Old Fogeys first ever legal grow journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) not so hard to snap a few necks.....sorta my last ditch when things start getting so stretchy.....some is good but 4-5 inch inter-nodes is a bit to much and they didn't look finished stretching yet. Had I let them go they would have been slender and sexy....but not so much weight. I think your about done till the ten day check and a few odd fans here and there. I did notice you got some stakes, are they gonna allow you to keep your light spaced correctly off the canopy? All in all looks super good to me, you did a great job. It's always uncomfortable making changes, but I honestly think this will make your grows more productive and less prone to issues. Peace

looking great in here OF. Nice trim job. Congrats on the girls. Love me some satori.

thanks rose. they are slow to show female flowers though. the males are quite obvious already but the females make me search for any hairs at this point. my nordles are not really obvious yet either. i think i threw them into flower earlier than they were ready. glad i did though. much more vegging and they'd be growing up out of the vents in my tent...

Cracked some necks...

Good work, from what i understand that's super cropping. Some will do the cracking and bending throughout veg and early flower, some will just do a small amount during the stretch if needed. Apparently it will give a better yield but i would take that suggestion lightly. I find it can be helpful to try if you have a plant stretching too much. But not necessary on every single grow. I've only really tried it a couple times though.

what i did was what i would call super cropping. i squeezed the stem lightly to soften it up and then bent the stem at a 90 degree angle. looked pretty brutal but the cracked necks should survive...

Yeah they will be fine as long as you didn't completely snap the top of. It takes a few tries to get the hang of it. The easiest way i find to do it is to squeeze the stem a couple of times and then squeeze the stem again in exactly the same spot but 90 degrees from the first one, you can pretty much adjust the branch any which way you like then. After a few days it will form a knuckle where it was pinched. I will then let it grow back up vertically on its own sometimes it may grow a little bit sideways but growth will slow for a bit and allow the lower branches to catch up a little.

yep. i have done that on previous grows. these plants do not seem as hardy though. or maybe it is the stretch stems that are weaker. it was easy to break their necks so to speak...

As long as you don't break it off your pretty much in the clear. I think everybody likes to have a technique and thats fine, but in the end as long as you break the neck over without breaking it off then you have accomplished the goal. OF your trying a lot of new things here and doing well with the changes. I think you will be pleased with your final product, and I appreciate the trust you gave me to try a few things differently. Peace

thanks kraven. the broken neck stems were already turning their heads up to the light when i looked at lights-on. i had to wrangle a couple of the branches and tie them down. and to be honest, kraven, i don't really even need and weed. i probably have enough to last me the rest of my life with the rate i go thru it. my kids are actually scaling back too. i do have other folks i can share with though that like the effects and i am psyched to try a high cbd strain so what ever i get, i get. however, i am betting i get some pretty awesome budage.

thinking of throwing in my 4 foot 4 bukb t5 with some bloom bulbs standing up in the corner under the fan in a dead spot in the tent. then i can rotate the girls around so they all get some exposure...

Sounds like a nice plan OF, good luck and green mojo. I'll hang over here in the corner till needed. Peace

I hope that didn't come off as arrogant. I appreciate all the help, Kraven. I have a lot of confidence using your trimming method is going to be a good thing. I just honestly have so much weed for a guy who can barely go thru a few grams a week. I am psyched to have some really nice dense buds.

Not at all OF, I am hard to offend but quick to let you know if you did. I say when you got plenty no need to grow more. If you decide to dabble in edibles you seem to have a decent supply. You sir are not limited to just flowers. There are all kinda neat things you can do to medicate, and help others too. ;)

thx kraven. i have been making cannabutter brownies for a couple of years. they are my go-to medication. within an hour my bp lowers about 20 pts on the systolic and 10 on the diastolic. also just keeps me in a positive state of mind(well, as positive as i get). every grow i throw everything, all the trimmings from day one thru final trim, into a slow cooker and cook up about 750 grams of cannabutter made with coconut oil. i give them out to people who like them and people who need them. a batch lasts about a month and a half. i have never tried using flowers for my cannabutter but i am sure it would be a lot stronger. at this point, i take about a 5 gram piece of my brownies and i am good for 5-6 hours. probably why i don't go thru smoke that fast. i still have a little nugget from each of my first 3 grows back in 2013. i also have approx a quarter ounce from each of my thai grows and probably a few ounces of buckeye purple and super buckeye. so yeah, i have a lot of weed. my kids used to use the lions share but one rarely smokes and the other smokes very little on a daily basis because he trains mma(he uses is as an anti-inflammatory). i will be giving away a majority of this grow as well. it is legal now to give away up to an ounce to friends in massachusetts(for now). i am growing now for the obsession of growing which i think we can all attest to being afflicted with...

killed the males last night. i always feel badly when i chop a plant. even at harvest. musta been a buddhist in a past life... or maybe a plant...

OF when we are blessed we share our blessings. I think the whole world has forgotten you always get more from giving. Peace

fed the girls today. i have a green led light that i used to give me light so i could see what i was doing. i hope that a)it is pure enough green to not cause any issue and b) that green light wont cause an issue. read an article by ed rosenthal that said you can do that. but since it is on the infraweb, it may not be the truth...

looks like they are all flowering pretty well. i will know better when i look at them at lights on tonight. i will get some pics too. it will take some getting used to for me to see such sparse plants. i am used to a sea of green, dense mohawkin' canopy. good airflow...

Trust me it will be back around week 4. The rule of thumb I go by is no more light than on a full moon in a cloudless sky....they are used to that. I have never had hermie issues with working my plants under indirect lighting where I can see well but they light source is so far from the plant that it really "doesn't" see it. Inverse square law of light......

interesting. i have always been a bit skeptical about the 'absolutely no light' rule because of the moon and the stars but have erred on the side of caution.

on a related note, i put a 4 foot 4 bulb ho t5 fixture with 3 10000 k bulbs and one 10000k plus uva bulb in the tent vertically last night to get some more lumens going. i will be rotating the plants around from here on out to try to even their exposure out(because of the inverse square law and the lack of light penetration of t5's). now i am having a bit of a heat issue(the tent was at 83 degrees when i could not sleep and went to check on the girls). need to change out the exhaust fan i am using now for my hi flow fan tomorrow.

View attachment IMG_2867.jpg

View attachment IMG_2866.jpg

Latest posts

Back