Red Spectrum T5 bulbs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongofury

Need a light?
Reaction score
Can Red Spectrum T5 bulbs be used for flower ? And if they can, is a different ballast needed? I was thinking of having an Auto plant grow changing to the redt5's in the veg tent after the photo period's go 12/12 in another tent. I was thinking again.

the blub would have to be the wattage the ballast is built to push........ there are 3 different wattages of T5's I know of........ the high output one isn't nearly energy efficient as the lowest wattage t5....... t5 veg great........ not so good at flower....... if they were we'd all be using them.

Thanks Grower. So your saying the t5's will work but would not be energy efficient?

OH, Sounds like I should get a tubular air cooled 600 watt HPS so it will fit in my 2X4X5' tent. Thank Grower.

that would be a good idea, you can later upsize to 3x4 with that same ligh

We had someone here who used T5s all the way through and I'm thinking it was Weedhopper. While they will work, an HPS, if you can swing it, will produce a lot more.

you'll loose quality of bud

Ive been flowering with T5s for years and you will not lose quality... your yields will not be spectacular but the bud def is TOP SHELF if you can grow...

I run 5-2bulb fixtures in a 2x4 tent... 6 bloom and 4 veg bulbs 8 plants this run... last one to get chopped today but its gonna be over 9zips jarred... most of the pics I have posted here are T5 flowered buds... :48:

Yeah I loved my T5 grows,,all I had to do was change bulbs when i went from vegg to flower. Plus i could keep them right on top of the canopy. My Buds were not as huge as ive seen from HPS,,but they were nice and fairly dense.

I used a 6 bulb HO T5 fixture for plants in veg state for years.

I once bought the 2700 kelvin bulbs and used them to flower some Blueberry. I got some nice bud!

The buds were not as dense as using a HPS light, but they smoked great and were very potent. I was pleasantly surprised.

Make sure you don't use the T5s sold in say Lowes. They will not work well for flowering. The High Output T5 fixture and bulbs will be needed.

All the best to you and your grows!

Oh by the way. I was told HO T5s would not work for flowering by two other growers.

I ended up selling that fixture and the bulbs to one of them!

He periodically uses that fixture for flowering. ha ha

Yeah thats funny. My buds were flowered by T5s,,,and they tasted awesome and were very potent.

I am on my 4th grow so I am no expert but I use t5 bulbs from start to finish. I am in my 6th week of some buckeye purple and super buckeye now. I have used a 4 bulb fixture but this grow added a 2 bulb. Getting some frosty buds. Have been growing Thai so they have had airy buds. We will see in a few weeks how the t5 bulbs work for me with indica dominant strains.

And I use 2700 kelvin go bulbs for the most part but have 2 10000 kelvin bulbs with uv a. Uv is spoda increase trichinae production I have heard...

My T5 grows look as good as any LED grows ive seen.

That is awesome you guys! I had no idea. Jaam, i didn't know you flowered with T5's. I love my T5's too. had no idea you could flower with them. See, old dog, new tricks.

I must be getting old, duh, but the sound of HPS and the energy they take is off putting. One reason i like LED, is they are quiet. But, if you can do it with T5's ...very cool.

I've had no problem using T5s for both veg and bloom.I have two 2x4 8 bulb fixtures going atm,one with veg bulbs and the other with bloom.I am currently using both for flowering along with my 600w hps and all I'm noticing is a little size difference.Use what ya got to get what ya can! I just noticed this is post "420" for me.Not bad for a 6 year total!LOL

Latest posts

Back