Highworthy's 1st Grow - 4x4 Tent 600watt HPS/MH in Soil - Multiple Strains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highworthy

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thanks for stopping by. This is my very 1st grow ever. I got all of my gear and setup as a late present to myself.

I welcome any tips and suggestions you might have.

I'm growing four different strains, all of which were clones that I got from a dispensary. They are:

Chemdawg - Sativa Dominant
Sour Tangie - Sativa Dominant
Chiesel - Hybrid
Remedy (CBD) - Indica Dominant

My grow setup:
4x4x6.5 Grow Tent
600watt HPS/MH Adjustable Air Cooled Grow Light
6" CanFan Inline Fan
Carbon Filter (not hooked up yet)
6" Lasko Fan for circulation
FFOF Soil
5L black plastic square pots
5 gallon Smart Pots
2 Temp/Humidty Monitors
Lots of ducting, bungies, and zip ties

I'm currently on Day 13 from planting the clones in 5L square plastic buckets. They're sucking up water much faster after the 2nd watering. I need to do some training/topping I imagine sometime soon, but am not 100% what I should do. Any suggestions?

View attachment 4x4 grow setup 4 plants.jpg

View attachment day 8 highworthy first grow multi strain up close.jpg

View attachment day 10 up close.jpg

Over time, I lowered the light from the top of the tent. Once I had lowered it to ~16" I turned the light upto 75% for a few days, before finally up to the full 100%.

They've had 2 waterings so far, the first lasted about 7 days before the soil became noticeably dry. The 2nd watering didn't last as long, I'm guessing either due to more light, or more established roots in the plants.

For a while my temp and humidity were ideal at around 80 degrees and 50% RH. That has since changed to around 87 degrees, and 30% RH. Again probably due to the light, it was also raining a lot initially (I pull air in via the tent window that is next to a window). I've still got some tweaking to do to the tent to help with the temp. I haven't hooked up the fan directly to the air-cooled hood, or placed the glass in the hood either.

Here they are today on Day 13 since planting the clones. I'm a bit concerned with my temp and humidity. Some of the leaves at the top of the plants seem to be folding a little bit, none of them fully mature leaves though.

View attachment day 13 highworthy from above.jpg

View attachment day 13 highworthy mid range.jpg

Good luck. You can start training the sativa dominant strains now if you want. That's if your planning on lst. How many fans have you got inside the tent? I only seen that small clip on you will definitely need some more once those girls get big. Looking great good luck.

Highworthy, great feeling getting plants to grow. One small suggestion is to open up at least two round vents in the top of your tent to help let out some heat. You mentioned you've got your light cooled so you probably also have some of the screens opened at the bottom for make up air. I'm using LED'S so don't have the same situation as you do. Check out my attached picture which just shows how I hot-glued cheese cloth to the end of some 6" duct, cut to 12" to keep bugs out of the tent. Good luck growing and welcome to the forum.

View attachment IMG_0011.jpg

Good luck. You can start training the sativa dominant strains now if you want. That's if your planning on lst. How many fans have you got inside the tent? I only seen that small clip on you will definitely need some more once those girls get big. Looking great good luck.

I went ahead and started training the taller sativas last night. I just drilled holes in the lips of each pot for tie downs, and just bent each one over gently and tied down. They already turned up towards the light. I'll continue bending to more of a 90 degree angle, then bend it back around starting to form a corkscrew of sorts. Must make for interesting transplant to the 5 gallon pot I'm going to use.

That fan seems to move enough air on the lowest setting for these plants so far, but I do have a bigger oscillating fan and box fan, for when I need them.

Highworthy, great feeling getting plants to grow. One small suggestion is to open up at least two round vents in the top of your tent to help let out some heat. You mentioned you've got your light cooled so you probably also have some of the screens opened at the bottom for make up air. I'm using LED'S so don't have the same situation as you do. Check out my attached picture which just shows how I hot-glued cheese cloth to the end of some 6" duct, cut to 12" to keep bugs out of the tent. Good luck growing and welcome to the forum.

Yeah I'm super stoked. I remember looking at grow forums 10+ years ago thinking, one day when I legally can.

The light is an air cooled hood. I've recently hooked up the ducting to the hood and the inline fan, and ducting from the fan out of the top of my tent. When turned on, the fan pulls air through the light hood (which is just air from the room) and out the top of the tent. My tent is next to a window going outside, so I've slightly unzipped my grow tent window and my fan creates enough negative pressure to draw air from outside.

Good idea for more ventilation to create a "Cheesecloth Chimney" :)

Right now, I need to reverse my hood 180 degrees, so the hole in the hood that air is being pulled through is closest to the grow tent window pulling in outside air more directly.

Looks like you are off to a good start. I like lst also but I do it a little different, I top mine and tie the branches to the edge of the pot. Since this is your first time i wouldn't recommend topping until you have a few grows under your belt. Watch those sativas when you switch to 12/12 they sure do like to stretch. Looks like you have done your homework though. Good luck.

Try and use bendy wire to help with training the branches preferably something that has a plastic coating. Makes life a bit easier when transplanting. Once you train a branch after a while it will stiffen up and sort of stay in that position.

Quick update before I head out on a hike. I started my LST about 4 days ago. The Chemdawg and Sour Tangie were starting to get big. The Chiesel is still the runt. I've almost got them doing a 180 degree right hand U-turn at this point. I've put anchor points for some garden wire at the center of each side of the pot, and the corners of each (8 total). Am I doing this right? :joint4:

It would seem to make sense to transfer to my 5 gallon Smart pots once I've got a full 360. How do you guys continue LST in the fabric pots? Just poke some holes in it? :)

I still have not done anything with my Remedy (CBD) strain that is indica dominant. It's technically the tallest in the room now. I was considering topping it, despite its asymmetry. There does seem to be a "primary" top (don't know the technical term) though.

Here they are on Day 16 from first plant.

View attachment day 16 highworthy chemdawg lst.jpg

View attachment day 16 highworthy chemdawg from front up close.jpg

View attachment day 16 highworthy all plants.jpg

Last edited:
It would seem to make sense to transfer to my 5 gallon Smart pots once I've got a full 360. How do you guys continue LST in the fabric pots? Just poke some holes in it? :)

Use large safety pins. I wouldn't transplant until the plant has outgrown its current pot.

Latest posts

Back