ph raised alot over night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stark

Reaction score
I'm growing in 5g bucket DWC. Changed the water out last friday, 550ppm (GH 3 part) and ph was 5.7. The ph stayed at 5.7 till yesterday morning and it was 7.0. Got it back down to where it should be. This morning it was back to 6.4

I have no idea why this happens.

when you adjust the ph after adding nutes,i let mine set for several mins and re-check.sometimes the ph will rise if you have to adjust over 2-3 points.

You don't have enough nutes in your solution. Your plants feeding is whats causeing the PH swing. Add a bit of K (bloom) and it will both bring down your ph AND provide your plants with the nutrients they need. Or change out your res and bring them up a couple hundred ppm. Also if you are going to use distilled water add a couple cups of tap water to it to help buffer the solution. Distilled water has a negative charge or some such thing I can't remember off the top of my head but I know it creates an unbalanced solution and most nutrients are not designed to be used with distilled water.

Sounds like a buffering issue
You need to have buffering to keep a stable pH
to raise GH (general hardness) add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) About a pinch teaspoon per 10 gallons.
to raise GH & KH add calcium carbonate, sea shells, coral, limestone, marble chips
Distilled water has no buffering capacity because most minerals are stripped during the process
Good Luck and remember do everything in small increments and keep notes for later reference
Check out a guide on pH
My website has lots of info, you can contact me for a URL

Latest posts

Back