How high is too high to drive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A Colorado Springs area state lawmaker is proposing a new law the would quantify how much marijuana is too much to drive.

House Bill 1261 would allow a person who drives with a tetrahydrocannabinols (THC) blood content of 5 nanograms or more to be charged with driving under the influence.

In our balanced coverage, we found that not everyone likes the bill.

Medical marijuana advocates say the bill's sponsors, Republican Representative Mark Waller and Democrat Claire Levy, are inventing a crisis of high drivers.

Rep. Waller says, "I think this is an important bill it's an important public safety issue for the state of Colorado, as marijuana use goes up the number of people using marijuana and driving automobiles goes up as well and we certainly need to protect our streets."

Mary McNeely, a Springs area medical marijuana advocate says, "people should not be driving impaired whether it's on medical cannabis, alcohol or Percacet, my concern is that the 5 nanograms seems like an arbitrary number."

Rep. Waller says the five nanograms was recommended by Denver area doctors and lawyers.

And, he says, one in five car accidents in Colorado has a marijuana impaired driver at fault.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/5vnvfcf

I think this is b.s. I know that your ability to drive while high is different for everyone. If your new to smoking I can see where it would impair your ability to drive, however for pros like myself, it does not. While on long distance drives when I start to feel like I'm falling asleep a couple hits will perk me back up for an hour or so. I cant remember the last time I drove without being high, and haven't been in an accident since 1985, this happened before I started smoking on a regular basis.

its a losing battle, we should just accept that there will be penalties for driving while using MJ, you cant preach its medicinal benefits and the say it doesnt affect me.

Guess any number is a decent number if your so bad at driving that you get pulled over or in an accident.
Just like with alcohol. No difference.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Guess any number is a decent number if your so bad at driving that you get pulled over or in an accident.
Just like with alcohol. No difference.

Its not just like alcohol, alcohol greatly impairs your reaction times and your ability to make good decisions. If you get someone drunk and someone else high I guarantee the high person will do much better in physical tests.

Most who smoke and drive,,drive so slow,,, who cares.:48:

nova564t said:
Its not just like alcohol, alcohol greatly impairs your reaction times and your ability to make good decisions. If you get someone drunk and someone else high I guarantee the high person will do much better in physical tests.

Is just like alcohol. And a persons ability to control under the influence of any product.
I cant drive a lick having some Benedryl. But have driven 40 years with alcohol and no issue.
Its why they have warnings about machinery on medicine. Some cant operate, but the majority operate just fine.
Under the influence is under the influence.

If you have been driving "40 years with alcohol" you have been lucky.
I would not ride with you if you had been drinking. I would drive with Nova after he smoked. Are you a he Nova?

I feel comfortable driving under the influence of pot if I am not too stoned. I will not drive if I am loaded. Never had an accident yet, knocking on wood now.
my 2 cents.

You want to know whats really going on with this?! Revenue.

The average DUI in the state of Colorado costs the person (for a first offense) $10,000. Thats court fees, mandatory classes, fines, reinstatement fees, blow&go rental fees, insurance requirements etc. etc.

In the past 5 years the state has given out 30% more DUI's than EVER BEFORE. This is not due to an increase in drunk drivers. This has to do with police officers "stalking" bars and restraunts to generate revenue for their departments. They don't make as much on speeding tickets.

So needless to say I think this is a bunch of C-R-A-P-O-L-A!

This state needs to quick trying to make a buck "coming and going" on the whole mmj scene.

YOU CAN HAVE THE FRONT RANGE AND ALL THE POLITICIANS. COME OUT WEST AND YOU CAN PRY MY GUN AND MY LEGAL MEDICATION FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS. Grr....

if there stalking bars and nailing people above the limit, then good for them. JMO

All mind altering medications say "use care when operating a car or dangerous machinery" but you can be busted if you show imparement while driving without a blood or urine test. That's all that is needed, imo.

Rosebud said:
I would not ride with you if you had been drinking. I would drive with Nova after he smoked. Are you a he Nova?

I feel comfortable driving under the influence of pot if I am not too stoned. I will not drive if I am loaded. Never had an accident yet, knocking on wood now.
my 2 cents.

Yes, I'm a he!!LOL

Nova probably never leaves the driveway,,just thinks he does.:D

Duh.............I.........ahhhh..........forgot what I was gonna say?:confused: :confused2: :stoned::hubba:

Rosebud said:

my 2 cents.

Its not lucky. Im not an addict or abuser of anything.
For example. I see nothing wrong in playing a round of golf, then relaxin in the clubhouse with a beer or 2 before driving home.
Not like Im pounding a fifth of Beam while flying down the highway.

I guess I'm lucky. I live close enough so that when I'm high on either booze or weed, it's less than $10 for a taxi to anywhere I would want to go.

If I get high at the house and want to hit a bar or go downtown, I pay for the taxi. I figure $20 round trip is WAY better than $10,000 for them to catch me trying to get away with it in my own car.

Plus, I don't have to worry about how much I've had. I just party until I feel like going home again and get another taxi.

I only do it about once or twice a month, so it's not like it hurts my wallet.

I've lived in some cities tho' where the cab ride would be a stupid cost like $30 each way. I'd just stay home then or get a friend who isn't toasted to give me a ride one way or the other.

My way makes me sleep better at night. No way could I afford a DUI.

There's a difference between medicating and getting sloshed befor getting in the car to drive.

What is 5 Nanograms anyway as how many joints.?? **** I a Chronic Smoker all day and I drive just fine.. never had a problem.. knock on wood

Flyinghigh said:
What is 5 Nanograms anyway?

If Nana has 10 grams and she gives you 5, she has 5 Nanagrams left for her to fire up! :D :smoke1:

Latest posts

Back