Satori.... how long do you flower yours?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, you can say that again. I have been burning it on both ends since I can remember. I must be at least 100 by now. LOL

Man, does my house stink. LOL

I decided to take these Satori a few days early. I am busy most of the rest of the week and today was the only day I have to spend as long as it takes to get this done. Geeze, even these 4 plants are stinking up the house like crazy. LOL Time to get out the ionizer.
While negative ion generators do a great job at removing smells, they also cause fluoro to flicker from the electrical charge in the air. If the ionizer is in the grow space and it is flowering, it may lead to hermi's and loose airy buds.

Cool, thanks.

I leave the ionizer in another part of the house. And, only as needed. I never liked ionizers so I use it sparingly. However, when it comes to killing odors, nothing beats it.

Well, looks like I may find out how this Sleestack Skunk smokes when harvested at 5 weeks. LOL

Hermie

I had 2 plants in my flower room that were clone of a hermie that I didn't know was a hermie until after the clones were in the flower room. The mother was a mild hermie with only a couple nanners here and there so I figured I would let these clones continue since they had been flowering for 3 or 4 weeks anyway.

Yesterday, at week 5, I had to pinch some nanners off her. First ones I have seen so far. I hate to take her now. I would love to let her finish. It's only another 4 weeks or so.

There are 2 of them. I trimmed all the bottom branches off of both so I could keep an eye on the main cola and the dozen or so buds above the canopy.

But, I am having my doubts. I have 6 beautiful Satori in the same room that I would hate to harvest full of seeds. LOL

Just can't decide whether to leave them and watch them closely. Or, yummy yummy, yummy....put them in my tummy. LOL

They have a lot of trics and, oddly enough, many of them are cloudy already.

I don't know. It's awesome smoke. I love the taste. I hate to take them at 5 weeks. Seems such a waste.

Decisions, decisions... I'll need to smoke a joint and think about this. LOL

You need an emergency room. I suggest the master bath, put an led or something in there and finish her... don't let he/she spew on our lovely satori girls... Drastic times call for drastic measures... I have a spare t 5 in mine and one in an armour... it comes in handy. lol Good luck and bummer on the hermie... good to know. I hate hermies.

Just an interesting observation .....

The one hermie showed some nanners right in the top center of the cola. So, I pinched off a small portion of the bud (including the nanners and a very tiny surrounding area).

I have never "fimmed" a plant during veg but I have read about it and seem pics of the results. Essentially, that's what I did to it here in week 5 of flower.

I guess, as should be expected, it took off in about 3 or 4 directions and kept right on building.

So, while the other plants are "crowning" as some strains do toward the end, this hermie that I pinched is pushing a nice fat top right to the end.

Not quite a foxtail like a heavy Sativa because it's real solid and not fluffy. I can't tell yet if it's going to actually result in more weight or not.

Just an interesting observation. I have seen people fimm in veg before but never in flower. I may try this again and do some more comparatives.

I am at day 56 with one pheno and it's really weird.

Of the 6 plants, 3 got real purple. These were the 3 that were closest to the light. They look the most mature in terms of the leaves and the buds and the trichs are a dark dark, almost black color. About 2%. The rest are cloudy. The hairs are a nice shade of red.

The other 3 were more shaded from the light and spent most of their life under the canopy or behind one of the purple plants. They never took on the purple color and their buds are still very green and full of white white hairs. Even the fan leaves are still green. I do see some light amber trichs but most are just clear or cloudy.

I had some dark trichs on this pheno as early as 2 weeks into flowering.

Same pheno... 2 very different plants, based on the difference in environment, mostly the light exposure (also less air movement, more water (because of slower transpiration) and whatever else).

I really go more by the condition of the trichs than the color. Especially, it seems, with the strong Sativa strains. When the plant reaches full maturity, the stalks on the trichs begin to shrink and shrivel. I never let a plant go past that, no matter what the color of the trichs.

