Pot size does matter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking nice back there Blackie.

Pot size doesn't matter as much as you think.... Nice looking plants.

Pot size doesn't matter as much as you think.... Nice looking plants.

you're an exception to the rule ;) :p

but yeah, IME outdoors and/or organic, pot size makes a huge difference.

nice looking plants
:)

i dis agree some what look at my od grow their is a difference but its not as much as u think imo

I think a big difference is in the maintanence/attention they'll require.

yeah ur right ston but for a outdoor grow depending on start time id go no less then a 5 gallon bucket

Maybe this smoke will be sweet being planted between Strawberries an Watermelon.First picture in main post.

In my first post I told everybody I used M.G. I have I guess Spence they started making it. An I am not bragging, but I can plant sh_t, an it will come up roses

I have grown in everything from 4" pots (yes, to full maturity), 5 gallon buckets, 2 gallon buckets and I'm currently doing a grow in troughs with up to 10 plants in a single 7 gallon trough.

Through all these, I have seen very little difference int he end result in either potency or yield.

Check out this pic. I have some plants left over that I never got around to transplanting from their 4" cloning pots. I just set the pot in the trough and never did any more. They are not doing quite as well as the plants with more soil but.... this is pretty extreme. There's virtually nothing there but a root ball. LOL Still, the plant is not all that much smaller than the plant next to it that has plenty of dirt.

I abuse my poor plants, sometimes. LOL

View attachment troughs061314-6.jpg

I was almost embarrassed to post that. LOL

There are 4 or 5 of those in the garden. I am doing an overcrowding experiment. LOL About 40 plants in a 4x4 room. So far, the plants are not much different than when I grow with 16, 2 gallon buckets in this same room. I think hydroponics proves that pot doesn't need dirt to grow. It needs a big root structure and sufficient nutrients. My trough experiment is going rather well. 5, 7 gallon troughs with 4 plants in one, 6 in another, 8 in another, 12 in another and about 15 in the last. I have seen very little difference in them all. There has been some down side but overall it's an amazing space saver. Still, pots, troughs, buckets or whatever, I always get just about the same yield, 1 pound. Almost to the gram, every time. LOL I always thought that was pretty a pretty strange coincidence. About 6 weeks until harvest. We'll see, this time.

lol id put some more dirt in that pot if ur gonna leave it in their and id trim that bottom growth off

Hackerman when i first started growing i grew 2 plants one topped with 4 colas and the other left ala natural with one cola...they weighed exactly the same. I couldn't believe it.

yeah ur right ston but for a outdoor grow depending on start time id go no less then a 5 gallon bucket

Yeah, totally agree with that too. Depending on when they start and how long to veg before flower is a big difference too. But started at the same time, only real difference I'd bet would be the watering/feeding schedules

yes ur right the watering is different in my 5 gal then the totes i hat to do them more often and only see a lil difference in the totes being a lil wider but then again they are in a lil bit beter location so idk

I grow in nothing bigger than One Gallon pots and have even done a couple grows from start to finish in red Solo cups. Ran 8 lolipop clones in 8 Solo cups and grew some pretty big colas in those tiny cups. So imho pot size doesn't matter as much as some think. When I harvest the One Gallon pots are pretty much nothing but a root ball. It looks like the roots consumed the soil. Do I think it's a little easier and more convenient to grow in larger pots? Hell Yeah, the Single Biggest drawback to growing in smaller pots and containers is how often you need to water and feed. It is a hug PITA and when doing the Solo cups I had to put 4 cups each into square containers and water till there was about a half inch of run off in the bottom. This way they would suck it up as they needed it and get me through to the next watering. I remember watering 3 times a day for a while. It sucked but the yield and potency where good. Just not worth the headaches, so I won't be going smaller than One Gallon again.

Latest posts

Back