Home of the Old Fart's Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning OFC. Here in Cali, many large warehouse growers are stepping up to LED. The biggest argument I have heard about LEDs is that commercial growers aren't using them. If they were any good commercial growers would be using them. Well they are. It looks like veg is the most common and flowering with DE HPS. Recently saw a video of a new warehouse set up and they were installing 500 LEDs and 100 DE. This is a serious investment.

I sure hope my new license come soon so it will switches me from 49 to 98 so I can crack some more I have 35 new beans sitting there waiting to be cracked :48:

I be waiting for my license too !-- Bud --D.D. be in tommorrow if nothing goes wrong U gonna have strawberry seed coming your way Monday or Tuesday !-- There is just too much alphabet and names in it's genealogy so I just been calling it the Strawberry !-- Up to U to name it or something dude !-- I get with U to double check the 411 before I ship them ! -- U only got 35 seed ? -- No I think U got more than that !

Bud I'm still finding the occasional seed from your boy's visit !-- Not as many as there could have been !-- Not nearly the unintended seed I had last time pollen was around but I didn't tear bud apart looking for seed except for the little Strawberry mom I meant to have seed !-- I'm send U some his bastid chillin !
I'm sure I'll find a few here and there as I get into the weed !-- Some the Strawberry and some the seed from crossing him on Umbra's B.B. King !-- Got a couple off the White Indica out the house of Umbra got my interest up !-- No telling what else gonna show up but at least it's not "seedy" just the occasional seed surprise !

Yo Bud --Giggy --Anyone ya'll that still work some steel -- U know I used to do R&D as a young man ? -- Anyway -- The first step in R&D is identifying a problem or potential problem and build something that addresses that issue !-- I see a growing problem gonna need to be solved and I'm high enough to not care !
UPS and all the shipping companies having a online boom !-- Everything comes in boxes !-- I got a stack in my garage that I can't get into the recycling bin fast enough so they building up !-- I need a new household appliance !-- One that shreds these boxes --sprays a binder such as paraffin or even the stuff they use on particle board and the like !-- A machine that shreds paper - cardboord and even yard waste --compacts it into fireplace logs or something else useful! -- I was building aluminum extrusion dies when I was 17 years old on a Bridgeport milling machine !-- I know it can be done ! -- Use molten waste plastic as a binder and make more permanent items like telephone poles or whatever !--

Some things I have learned the hard way some I read & some I grew up with but here's what i know. Dirt is easiest, even a doofus can grow something in dirt. Aero like Keef does is probably the fastest, and pretty forgiving for having pumps and such. 5 gal buckets DWC is the easiest water farming and flood and drain the most productive.

There is no substitute for lights when it comes to growing. My hps produce massive yields but lotsa heat. The leds are better at quality bud but don't produce as much quantity and are color specific. A flowering spectrum light and a vegging spectrum light are better (and more powerful) then one that does both.

Lastly, If you want quality bud, keep your flowering room below 80 degrees at the point under the lights. I can tell you this was the thig I addressed last and the thing that made the biggest difference in quality. I hope this helps you out. Just ask if you need anything else.:farm:
Thank You Nick for all the neat information. I fine it very useful. Got to write it down. :48:

Good morning everyone, I hope you all have an awesome day. I am fishing and canoeing today.

Kraven, You are right of course but $1500 per fixture? Gimme a break. Us poor old retirees can't afford lights like that. I have never stopped to calculate grams per watt but I don't grow to sell just for personal use and self gratification. I average about 4 -6 oz of bud per indica plant and anywhere from 4 - 12 oz per sativa plant, depending on the plant and of course how long I veg first...

I never figured out how to measure grams per watt because so many things figure into the final outcome, primarily time in veg. If you veg under 400 watts for 4 weeks you don't get nearly the yield as you would if you veg for 6 weeks under the same watts. Therefore how do you honestly measure grams per watt? A better measure would be pennies of power per gram but nobody does that.:vap-Bong_smoker:

I wasn't aiming to be right and tried to make a point of the fact that 1500 a fixture is nowhere near the price point for the smaller growers. I do not grow for profit or to sell, I provide meds for more than just myself, it's a veteran thing here locally.

As far as grams per watt, it is a very useful tool to measure usable weight in a grow. I know if you use a 1K HPS lamp your pulling 1K while I have a light thats rated ~1100w in comparison that only pulls 500w. It just costs me a little more than 50% less to run my light, therefore I am saving money and being more economical. Very much pennies of power per gram :)

That was what I was trying to say man, i sure hope I didn't kinkle anyone up. If given enough time the LED's like I run now will be dirt cheap because the new better models will have long replaced them. :)

Hope U don't think I was dis-ing your lights Kraven !-- Wish I had them and with time I may !-- U keep doing what U do !-- I ain't nothing but envious !-- U break the new tech trail and I'll follow along eventually !-- No doubt what U doing is where we headed !-- I got lots to learn before I step up to that level !-- The way I see it-- U a college grad grower and I'm still in high school !

No not at all keef, I just sometimes dont get things out right, and it causes needless confusion

No Kraven !-- Confusion is my gig !-- It's what I do ! --

Nightshade !-- Wouldn't have it if I didn't listen Kraven !-- She gonna be wit me long time !-- Giggy send me some that pollen from that 88g13 hp or what ever that male U looking for U think my princess here would be an acceptable mom for your Nightshade project ?

View attachment 20170610_151350-1.jpg

She sure looks happy man, I'd hit her with it then f2 the beans and look for expression in the males and females and move forward from there. I got some NS on the way here now and i'm about to get started myself so feel free to give it a go, you may find something different in there and go a whole different way making a name for yourself too :)

Kraven I haven't even had it in a pipe !-- U got it covered no problem !-- I run her a few cycle and see if any plan develops but Mane I'm all about the one plant !-- Not really interested in trying to out breed others with a much better foundation !-- She will be a part of my tetra project! -- Who knows she may be the first to genetically double in the right way for me ? -- I'll be using Waldo my BBSL male so who knows ?- I will after all be trying to force an unnatural accident !-Maybe she be the Momma of my Green Grail ? -- Not to be confused with others idea of a green grail !-- I don't give a flip about a variety just single plants ! --Until then I grow and learn !--

I think it's good breeding stock if you find the right pheno and if you didn't hit it with the dust from giggy it would be a shame. This project will take me many years and it's a good foundation imho if you like what both bring to the table.

Kraven ole buddy I spend my days sometimes looking in on your bunker. I appreciate everything you say and agree on most. I'd love to have a setup like yours. I follow the growmouse dude on youtube who is always developing new leds and playing with spectrum and whatnot..... always trying to improve. He recently build a couple of lights which kinda mimic the ones you run. I have just been dabbling a little in the technology but I learned a ton my last grow and applied what I know this time. Now my leds are doing pretty well, very well actually.

Nick I quit going to Kraven's Bunker !-- It just makes me jealous !-- No !-- I still have to ghost on him sometimes !-- I really do need to start studying up on light spectrums and building light boards -- Maybe trying some of those cobb LEDs ? -- Got to always be thinking about improvements !-- What I got now is temporary but it will give me insight into what I want to do up at the Ranch !-- I get some more room I try some of this flood and drain ya'll talk about !-- Try some different lights ? --

Umbra this BOC and KL both got the same unusual shape to it's stem -- Could I have somehow got the seed mixed up ? -- Best I can describe the stem shape is like a like 4 round tubes fused together !-- A daddy or one the moms have a anomaly like that ?

I'm not sure about the stem. I have seen it before. Neither the KL or BoC have genetics in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back