So, on this one pheno, we are at only 56 days (a full week earlier than most everyone) and on 3 plants we have some trichs that are black black on plants that I feel are NOT ready yet. And we have 3 plants with clear/cloudy trichs that are starting to decay a little.

I don't think any of these plants are going to make 63 days. I am busy the next few days but I am thinking Thursday or Friday (day 59 or 60).

I will say one thing. This Satori (both phenos) has most frosty buds and leaves that I have ever had on a plant. There are places on the buds where you can't even see the plant matter for the solid wall of trichs.

I love touching, trimming and playing with my plants at this stage. Your hands get all smelly and everything you touch smells like violets. LOL

I am at day 56 with one pheno and it's really weird.

Of the 6 plants, 3 got real purple. These were the 3 that were closest to the light. They look the most mature in terms of the leaves and the buds and the trichs are a dark dark, almost black color. About 2%. The rest are cloudy. The hairs are a nice shade of red.

The other 3 were more shaded from the light and spent most of their life under the canopy or behind one of the purple plants. They never took on the purple color and their buds are still very green and full of white white hairs. Even the fan leaves are still green. I do see some light amber trichs but most are just clear or cloudy.

I had some dark trichs on this pheno as early as 2 weeks into flowering.

Same pheno... 2 very different plants, based on the difference in environment, mostly the light exposure (also less air movement, more water (because of slower transpiration) and whatever else).

I really go more by the condition of the trichs than the color. Especially, it seems, with the strong Sativa strains. When the plant reaches full maturity, the stalks on the trichs begin to shrink and shrivel. I never let a plant go past that, no matter what the color of the trichs.

So, on this one pheno, we are at only 56 days (a full week earlier than most everyone) and on 3 plants we have some trichs that are black black on plants that I feel are NOT ready yet. And we have 3 plants with clear/cloudy trichs that are starting to decay a little.

I don't think any of these plants are going to make 63 days. I am busy the next few days but I am thinking Thursday or Friday (day 59 or 60).

I will say one thing. This Satori (both phenos) has most frosty buds and leaves that I have ever had on a plant. There are places on the buds where you can't even see the plant matter for the solid wall of trichs.

I love touching, trimming and playing with my plants at this stage. Your hands get all smelly and everything you touch smells like violets. LOL
do you hand water from a larger mixed source? i found mixing 30-60 gallon of nutes at a time resulted in settling and higher ec towards the end of the barrels. this of course resulted in some plants getting more of whatever was settling in the mix and they either looked more burned and locked out or just crazy growth pasted the rest. started mixing earlier, and mixing the drums while watering this fixxed the issue of irregularity in developement

I mix my nutes in 1 gallon jugs.... one gallon at a time. And then, water right from the jug.

Sometimes (depending on how crowded it is) I mix in 5 gallon buckets and use a pump and watering wand.

I always heard you should use nutes as soon as they are mixed and not let them sit overnight or longer.

I mix my nutes in 1 gallon jugs.... one gallon at a time. And then, water right from the jug.

Sometimes (depending on how crowded it is) I mix in 5 gallon buckets and use a pump and watering wand.

I always heard you should use nutes as soon as they are mixed and not let them sit overnight or longer.

this is true never let mixed nutes sit, lots of not good things are only going to happen.

im finally getting away from hand watering, just too much work every night. pump and drip system is in place now just need final tweakings

I have had a dozen automatic watering systems since I started growing in the 60's and none of them ever worked right. I had floods, droughts, over watering, under watering. LOL

However, the biggest problem has always been the uneven growth of plants (especially in an overcrowded space). Since plants don't all grow the same, they don't all need the same amount of water.

And, as you start over watering a plant, the problem becomes worse as the plants transpires less and the water builds up causing even less transpiration, root problems and eventually, death.

Just recently, I have been re-thinging about an automated system and I am convinced that the only way it's going to work for me is if I use an Arduino system. This way, each pot/plant can be monitored by a moisture sensor and water can be fed to individual plants according to the plants needs.

