First Grow-Hydroponics-Closet Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmyjg6

Pimp Co.
Reaction score
Hi this is my first grow and could use some advice, so don't hold anything back. The grow takes place in my apartment's walk in closet (Pic's and dimension's bellow). I have partitioned the closet into 2 rooms (Veg and Flower). First of i thought i would go ahead and name hopefully a her, so i decided on Nancy, Why Nancy? Because i just saw a funny *** Counter Strike video, http://youtube.com/watch?v=yZcfRrqUZI8 . Anyways i germinated Nancy and placed her into 1" rock-wool 4 days ago. And she sprouted Yeah! Here is a list of my tools!! I have a 250W HPS for flower, and 4 26W-CFL's for veg, i have 2 hydroponic drip systems (one for each room), each with 2, 8.5" net pots, and for Nutrients i am using the Recipe for Success Starter Kit from BC, it consists of B.C Bloom, B.C Boost, B.C Grow, Sugar Daddy and Root 66, Thrive Alive B-1 Red, Thrive Alive B-1 Green, and Awesome Blossoms. With both rooms running the temp gets around 85. But i plan on installing some fans soon. And right now i have Nancy in a dome under the 250W HPS running at 23-1 just to keep her at a constant warm temp, and the 1hr of sleep is just because i want her to have at least 1hr of sweep, LOL... I am watering Nancy with a spray bottle (PH 5.8) mixed with Thrive Alive, and spraying the dome to keep Humidity just right.

Top View.jpg

ISo view.jpg

Hydroponic.jpg

SANY0036-1.JPG

SANY0023.JPG

SANY0030-1.JPG

SANY0024-1.JPG

SANY0034-1.JPG

SANY0007-1.JPG

SANY0041-1.JPG

Hay i am wanting to purchase a light to replace the CFL's in my veg room. I am planning on vegging 2 plants at a time and was wondering if you guys could tell me what size and type of light would be good? O ya i am running hydro set up, not sure if it matters... Thanks!

first off, for your seedlings and mothers (plants in Veg stage) you should NOT use an HPS, For VEGGIN stage, you want to use flouros.. half of em "cool white" and the other half "warm white". why you ask ? cuz they are cheap and work just great..and no heat problems in that one (veg room)..

what width is your veg room?? if at least 50" then you would be able to fit in a shop light from menards or walmart for $10,

edit >>> nevermind i see your closets are only 3 ft wide.. and the shop lights are 4 ft (48") so that wont work ..

i got 2 shop lights each have 2 bulbs.... in each one i have one warm white and one cool white, so at the moment i got 2 of each alternating position... so its like...... A-B-A-B..

soon ill double em and have 4 shop lights with a total of 4 ww and 4 cw...

if those shop lights wont fit the normal way (from left to right) then you can get a bunch of those cfl's (those twisted looking flouro bulbs) as long as you meet the required lumens per sq ft... you should be fine

Just member use hps for flowering only.... ask ne more questions if u like

these might be worth taking a look at------------- hxxp://www.1000bulbs.com/40-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/

two of those are equal to 300 watts of good cheap lighting..

in the website replace the "xx" with "tt"

Well i have 4 26Watt CFL's, Do you think that will do for veg right now until i can order some moor? And when i am looking at CFL's all i see is warm white, do the cool white have another name?

Hi i am wanting to do almost a daily update. Last night i went ahead and transplanted Nancy from the 1" rock-wool into the 4" rock-wool cubes,and moved it out of propagation trey to the hydro set up. First i soaked the 4" rock-wool in PH adjusted water and a little Sugar-Daddy and ROOT 66. I also went ahead and mixed the nutrients for the hydroponic system. I mixed in a half strength solution of B.C Boost, B.C Grow, Thrive Alive B-1 Red, Magi-Cal, and Sugar-Daddy into 3 gallons of distilled water. to go 3 times a day for 15min each during the light cycle. I also left the dome on. Am i doing everything correctly? This is my first grow to ever participate in, the only knowledge i know is that from surfing this site Thanks all...

SANY0049.JPG

SANY0044.JPG

SANY0048.JPG

SANY0051.JPG

I just now took Nancy out from under-neath the 250Watt HPS and placed under 4 26Watt CFL's. Is this enough for a 3'x2' grow area? I also removed the humidity dome and placed a small fan on Nancy.

SANY0069.JPG

SANY0070.JPG

SANY0071.JPG

hey timmy,

couple questions..

