is the lighting I am going to talk about. IMO, the T5s are the only fluoros that can rival metal halide. But really sure I would necessarily call them more efficient. Metal halide and T5s emit about the same amount of lumens per watt, 90-100 lumens per watt (all other fluoros are around 65 or lower). What I think gives the T5s an advantage over the MH is that they spread the light better and (because of that), they are easier to cool. That enables you to get the plant canopy right up next to the light. If you are growing large plants in veg, a MH may be better, because it does have a lot better penetrating power.

There are a lot of different types of fluoro lighting. Since none of the other type of fluoro bulbs or tubes even come close to being able to replace a MH, T5 is the lighting I am going to talk about. IMO, the T5s are the only fluoros that can rival metal halide. But really sure I would necessarily call them more efficient. Metal halide and T5s emit about the same amount of lumens per watt, 90-100 lumens per watt (all other fluoros are around 65 or lower). What I think gives the T5s an advantage over the MH is that they spread the light better and (because of that), they are easier to cool. That enables you to get the plant canopy right up next to the light. If you are growing large plants in veg, a MH may be better, because it does have a lot better penetrating power.

Thanks THG :cool2: This gives me an option to veg in 2 areas if I decided to. Just a thought.

I finally came to the realization, that the very experienced growers on this forum knew I was going to hit a wall when the plants started to get bigger. THG even warned me. THG was right. I know now that I cannot take care of 10 plants ALL SUMMER LONG. :cry:

I didn't mean it to be like this. I made a big mistake germinating all the seeds I bought. What the hell was I thinking. :confused2: I'm just too inexperienced. I dove into this new hobby head first in the shallow.

So, this is what I did. I tossed 7 of the 10 plants. I kept 3 of the best THC Bomb plants and tossed the rest. I was going to keep the 2 AK47's too, but I figured for new grower like myself, why take the chance of one or both AK's turning out to be males. I don't need the drama.

Anyway, I can always get a few more seeds for the next grow. So, there you have it. I feel better now.:D

Unfortunately, the best school is the school of hard knocks. Most of us learn by making mistakes. And those of us that have grown for a long time have made our fair share, too. Growing is tough. Most of us come into it thinking it will be like growing tomatoes, but of course it isn't (darn). Taking care of fewer plants better is certainly preferred over doing a half-assed job on a lot. Sending green girl mojo your way for your AKs....as they could of course both be males.

We all learn the best lessons,the Hard Way.

Thanks for the support THG and WeedHopper. I got to thinking too, what the hell would I have done with all that weed. Damn, what was I thinking.

How much bud do you think my 3 plants will grow? If every thing goes right that is. All I really want is an ounce or 2.

Man, these plants are growing fast and really healthy too. I had to raise the light another chain link. They are growing overnight. WOW.

Now I will have plenty enough space in my flowering area. I'm going to put 1 plant in the flowering area in the next week or so. I'm going to give all 3 plants a 1/4 dose of veg nutes with the next watering. They have had no nutes yet at all.

Sound good so far?

Sorry to hear about your toss, man. If all goes to plan, you should get the yield you're after. Just keep updating and asking for help.

Estimating yield is simply a shot in the dark--there is NO way to give anyone any kind of estimate yields, especially for new growers. It will be what it will be. Make sure they are growing and not just stretching. Stretching is when they are growing taller but with little new branching. Growing is when they are growing new branches (budding sites) along with the height they are gaining. You want the distance between the branches to be small.

Estimating yield is simply a shot in the dark--there is NO way to give anyone any kind of estimate yields, especially for new growers. It will be what it will be. Make sure they are growing and not just stretching. Stretching is when they are growing taller but with little new branching. Growing is when they are growing new branches (budding sites) along with the height they are gaining. You want the distance between the branches to be small.

Got ya and thank you. These plants are bushy even though they are only approximately 6" tall. They are darn near as wide as they are tall. No space between the branches. I counted 2 sets of 5 finger leaves so far. I'll take a pic soon. BTW I decided not to nute them yet. Next watering I will. The directions say 2 to 3 teaspoons per gallon for seedlings and small plants for the first nute. I will use 1 teaspoon per gallon for the 1st nute.

Thanks again. :vap-leafy_wave:

27 days old today. I transplanted into 3 gallon pots yesterday and gave them a very small amount of veg nutes. I cut the pot away from the plants the same way i did the kegger cups.

