Sativas with Indicas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skavenger

Reaction score
Hi Im wondering if its not that much of problem to grow sativas side by side with Indicas? I read in another forum that it becomes a major pain

Hmm, I don't see the problem or a major pain but I'd like to hear more about if there is a preference with this or not.

sorry I meant cuz the canopy would be uneven and have to put the indicas up on crates and stuff

Dont you see the grow journals on here everyone grows sat with ind. If your grow room is spaced out all the plants get light. If your plants are bunched up then youd have to boost the smaller plants up.

Check out my first grow thread on here. I am growing many different types of indo and sat strains side by side. Just need to make room for the difference in height. Sativa's usually tend to grow taller.

You solved your own question. it is just about getting the indicas to the same level. in some cases the closer you have the light to the canopy the more light they get. you will just slow the indicas down if then are un even.

Alot of people grow bag seed and they dont know if they indica or sativa so there are no real problems with growing together apart from the one you just solved.

Gd Growing mate.

Great Idea!! you could make some interesting Hybrids. Nature favors Diversity and mother knows best!!!:D

Well, aside from the height issues (Sativas can hit 12-15' easily and Indica's only ~5'), the nute requirements are very different.

What would starve an indica could burn a sativa right up.

Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

DD

I've seen some folks make it work, and others end in disaster...I think if you do alot of training and topping on your sats...it can be done fairly easily. Like DD said the plants will require different things..but this is true with any grow. They also have products on the market (bushmaster) that will stop verticle growth...so there are ways to do it, it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend daily with your girls.

i am growing both side by side right now and i can see the problem with needing to keep them level. one problem i did have though is not being able to pick them all at the same time. there are such big differences in flowering times that i would pick half thew room and have alot of open space till the sativas were done. once i learned how to "perpetual harvest" properly the problem was solved. one other inconvenience was setting up different solution systems for each type. a little work and some planning and i no longer have the problems i did before and i still grow the different varieties side by side. good luck and happy growing.

Hey Ta2d growing sativas and indicas together, is a very common sight. Most folks do it without knowing what they are in for. IMO there are certain phases that growers go through, that are a natural part of the learning curve. Canopy management is just one of those. Obviously canopy management can be applied to flowering indicas and sativas together or a perpetual harvest. In the beginning of this thread you mentioned topping, does it give you a bigger harvest? Well the truth is that a simple question like that, has a rather complicated answer. Topping and LST are tools, for canopy management. Indoors, this is a relatively important aspect to master, because of light penetration and the total number of budding sites, once flowering begins. I believe subjects like this can be hard to describe to someone. But once someone understands it by experience, they wind up using it for many other aspects of growing.
So the answer to whether topping or LST will give you a larger yield...all depends. Because by itself it will not, but by being used correctly ...it can. For me it is very hard to put experience like this into words. So I just keep quiet. Good luck.;)

Latest posts

Back