This has got me Super Skunked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimszo

Reaction score
I planted a feminized super skunk indoors on 2-23-16. Was growing great for 3-4 weeks. Healthy green color with no signs of any problems. Grew to 11 inches and stopped growing. Plant is very bushy for as old as it is. I know many things may play a part but if anyone can trim down the possibilities it would be great.

What are your feeding...... what is your medium........ what kind of light are you using....... are you keeping them under light 24/7......... can we get a picture.

Most likely not enough light and correct ventilation. Small plants do not require much light, but as they get older they need lots of quality light and proper air exchange. If you can answer Grower13's questions, we could be of help.

This is first time indoors. I'm growing in soil using the same ferts. as outdoor,Miracle Grow which has worked well outdoors. I'm using a 300 watt MARS HYDRO LED that I planned to use until plant was 16-20 inches in a 22x22 box then move to an old reclaimed refrigerator with a 600 watt MARS HYDRO LED. Light times are 18 on and 6 off. I have to admit that I didn't put the fan in until it was almost 4 weeks old. Can't put a pic on yet but it looks very healthy. Maybe cut my losses and try to flower it. Any help greatly appreciated. TY

I found that Mirical grow works well outdoors but inside I have had issues.( not sure why). I would also suggest you get the plants healthy before flowering. Possable to run you light 24/7?

tcabs

First, ditch the Miracle Grow products. I could give you a dozen very good reasons not to use it, but the most compelling is that it simply does not work well on cannabis. Get something formulated fot cannabis.

Second, run your lights 24/7. Cannabis is in a class of plants that will grow all the time it has light. An 18/6 light schedule encourages stretch and lengthens veg times.

I believe that you are going to find it extremely difficult to convert a refrigerator to a grow space and I think you will also find it too small. One of the things with LED s is that they need to be kept 18-24" from the canopy, which means you need some height to your space. Have you considered a tent?

Unfortunately I have been quite unhappy with my Mars LEDs. First, keepin mind that the LEDs only run at about 1/2 power, so that your 300w is actually less than150w. You might want to switch to the 600w now, but keep vegging if it is still small.

Why can't you post a pic?

Outdoors MG has worked well for veg. but for flower I use Tiger Bloom. I'll try something else for veg.. That's why I joined this site. Learning indoor tricks.
Didn't know about 24x7 either! A wealth of knowledge just by a couple of reply's. I didn't think a plant only about 4 weeks old could have growth totally stopped because of inadequate ventilation! Never make that one again.
Refrigerator, after all inner molded plastic is removed, the inner box is unbolted from the shell and removed, the fiberglass insulation is removed from between the inner and outer box, you have a (blunt break) metal box with magnetically sealing doors measuring 30x26x52 inches. All ya need is lights, a fan and a couple of charcoal filtered ventilation holes. Almost totally sealed for a mini climate house!
THANKS MUCH for the replies!
Pic is attached (I hope)

View attachment tn.jpg

LOL--do you want something that works "good" or do you want something that works outstanding? And even if MG "works" there is a myriad of other reasons to not use it. Mostly that they are in bed with Scott's and Monsanto who are poisoning the earth and killing people in the search for big; ;bucks. If we do start caring about this now, there will not be an inhabitable earth for our grandchildren and their children. As an old hippy, this is a real concern to me.

Well as plants CANNOT photosynthesize without adequate CO2 levels, it is possible that growth almost stops if they have none. However, it is probably a combination of things.

You asked for advise. A refer really does not work well. If it did, others would be doing this. I would guess that all of us that have been growing any amount of time (I have been growing for decades) also have tried to use a large fridge or freezer because of how stealth you could make it......but we do not. Why? Because it is hard as @#$% to drill the outer metal shell for cords and ventilation, it gets hot as it is metal, and they really are too small to produce much. Also 52" probably is probably not enough height for a 600W Mars LED. I have a tent that is 62" tall and not tall enough for my 700W Mars LED.

Didn't know MG was anti earth! Won't see anymore of my money!
Still gonna try fridge deal. I've got nothing but time and seeds to play with.
Can I somehow restart the plant that totally stopped growing but is still very healthy? Maybe I should try to flower it or pull it, dry it and burn my losses.
Thanks for the experienced help.

When did it stop? I wouldn't do anything for a bit except what the folks above have suggested. I would like to see a pic with natural light. And, you are in great hands here. Welcome.

I wouldn't be for trashing it. Let's start with exactly what kind of soil that you planted in? And exactly what kind of MG nutes were you giving it? What are your temps? How far above the canopy is the light? How often are you feeding it? Are you checking pH? Improper pH can lock out nutrients--I.e. even if you are feeding them, they cannot uptake the nutes if the pH is way off. Where did you get the seed? Was it a reputable breeder? The more you tell us about your grow, the better we will be able to help get this plant back on track.

I think super skunk is gonna be a short Indica type of plant......... much like the Buckeye purple grown by a few here......... takes it forever to get 2 foot tall.

Soil is topsoil with manure and compost. Same I use outdoors. Not keeping track of any added nutes because MG always worked for me outdoors. The only thing different is the artificial light. Never checked the PH but I will now.
Plant started under 300 watt MARS HYDRO LED then was going to put under 600 watt MHL at about 15 inches. Light is usually 24 inches above plants.
Feeding was with MG half strength. Watering is about every 3 days with MG on the third day. If I see a problem starting I'll give and extra feeding the second day of the watering cycle and that usually fixed it before it got out of hand.
Seeds come from a shop I dealt with before with no issues.
This isn't a life or death problem but I've never encountered this before. With all of the herbus delectus scholars on this site ya gotta learn ya sumtin. Thank you ya all!

What does the MG have in it? Just saying you are feeding MG nutes really tells us nothing. We do need to know exactly what kind of MG it is and what it has in it in the way of nutrients.

Also top soil is a lot of times really sucky dirt. It is really really important to start with very good soil. A lot of people build their own soil. You need things in it like perlite to aid with drainage. Most people add lime to help with pH buffering. I think that I would flush it (to get rid of those MG nutes) and then transplant it into some good soil. If you are 100% organic, pH is not generally an issue unless it way out of whack, as the soil feeds the plants rather than a nutrient solution.

I think you should also go to your bigger light. A 300W Mars just doesn't put out a huge amount of light. Since you have a 600W, use it.

Although we cannot see the coloring of the leaves, which is an indiction of overall health, the plant has close internodal spacing and from what we can see, it appears healthy. I NEVER give up on a healthy plant. I am confident that we can get that plant back growing like it should be!

Latest posts

Back