The 3rd set of 7 section leaves are popping out now. Should I trim the big leaves off soon to get the light to the shoots? All 3 plants look the same. One just a little shorter.

I have been reading a lot since my last post. How does the plant look?

I figure 5 weeks of veg then to flower. I plan on the LST method over fimming for my 1st grow.

Still reading.

Reactions: zem
plant is looking healthy :cool2:

plant is looking healthy

:cool2: Thanks Zem.

That is 27 days from seed. I think they are looking good too.

Next grow I will take the plants from the kegger cups straight to the 3 gallon pots after 2 weeks or more. Opaque kegger cups that is. :eek: It was too difficult transplanting them baby's with so many roots. :eek:

EDIT: I just found this. http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/pruning.html So I guess I don't prune the shade leaves. Just yellow leaves. Where can I find more info on this subject?

LST'ing is a training method best suited after you top or FIM. Unless you plan on bending them over? The idea of the training is to make the plant grow outward and you train it to do so. The result is you have multiple shoots that are spread out so the light can penetrate down the plant better. This method will give you more top colas instead of one top cola. Since top colas tend to grow larger and denser due to receiving most of the nutes, and as well as getting the best light. All under growth is trimmed away as it just grows small popcorn buds and steals energy and nutes from the colas which will make for better buds! This is called pruning for yield. You're on the right track though, keep reading and educating yourself! Plants are looking good!

LST'ing is a training method best suited after you top or FIM. Unless you plan on bending them over? The idea of the training is to make the plant grow outward and you train it to do so. The result is you have multiple shoots that are spread out so the light can penetrate down the plant better. This method will give you more top colas instead of one top cola. Since top colas tend to grow larger and denser due to receiving most of the nutes, and as well as getting the best light. All under growth is trimmed away as it just grows small popcorn buds and steals energy and nutes from the colas which will make for better buds! This is called pruning for yield. You're on the right track though, keep reading and educating yourself! Plants are looking good!

Yes, bending them over. I have some paracord or I could use pipe cleaner to bend them over.

I would not be for putting those into flowering yet. While they are very nice and healthy looking, they are still very small. I would definitely fim. Some plants do not do well with lst and I do not think that your plant looks like it is going to be bushy enough to take well to lst. Or, you do not have to do anything to them--no lst, no fimming, just let them do their thing this first time.

You are going to want fairly large plants if you plan on trimming up the bottom. The way that plant is looking, I do not see you having to do this kind of trimming up. I am thinking as this is your first go to keep it somewhat simply and just let them grow. This will give you a better idea also of what to expect.

I also think it is a good idea to put them into flowering when they are ready--after they have showed sexual maturity with alternating nodes or preflowers. Do not rush going into flowering, it is counterproductive. You are basically depriving the plant of 12 hours of light that it needs to veg.

I would not be for putting those into flowering yet. While they are very nice and healthy looking, they are still very small. I would definitely fim. Some plants do not do well with lst and I do not think that your plant looks like it is going to be bushy enough to take well to lst. Or, you do not have to do anything to them--no lst, no fimming, just let them do their thing this first time.

You are going to want fairly large plants if you plan on trimming up the bottom. The way that plant is looking, I do not see you having to do this kind of trimming up. I am thinking as this is your first go to keep it somewhat simply and just let them grow. This will give you a better idea also of what to expect.

I also think it is a good idea to put them into flowering when they are ready--after they have showed sexual maturity with alternating nodes or preflowers. Do not rush going into flowering, it is counterproductive. You are basically depriving the plant of 12 hours of light that it needs to veg.

Great advise THG. :cool2::cool2:

Would it be ok to put my little darling plants under the 600 watt MH bulb after being under the flouro's for a month? Let them veg another 2 weeks or so under the MH bulb. I,m curious and probably a little anxious to get them in their new home. But then again it may be a good thing. :cool2::farm:

I know a few posts back I said the flower area was finished. Well, I forgot it needed a door. :eek::lama: I finished the door today and the door needs painted flat white on the inside.

After 3.5 days without water I fed the plants 1/4 nutes and 3 days later another 1/4 nutes. Tonite I just watered after 3 days. 2 Plants look really great but the one looks just a little sad. I hope the watering perks it up. I'm definately not over watering. Could be under watering but I don't think so, I'm trying to give them the wet dry cycle.

I'll take pics soon. Thanks

Latest posts

Back