Water Is Everything

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greener pastures

Sticky Fingers
Reaction score
I recently joined this site and I try to read as many post as I can to get more informed and spread what knowledge I have on to others. Thanks bye the way MP this site is most informative with a lot of great minds. Put them all together and this is what you get lots of knowledge.
I notice ,correct me if I’m wrong , but there’s not a lot mentioned about water supply.
I have been setting up and designing live planted aquariums for over 20 years .Some have city water some have well. Most cases depending where you live well water obviously is a much better source . Since I’ve started growing I noticed that a lot relates to each other . Bactria life , ph , lighting , co2 levels ect . In cases of using city water for aquariums you must R/O the water then treat it to adjust ph and add beneficial bacteria back to the water before it enters your tank. If you don’t the chlorine alone kills beneficial bacteria on contact and the fish and marine plants some very expensive shows signs of stress very quickly .If you have a tank you know what I’m talking about .See where I’m going with this. Plants do the same thing you may be simply killing soil life and in return it screws with your ph then your plants start to stress .
On many posts people cant figure out what’s going on . Ph all over ,slow up take of nutes, yellow burnt leaves or lots of calcium build up in hydro systems just all around crappy . Then either pull the plant and rinse the roots off with some more chlorine and chemical filled water or run out and buy 10 different additives when the one thing we over look is WATER.
As I mentioned in other post . What you flush is what you drink. If your town or city has to reassure you that the water is safe to drink and you here that a lot , then you decide ? Is it safe for my girls . Recently a friend of mine who is far more proficient in growing than I am had all kinds of different problems. For months tried different approaches to try and find a remedy to what was going on . I then suggested to try some of my well water , problem solved instantly . Happy days again!! Unbelievable difference in clone veg & flower rooms.
IMO If you are having problems with your girls and have a friend with a well at least try it on a couple and you most likely will see a difference after a couple feedings or sooner. Also IMO if no other choice R/O is the way to go but replacement membranes , carbon blocks ect.. Can get expensive depending on your towns water conditions time of year and treatment regiments. There are so many different chems put in the water to “make it safe” for us to drink and don’t forget how many miles of hundred year old pipe it goes through before it reaches your home.
So if you are having problems check your water first before you buy products or pull the plant to rinse the root system . Please don’t do that its just silly. Let it dry out on its own the damage is already done don’t make it worse. Patience is a virtue in this game. That’s the first thing I learned . Hope this will help somebody out there . Just my thoughts on the matter . Thanks All GP :hubba:

aquarien ehhh?

i go through this in my mind sometimes, which element of growth is most important, and i can not pin point just one.

if the water is too hot, or too cold, it means death, if there is not enough air in the water, it means death, if there is not enough nutrient in the water, it means a slow death, if the water becomes stagnent it means death, if the water is flowing too fast it means death, if there isnt enough light to warm the water to grow the plant it means death, if there isnt enough dark to bloom the plant, it means all sorts of stuff.

im sure im forgetting semething

i cant explain myself further atm... lol

;)

I have a well but haven't used it yet. The PH is a perfect 6.5 (soil) but i feel like there is a lot of iron in it unless treated with a salt softener and adding a product called iron out once a month so the tubs, toilet bowels, etc stay nice and white.

I guess the question is, how much iron is to much and is there an easy way to test it as well what do you think of well water if possibly having a higher iron content? I am using RO water from walmart where we take the 5 gallon water jugs and refill them. it's 1.80 per 5 gallons. As far as i can tell the plants love the RO water but if the well water is better to use then i am obviously going to use it. I know iron is good but can it be to much?

Hey Jackson
In most cases depending where you live Well water is a great natural resource for minerals and there are cheap test kits for general hardness not sure how much iron the girls should receive. but what I’ve learned so far is that my plants seem to like some what hard water. They do show some cal deficiency.
Don’t know how much water your plants use but threes a cheap way to filter high calcium levels without chems .Just need a tank cheap canister filter and a water softening pillow from your local pet shop. Might be worth a shot to try you just never know could be worth it. My water seems to be liquid gold so far. Thanks GP

Geeeesh GP - I wish I could have some of that water. :hubba:

" Now that's what I call high quality H2O "!!!!!!!! :D

I say PH is everything..dont matter where ya get ya water from.

:48:

burnin123 said:
I say PH is everything..dont matter where ya get ya water from.

:48:

There's allot more in water than simply items that influence pH. Micro-nutes, high ppm, and chemical treatment by town and city water disrtricts have huge impacts when considering water. GP grows organic meds, having a healthy water supply serves as a solid foundation to build a nutrient program on.

In organics, beyond insuring the water is appropriate, pH is far from everything imo - I make a point of not checking it in fact. Our microbial life has more of an impact on uptake in certain situations - like growing organically.

thanks!........:D

it depends on your water source, for example if it has chlorine then it's bad to use instantly on soil since it will kill beneficial bacteria, high ppms also are a problem. in mu case i store my water in containers on my rooftop so the chlorine evaporates and ppm is not high close to any mineral water so never had a problem but i heard some people with crazy water supply of 400ppm! i wouldnt even shower in such water

i bet my tap water would be 800-1000, i mean we have this massive oversized tub, but i dont soak in there because it reeks of rust, and even will leave rust stains over night if the faucet is dripping - fadding out a foot or two from the drain...!

its pathetic, so i fill 8 gallons every 3-4 days...

panic in paradise said:
i bet my tap water would be 800-1000, i mean we have this massive oversized tub, but i dont soak in there because it reeks of rust, and even will leave rust stains over night if the faucet is dripping - fadding out a foot or two from the drain...!

its pathetic, so i fill 8 gallons every 3-4 days...

This is what i'm talking about as well. If it wasn't for the water softener and adding iron out once a month, all my stuff would look like what your describing so i'm Leary of it for sure to use. Anyone have any comments about this or no?

i do not dare use it...!

i saw your ph is like 6.5?!? no no not here, that stuff turns out a..... deeep royal blue. 11.3? lol

i go to wallyworld too, while drinking their water it seems much softer and more round+pure, only slightly compared to the close refill station. which im sure is fine. dasani, and another storebrand water has potash, and dolamite in it. to bad they dont sell it by the 10 gallon jug.

nestle water, id bet, is very very low in the ppm's, that stuff feels so nice on the mouth, it feels very aireated, light and round or somehing.

i need to invest in an actual 3way reverse osmosis filter... i mean, this is for life and all.

Thanks AllI only made this suggestion to possibly help a few people that have had problems with there grow in the past , and just might have over looked the obvious .
Not all town water is bad , not all well water is good Just has been our experience from growing on one side of the country to the other . Both wells that we used were a solid source .The city supplied water on the other hand in both places was just horrible. Very low yields and just couldn’t get a handle on things." Again just our experience" . Just trying to help the cause. Thanks GP

Latest posts

Back