How To : "GERMINATE YOUR SEEDS"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dankerz

To get your seeds to germinate you can do this in many ways. such as germinating them in the soil you will be growing in, or germinating them in grow plugs,jiffy grow cubes or with a starter tray from your garden store filled with germinating starter soil.
The way i like to do it is the "papertowel in a ziplock bag method" for this you will need all of about 4 things! Seeds,Ziplock sandwhich bag,papertowel,water.
now when using tap water or water from your sink make sure you let it sit for atleast 24hours to kill some of the unwanted stuff such as chlorine and such or you can just use bottled or filtered water.

1. take a piece of paper towell and lay your seeds out on it as shown in pics.
2. take the water of choice and get the paper towell and seeds wet but not soaking wet, i like to ring the paper towel out a little to get rid of excess water.
3. lightly fold the papertowel over your seeds.
4. take the wet papertowel with seeds and place them inside of ziplock bag & seal the bag.
5. place the ziplock,papertowel,seeds in a warm dark area like ontop of your fridge,ontop of your cable box or in a warm closet etc. if its not totaly dark it wont really matter as long as its warm-70-80F should be fine to get them to germ.
6. Make sure to check your seeds every 12/24 hours and make sure that they or the papertowel is not getting dry and if it is lighty moisten the papertowel and put back in bag. while your checking the wet papertowel, peel the papertowel back and check if your seeds have sprouted a little white tip from its shell, if it has a white tip(root) sticking out of the shell by atleast a 1/4" its time to plant them in your growing medium. :D

48hours later: now after being in the ziplock for exactly 48 hours i peeled the papertowel open to find my 2 seeds have sprouted open with a 1/4" white tip root.(pic) now they are ready to be planted in their soil mix.. i used what was laying around.. miraclegrow with nutes. so i poked a few holes in the bottom of a foam cup and filled it with the soilmix, than i poked 2 holes using a pencil in the top of the soil(pic) and placed the 2 seeds root tip down into the soil(pic) than lightly covered them over. I than sprayed the top layer of soil with water and set them by my window.

24 hours after placing the germed seeds in the soil, we now have them just breaking the soil surface. now all you need to do is give them light eather outdoors or indoors and water them when the pots are dry. after 3 weeks you can start giving them a light dose of ferts if they look to be needing it.

quick question , wat does germintating seeds do ? i just put them in water overnight n wait till they settle to the bottom , put them tip up in the soil , cover and watch it grow

Germinating seeds just let you KNOW the seed is going to come up i guess. It's just how you were learned to grow or how you like to grow. Some just stick the beans into the soil and let them come up. Some germinate. I personally prefer to germinate, it was how i was taught and my preference. Yours may be diff.

~Burn One~
Dewayne

Mother Nature never used paper towels or a baggie.
"IMHO"...this method is simply 'another' oppurtunity to muff them up. Those embryo's are delicate, Handling/moving/touching them dureing that stage is a risk.
There was a time that I employed "out of container germination", no mas
I prefer to drop 1 seed in 1 hole, approximately one half inch deep, in a quality organic soil, (FFOC) well saturated. Temps around 75F and keep 'em 'moist'.

that is the method i use. I let my seeds stay in the towels for about a week. by this time, the sprout will be completly popped out of the shell and it has a root about 4 or 5 inches long. I just stretch the root down in the soil deep enough so the top of the sprout is just above the dirt.

If you want to germinate like this, it helps to put the seeds and towels inside old CD cases and store the cases upright on the same edge for the whole week. This way, the root grows directly downward making it easier to plant.

Most people plant them as soon as the seed cracks, but I found it works better to just wait and plant the whole sprout.

Not bad, I followed sensi seeds guide with two plates together like a clam, I'll see how it turns up in 2 days.

Also, genetics of hemp seeds sends the tap root in a 180 degree turn upon popping, so always put your seeds in your grow medium TIP UP, as they will turn down naturally. I you face them tip down, it will have to turn twice and loose precious growing energy (vital during primary seedling development!)

is it just my computer?how come i cant see any pictures?

Ok, not too beat a dead horse here, but I couldn't seem to find an answer to my specific question.

Here's my question:

If one was going to grow Hydroponically, and planning on using L.E.C.A (Light Expanded Clay Aggregate) as the medium for growth, how would you (assuming more then one will respond...I hope) germinate your seeds?

Thanks in advance.

The best way I can answer your question is to tell you to follow what the other people have said regarding the paper towel method....let the tip grow out about 1/4" and then GENTLY GENTLY GENTLY(i cant stress this enough) place the seed, root down in a grow cube.....i have used rockwool grow cubes in the past, they seem to work pretty well....you can buy them at hydro stores or online, they're cheap.....jsut remember to 1.use distilled water(even though some users mention tap water...i think distilled is your best bet. 2.dont touch the root with your fingers and try not to rough it up too much placing it in the rockwool cube. once youve done that, place the cube into your grow medium...push it down in there so that the top of the cube is as close to flush with the top of the grow medium as possible....thats the method thats worked best for me

I have noticed nearly ALL the post I read suggest placing the seed in the soil tap root down. This contradicts the research I have done. I am not trying to tell anyone thay are wrong, I just want to share this info:
The following were taken from "MARIJUANA the cultivators handbook" by Bill Drake.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

Just like your picture shows. After the taproot has came out 1/4in. it turns just like you said and you point tip of taproot down. Only do this if the taproot has done it's turn. So yes, point tip of taproot down when it has came out 1/4in. and turned, otherwise it goes up. Just depends how your looking at which direction taproot is going.

Still worried about doing it to some 80$ seeds! It's the only way i've ever done it!

the tap root will find its way down, its not like the thing will grow upside down. I normally use the paper towel method, but 2 days ago i dropped 5 beans in a glass of water, now all 5 have cracked and are ready for soil. Its almost guaranteed to sprout, if the tap root shows. From my experience.

Latest posts

Back