I just don't see a mass watering system working correctly. Are you planning a "timed" system that releases the same amount of water to all plants?

The nicest thing about the Arduino is that is can control an entire grow room from anywhere in the world via your cell phone. You could monitor any of the conditions in the room and vary any part of the environment. Might be cool to put the plants into flower and take a 2 month vacation, only to return to a room ready for harvest. :)

EDIT: Something I just thought of. If you are mixing 30 gal drums and pumping out of that for watering, you might try a pump in the BOTTOM of the drum or use magnetic stirrers to minimized settlement. Even with my little 5 gallon pump system, I always have nutes that settled in the bottom of the bucket when I was done watering.

Well, I need to pull that hermie pheno right away. My band has a gig tonight so I can't but if I am not hungover tomorrow, it has to happen. They are opening all kinds of nanners and I just can't pinch them off fast enough. I hope this has not ruined the crop of the other pheno. The buds are looking a lot like seed pods building.

So, these come out at about day 59 or 60.

Hopefully, the other pheno will go the full 63 days. That is about 2 weeks from now (one pheno went 12/12 about 11 days after the other so their harvest time is a little staggered. Not my usual M.O.)

I have had a dozen automatic watering systems since I started growing in the 60's and none of them ever worked right. I had floods, droughts, over watering, under watering. LOL

However, the biggest problem has always been the uneven growth of plants (especially in an overcrowded space). Since plants don't all grow the same, they don't all need the same amount of water.

And, as you start over watering a plant, the problem becomes worse as the plants transpires less and the water builds up causing even less transpiration, root problems and eventually, death.

Just recently, I have been re-thinging about an automated system and I am convinced that the only way it's going to work for me is if I use an Arduino system. This way, each pot/plant can be monitored by a moisture sensor and water can be fed to individual plants according to the plants needs.

I just don't see a mass watering system working correctly. Are you planning a "timed" system that releases the same amount of water to all plants?

The nicest thing about the Arduino is that is can control an entire grow room from anywhere in the world via your cell phone. You could monitor any of the conditions in the room and vary any part of the environment. Might be cool to put the plants into flower and take a 2 month vacation, only to return to a room ready for harvest. :)

EDIT: Something I just thought of. If you are mixing 30 gal drums and pumping out of that for watering, you might try a pump in the BOTTOM of the drum or use magnetic stirrers to minimized settlement. Even with my little 5 gallon pump system, I always have nutes that settled in the bottom of the bucket when I was done watering.

yes im watering out of 60 gallon drums with nutes all mixed up in them, the settling was what i was refering to that makes the issues of one girl doing better than the rest of vice versa. i just keep mixing with my 18 volt dewalt drill and a drywall mud paddle mixer, now that i learned the issue

Not sure if you're in a legal state or not but if I were growing commercially and legally I wouldn't dream of doing it without an automated system. And, the Arduino is definitely the way to go. The Arduino has data sensors that will monitor every environmental variable imaginable. They have sensors that will not only monitor moisture in the soil but they will also monitor the pH, the temperature and even the conductivity of your water (if you're doing hydro).

Then, it uses electronic valves and pumps to provide water as needed, change temperature, increase or decrease light, wind or whatever. You could even use a small robot arm to mix nutes and do other small manual tasks...... all using your cellphone (if desired).

They have sensors for light (lumens and spectrum monitoring), air, CO2, temperature, wind direction, etc, etc. You name it, they have an Arduino module that does it. They even offer a hydroponics kit that has all this stuff in it already.

And, the best part, is that it is all open source projects so prices are low low and support is high high. One would probably need the right kind of brain to put it all together and make it all work right but there are a lot of people who are more than capable.

Do a Google of "Arduino Garden" and you'll see all kinds of cool stuff.

