DIY dual 150W Cooltube

• Thread starter The Hemp Goddess
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
Okay, i admit it, I am apparently too high. I cannot get all the pictures to attach properly. I will continue this tomorrow

Is that possible? Too High?

Hemp Goddess, you are so intelligent about this. How long have you been growing? I have a looooong way to catch up to you. I hope I'm as smart about it one day like you are ;)

And thanks for the guidance and pics..........very helpful :)

My main problem is that I am on disability and can't afford everything all at one time. I guess I'm better of as a "buyer" for now. At least until I magickally run across a bunch of money and able to afford the right equipment, etc.........I can barely afford an ounce of mids in a month. If I could afford it I'd probably go through 3, 4 or 5. Since I go through my weed so fast I've had to make "smoking rules" for myself......like, no smoking before 8pm and making 1 bowl last through that evening..........SO LAME! :cry:

I was in your boat too, HG, I couldn't afford much more than the bag a week and thought I'd not be able to do this! I saved up and spent all my money on a 1000w HPS....and am now smoking all I want, when I want without worry of running out! It now costs me merely the elec and whatever incidental costs during the grow, most of the stuff needed already on hand from first grows, a fraction of the cost of keeping me in bags (buying) monthly! I went without weed for a couple weeks (bummed off a good friend, THANKS!!!!!), but the sacrifice has paid off huge!

Look around, try to find ANYTHING that'll help...even yard sales and such! You may even have the light already and not realize it. Don't give up, you can do this!

I put this light together for about $20. Like I said, keep your eyes open for good deals. You can probably set up a room for what you can buy an oz for. I am quite sure that I only had about $100-$125 in my little scrog closet grow. This included materials to build a box in the closet, the dual 150W HPS, the scrog unit, a small oscillating fan and a larger computer fan for exhaust.

nice thread! i would use this diy, but i would rather my lights be in seperate cool tubes so i can cover more area.

ruufuus said:
nice thread! i would use this diy, but i would rather my lights be in seperate cool tubes so i can cover more area.

LOL--just put them in two separate cool tubes then.

However, 2 150W HPS are only good for about 6 sq ft. I used them in 4 sq ft, but believe that the light would have disbursed well over another 2 sq ft with the single tube.

what size bulbs do you got my 150 bulb is like 10" long i want to try to make a dual cooltube as well and what size is your bake around too

The Hemp Goddess said:
This is a cool tube setup with remote ballast made from the 1 piece 150W yard type lights sold at the big box stores. This DIY will be in 2 parts. The first part will be the assembly of the cooltube. The second part will deal with the ballast. I did not use any part of the original light for the cooltube.

This is an awesome design. Did you ever post the ballast portion? I am unable to find it. Any help would be awesome

Thanks Goddess

OK...Soooo... Am i overdoing it with a 1000 watt HPS bulb?..I just cut a hole in the top of a wall locker and the bulb sticks thru!!..I'll glue Mylar( survival blanket) all around the top, going down about 5 feet(Thatll be my flowering area)...about a foot off the bottom Ill have 2 cool white bulbs for vegative stage...Are yall doing the right thing or am i?...seem like 150 watt is kinda small potatoes to me. let me know.

LOL--this was a dual 150W, so 300W total, but the space was small, like 4 sq ft. Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft., so whether you are overdoing it or whether it is small potatoes depends on the size of your space. I have a 1000W that I am running in a 3 x 6.5' space and a 600W that I am running in a 32 x 32" space. How big is your wall locker? How do you plan on cooling the light? Have you done test runs to check temps and humidity? How big are your 2 cool white bulbs?

Yikes!! So many questions!..My wall locker is 6 feet tall, 36 inches wide and about 18 inches front to back. havent run it long enuff to get it hot..its also pretty cold out there right now. My 2 cool whites are 24 inches long, screwed into the bottom of one of the shelves, 2 bulbs to the shelf. I thot I'd use a cupla computer fans to ventilate, with carbon foam stuff, like for an air conditioner to clean the smell some...one fan blowin in and one blowing out..The wall locker is not airtite by any means..Hmmm...I'll go get a pic!! Hang on!....ok!...here it is!...sorry its a crummy phone pic!..Im gonna line it with mylar survival blanket I figure!...whattaya think?

cabinet.jpg

Computer fans will not cool a 1000W, especially in that small a space. You are going to need something along these lines: hXXp://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-Air-inch-In-Line/dp/B002JQ14F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361677740&sr=8-1&keywords=6%22+fan
Duct booster fans will not work either. You are going to need a centrifuge type fan.

You are also going to need more space. The top section with the 1000W is not nearly tall enough. I do not believe that you are going to get separate vegging and flowering spaces in a locker that size.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Computer fans will not cool a 1000W, especially in that small a space. You are going to need something along these lines: hXXp://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-Air-inch-In-Line/dp/B002JQ14F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361677740&sr=8-1&keywords=6%22+fan
Duct booster fans will not work either. You are going to need a centrifuge type fan.

You are also going to need more space. The top section with the 1000W is not nearly tall enough. I do not believe that you are going to get separate vegging and flowering spaces in a locker that size.
Oh yeh,...The shelf is definitely not staying there..:)...It will be removed. Then, the shelf with the cool whites will go down near the bottom and the HPS wont be running at all..as the plants get about 2 feet, the cool whites will come out totally, the the HPS will be used..Does that make better sense?..also, somebody mentioned in here that the heat is generated mostly from the transformer, not the bulb...The transformer is not in the cabinet, only the socket came throught via a hole I drilled. true or not true?..I guess I reall do need to go out there, turn the biggy on, and see how hot it gets...I'll do that right now! Thanks!

Not true. Don't know who told you that most of the heat is generated by the ballast, but it is not correct. The bulb puts out huge amounts of heat. In fact, digital ballasts put out almost no heat themselves.

Ok,....Looks like perhaps Ive overdone it just a bit...so, in retrospect, think I should hit home depot and get smaller lights and have success?....I could go outdoors again but its getting hotter and hotter every summer..Last summer 4 plants of blueberry got pulled even before budding!! Had to! the grasshoppers were also coming!...And, in October, I become paranoid as hell everytime a copter or plane fly over!!..I'll be hiding under trees and building eves to not be seen, and watching for the wing dip showing me that theyre on to me! aaarrgghh! The pressure!!..But, I just cant stop! I guess part of me wont ever mature!..Matter of fact, I like the growing more than the smoking!...I work at a place where I might have to pee in the ol' jar...28 years down the drain!....But, like I said...My blood runs green!..its like my honeybees....I was made for this!:)

johnnybigfish said:
Yikes!! So many questions!..My wall locker is 6 feet tall, 36 inches wide and about 18 inches front to back. havent run it long enuff to get it hot..its also pretty cold out there right now. My 2 cool whites are 24 inches long, screwed into the bottom of one of the shelves, 2 bulbs to the shelf. I thot I'd use a cupla computer fans to ventilate, with carbon foam stuff, like for an air conditioner to clean the smell some...one fan blowin in and one blowing out..The wall locker is not airtite by any means..Hmmm...I'll go get a pic!! Hang on!....ok!...here it is!...sorry its a crummy phone pic!..Im gonna line it with mylar survival blanket I figure!...whattaya think?

I think you need to build yur on Closet/Growroom.:D Ya dont have an extra closet? My very 1st grow I tried a Fridge:rolleyes:. I ended up building my growroom in a closet.;)

Latest posts

Back