1. How much does your cfls equal to.. like on that site i gave u theres both kinds..and they say what they are equal to. but if all u can get is cool white that is cool.. i read somewhere that seedlings and mothers or ( veg stage) you want a blue spectrum of light and for flowering you need the red spectrum

flouros-
Cool white = blue spectrum
warm white = red spectrum

HID -
the hps = also red spectrum (but more intense) - Flowering.
The MH = Also blue spectrum ( but more intense) this can be used for veg but is more expensive that is why i like to use flouros ( cheaper)

2. How many lumens do those bulbs say.. check this.. hxxp://www.1000bulbs.com/26-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/

the first one is warm white, the second is cool white.. both are equal to 100 watts thats a total of 200 watts of cfls that actually only uses 52 watts.. ( 2 x 26watt bulb = 52 watts that are equal to 2oo watts..

the lumens on these bulbs varies from 2700K-6400K

and you might have wanted to wait on mixing your solution up cuz ur nancys might be to small to start feeding em nutes..

and u want to transplant into the 4 inch cube right when u see the roots coming out of the first cube, ( the 1 inch cube) once u see roots comin out it then u go ahead and put it into the 4 incher..

my veg room has both flouros.. ww and cw

which is cool.. works great.. and you said ur using ur fan, thats ok but be careful

u want it on low as possible.. when its lil.. cuz u will damage it. and the more wind the more strong and stemmy it will be.( thats not to good BTW) only to establish a good plant, but u dont want to over do it, cuz ull end up with alot of stem..

so start out a lil at a time.. and gradually go up in wind.. theres so many things to tell u that its more or less "trail and error"

at first ull want it blowing in ur grow room but NOT directly at it.. just nuff so it looks like the plant has a breeze, and after couple weeks maybe even a month... all depends on how well ur plant does.. sometimes they grow fast as heck and sumtimes they dont.. cont' after a month u can put it on rotate and actually let it blow on ur mama..

Yeah your Lumenosity like stated above is the major factor. I'd say as long as your using a hps bulb that has an added 20% or 30% blue spectrum to go with it, if the space is right. I've had a 250 watt hps with blue spectrum and had a fantastic grow in a 2ftx3ftx2ft area built in my closet with shiny white material(reflects like Mylar) but I've never grown hydro either.:confused2:

Richy-B said:
I'd say as long as your using a hps bulb that has an added 20% or 30% blue spectrum to go with it. I've had a 250 watt hps with blue spectrum and had a fantastic grow in a 2ftx3ftx2ft area built in my closet with shiny white material(reflects like Mylar) but I've never grown hydro either.:confused2:

for what stage did you use that 250 hps?? i know it works to grow plants but isnt necessarily the best way..

flouros are cheap.. they work for vegging.... they dont give off too much heat..

why use a hps for veggin when you can save money on using cfls or flouros

Hes got both an hps and cfls, and he has 2 rooms, one for flowering and one for vegging..

so the most ideal thing to do is use the cfls and or flouros for vegging.

and the hps for flowering

1. I think my cfl's are the exact ones that you just linked me too. They are all 4, 26Watt=200Watt. Cool white cfl's.

And im not too shure of the lumens, i will check the bulb when i get home.

3. And the fan is a real small fan, when its blowing right on Nancy she dosent eeven moov. Should i remove the fan for now?

4. And with the neutrients, i was clue-liss on when i should start thim.. Should i turn the pump off and just water them by hand? Or is it too late?

Totally agree with you. Didn't know he was using to different rooms. Forgot to tell you I grew small LR's in that small space anyway. Sorry. Just letting you know what a 250 wat hps did for me in a small closet.

fan can be moved so its blowing at the wall right behind the nancy..

as long as the fan isnt directly on it just yet..

and for nutes... have u been feeding the plant with ur solution already??

cuz to early and u can burn em.. to late and u can starve them..

how long have u fed them for already??

So u have 404watts worth of cool white cfls?? 4x 26watt bulbs = 404 watts thats decent for what ur doing.. so u dont need ne more..

I Just hooked up the hydroponic system last night so they probley have bin fead 3 times for 15min each... They are only about a week old.

Timmyjg6 said:
I Just hooked up the hydroponic system last night so they probley have bin fead 3 times for 15min each... They are only about a week old.

whats ur feeding schedule? once a day for 15 mins??

for ur lil seedlings, u want clean water.. that is ph'd to 5.5 - 5.9... sumthing like bouts there.. and bout after 2-4 weeks (depending how well it does in that time) you could go 1/4 strenght and u should notice a change, and as it gets bigger u need to up the nutes, maybe 1/2 strenght now, and then take notice.. is it getting better or worst.. if looks like a nute burn then u need to lower.. and if it looks like its starving up the nutes..

like i said it trial and error..

btw when i did my hydro, I waterd 3 times a day maybe more, turnd my pumps on for 15 mins 3 times a day.. some ppl do it every other hour for 15 mins all day.. u can just imagine those monsters..

hey there timmy : goodluck with your grow ! im using cfls for vegging on my first grow and hps for flowering ,,but im in soil ....:tokie:

What dose nutrients burn look like. And i have the pump set to 3 times a day for 15min each.

your leaves may start to have brown crispy patches starting at the edges

OK so i ordered 5 feminised strawberry cough seeds, i was kinda skeptical but i went ahead and dished the money out for them. and they came but will they grow? I will know in time..

IMGP0228.JPG

Latest posts

Back