If you're in California, provide me a place to park my RV and I'll come out and spend a few months setting it all up for you. ;) I am headed that way some time this year and I am going to need a place to park. LOL

Check out this RV I am going to see tomorrow. This is a new line of very small RV's, just made for a man and his dog. LOL This one is only 25' overall. That's only a few feet longer than my car. Yet, look at the room. Very cool .......

View attachment coachmen-prism-2200le-bf6037-int-002-VL.jpg

View attachment coachmen-prism-2200le-bf6037-int-033-VL.jpg

Not sure if you're in a legal state or not but if I were growing commercially and legally I wouldn't dream of doing it without an automated system. And, the Arduino is definitely the way to go. The Arduino has data sensors that will monitor every environmental variable imaginable. They have sensors that will not only monitor moisture in the soil but they will also monitor the pH, the temperature and even the conductivity of your water (if you're doing hydro).

Then, it uses electronic valves and pumps to provide water as needed, change temperature, increase or decrease light, wind or whatever. You could even use a small robot arm to mix nutes and do other small manual tasks...... all using your cellphone (if desired).

They have sensors for light (lumens and spectrum monitoring), air, CO2, temperature, wind direction, etc, etc. You name it, they have an Arduino module that does it. They even offer a hydroponics kit that has all this stuff in it already.

And, the best part, is that it is all open source projects so prices are low low and support is high high. One would probably need the right kind of brain to put it all together and make it all work right but there are a lot of people who are more than capable.

Do a Google of "Arduino Garden" and you'll see all kinds of cool stuff.

If you're in California, provide me a place to park my RV and I'll come out and spend a few months setting it all up for you. ;) I am headed that way some time this year and I am going to need a place to park. LOL

Check out this RV I am going to see tomorrow. This is a new line of very small RV's, just made for a man and his dog. LOL This one is only 25' overall. That's only a few feet longer than my car. Yet, look at the room. Very cool .......

oh i saw all the nifty things the raspberry pis can do, i love the endless possibilities

the rvs today are awesome, plenty of room with the pop outs. they have definitely stepped it up from the one in christmas vacation.
Christmas-Vacation-Shitters-Full-201.gif

and theres always room man. services for the rv are just around the corner too

Couple FYI's. I got the 15 minute timer today.... just in time for harvest day.

This second pheno of Satori is 69 days and there is still not a single amber on 6 plants. Some cloudy but, I'll bet 30 to 40% clear, still. Not sure if it's environmental or just this pheno.

In any even, today is harvest day.

And, on a side note, may I say, God Bless the person who came up with the idea of the rotary bud trimmer. Although growing pot is totally fun, harvesting and trimming your plants is probably the least fun of all the fun. LOL And, these trimmers (that look like a BBQ grill with the blade under the grill) are a true Godsend. Just pop the buds off the main stem and crank the handle.... I just love mine.

I will let you know how much difference the intermittent timer makes on this harvest vs last month's harvest. I am really hoping for a major difference. I have never been 100% happy with the way I dry and cure my pot. I am really going to focus on that, now.

Thanks again to everyone here. My quality and yield have both increased since I have been here. I owe ya all a joint. ;)

Hey hackerman, can you give me a link for your rotary bud trimmer? I really like to have a good one that helps me trim my bud easily

It's one of the standard rotary trimmers that came out early on. There are a number of companies that have made them since. I'm pretty sure that this is the model I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-9000S-Ser...380739?hash=item20fff7c283:g:qOoAAOSwyQtVvGuJ

They make a 16" and a 19" as I recall. I think I have the 16".

I can't imagine a harvest without one. I remember trimming all those tiny little buds by hand for all those years.

Plus, the resulting trim from these rotary trimmers makes an incredible screen hash.

View attachment s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: zem
I have one like that Hackerman and also use it all the time. I got it about a year ago after I used someone elses and saw how cool they worked. I always thought they looked like a salad spinner.

That is the coolest little motorhome. I will have a place for you to park if you find yourself in my vicinity in eastern Oregon.

Latest posts

Back