Leaf Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoney Bud said:
Ok man, the nutes that were in the mix when you bought it are probably causing the problem. Most of them put enough nitrogen in them to cause problems with young MJ plants. It may go away as the plants get larger. So far, it doesn't look bad enough to worry about. As long as you don't put any more nutes in there until the plants are at least a foot tall, you should be ok.

Let us know if it gets any worse. Next time, don't use potting soil with nutrients already in it. Use half strength Hydro nutrients in plain soil mixed as:

One part soil
One part perilite
one part vermiculite

With 4 inches of gravel in the bottom and raised so that only the gravel is in any standing water.

ok thanks, I appreciate your help..

What kind of gravel, like rocks I pick up outside or store bought good stuff?

One part soil
One part perilite
one part vermiculite

not to critisize, more critique...and add an opinion.

"1" part soil to "2" parts inert material, sounds really weak to me. Perlite/vermic, "I don't believe" will even retain nutrients if available. I have never used "that" light of a mix. Sounds more like a hydro medium "IMHO".
20-25%(1 part perl/vermic to 3 parts soil) added perlite is plenty of aeriation..IMO

sicnarf said:
What kind of gravel, like rocks I pick up outside or store bought good stuff?

I always used river rocks. Rinsed with real hot hot water.

I went and bought a Oakton PH Pen, Thought I might need something a little more accurate then the ph drops. Currently at a ph level of 7.1

Hick said:

"1" part soil to "2" parts inert material, sounds really weak to me. Perlite/vermic, "I don't believe" will even retain nutrients if available. I have never used "that" light of a mix. Sounds more like a hydro medium "IMHO".
20-25%(1 part perl/vermic to 3 parts soil) added perlite is plenty of aeriation..IMO

If this grow works out, I will defently be mixing my own soil next time...

Here is a update as of this morning...

2-14-06 update.JPG

Nice plant. Great to see that from where this thread started. hell yeah. :D

Mutt said:
Nice plant. Great to see that from where this thread started. hell yeah. :D

Could not have done it without the forum. I have read the "Growers Handbook" and defently worth the money but does not always give you specifics like I need sometime. I'm not sure what strain I have so how long should I let her veg before I flower? Some just say just wait till she is about 18 inches high or so..

bagseed huh. I wait until alternating node or a 1.5 months. which ever comes first.

Mutt said:
bagseed huh. I wait until alternating node or a 1.5 months. which ever comes first.

From what I was told not a bagseed but I do not know for sure. When might I start to see the alternating nodes? Or what do I need to look for exactly, i'm not sure.

Ok, your arms are symetrical. one is the same on the other side. Alternating means one coming out where it is and the other coming out of your rib cage. Same concept as the nodes. This shows signs of maturity.

I have had bagseed (which means unknown strain) not show it, wierd but not show it. So 1.5 months is a good baseline. You can do a month, but I found if it is a female..this can hurt yeild. In My Very Humble Opinion.

I would get others opinion on that statement though.

Well yesterday I gave her some water, and decided to give some nutes. I gave what was the directions on the bottle for a mature veg plant, think it was like 25ml or so per gallon, mixed that up-corrected the ph to 6.5. Today the plan does not look like she wanted the extra nutrients, leaved are curling under some. Going to leave it alone untill next watering and just use some rain water that I collected last night.

Hick said:

If aeriation were the only factor to consider with perlite, you'd be correct, but when using a high light level and having the coresponding increased transperation and the resulting need for additional water, a mix of them creates the perfect enviroment for MJ roots and plants at full growth. The perilite and vermiculite both are excellant retainers of moisture.
"Essentially perlite and vermiculite are used in the horticultural industry because they both provide aeration and drainage, they can retain and hold substantial amounts of water and later release it as needed."
http://www.schundler.com/hort.htm

The gravel I suggest to be used as the bottom 4 inches is for two reasons. It adds weight to the container to help steady it, and it also holds the roots from standing water.

I've used the 1-1-1 mix as stated and it works extremly well. Yes, it's light, but it also holds water much better than most other mixes while also providing drainage. It's a win win.

WoW newguy, very nice imrovements!! looking great!

The perilite and vermiculite both are excellant retainers of moisture

"Perlite" retains water?? I don't believe that holds true. Vermiculite, yes. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't 'think' perlite has any ability to absorb nor retain nutes or water.

Hick said:
"Perlite" retains water?? I don't believe that holds true. Vermiculite, yes. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't 'think' perlite has any ability to absorb nor retain nutes or water.
A mineral, which when expanded by a heating process, forms light granules. Perlite is a good addition to container potting mixes, to promote moisture retention while allowing good drainage.

A microscopic view of it will show a particulate that has millions of water retaining crevices and holes. Great stuff.

Hick said:
WoW newguy, very nice imrovements!! looking great!

Thanks, I just recieved my MH->HPS conversion bulb, so i'm goning to start to flower in a couple weeks. She is just over a foot tall. What kind of flowering nutes would ya recommend? Think its best to start out like half strength and work up from there...? I was told that this is a NL #11 strain or Afgani Flow (which I have not heard of).

so what are the white hairs that are growing from here? I know the pic sucks but hope it helps...

Whats this.JPG

Latest posts

Back