How to calibrate a Digital Ph meter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

accid

I bought a Hanna Checker: PH Meter . I also bought a 7.01 ph calibration buffer. I dipped the meter in the ph buffer solution and it read 7.01.

I would think it is calibrated but when i use my liquid ph meter it says the water is at 6.0!

Do i need a 4.00 calibration buffer? On the actual meter there is a 7.0 with an adjusted screw as well as a 4/10 with an adjustable screw. Do i need both calibration solutions to set this thing up properly?

How do i calibrate it?

accid...I use both 4.0 and 7.0 buffers...on my meter...one is probably good enough but to be more exact two is better. be sure to put probe in both buffers a couple of three times ato make sure it calibrated...I re calib rate once a week to be on the safe side......hanna is a good meter so after putting in the 7.01 buffer a couple of times and adjusting the adjustment screw if need yu shold be good to go....i would trust the hanna meter.

accid said:
I bought a Hanna Checker: PH Meter . I also bought a 7.01 ph calibration buffer. I dipped the meter in the ph buffer solution and it read 7.01.

I would think it is calibrated but when i use my liquid ph meter it says the water is at 6.0!

Do i need a 4.00 calibration buffer? On the actual meter there is a 7.0 with an adjusted screw as well as a 4/10 with an adjustable screw. Do i need both calibration solutions to set this thing up properly?

How do i calibrate it?

Hello,

Yeah, if your ph meter has a dual calibration point adjustment you'll need to get the 4.0 reference solution as well for it to be properly calibrated. You can probably get by with 7.0 but if you can afford it I'd pick up some 4.0 to have it around for periodic calibration. f.y.i... You can usually find just about ANY owner's manual online and the Hanna Checker is no exception! ;) I posted a pic down below to calibration procedure for the Hanna Checker. You should be able to enlarge it and still keep it legible but if you'd like the manual from the website, go to this page, choose the right model and after you find what you need select "downloads" and choose the manual and it downloads as a PDF file:

You probably know the drill... replace the XX with tt...

hXXp://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?ProdCode=HI%2098103&id=002003

Happy Calibrating!:cool:

HannCheckerCal.jpg

Thanks a ton for that photo posting.

When i dip my hanna checker into the 7.01 solution it reads 7.01. So thats good, but here is where the problem arises. I have been using liquid drops ph test kit to test the PH levels of my water. When i pour PH CALIBRATION 7.01 solution into a test tube and put 3 drops of PH TEST Liquid (to check the ph of the solution) and it read 6.0 on my color matching kit!!! Which one is right?! the ph test kit liquid or the ph meter used in combination with ph calibration ?

I hope a few of you can get back to me and let me know. Im pretty damn confused

I have been my adjusting my water with the ph liquid kit to 6.5 this whole time and the plants have been fine. So ultimately is the solution really 7.0 or is my test kit completely off by 1.0 ph which would be mind boggling.
thanks

Geeeez, huh? What to think? If you bought it at a local hydro store I'd suggest going in there with it to cross check it against some other ph testers in the store. The ph test kits usually are more of a tool to get things in range rather than exacting but it makes you wonder... I'd put my trust in a meter that reads correct in a known ref fluid before I'd trust the test kit. Especially a Hanna as they make pretty solid products ime... I have used Hanna 9813 ph/tds meters for years and they have been great to me. I've killed a couple of them but they were well worn when it happened and I rarely have had to buy new electrodes.

As to why your plants have been doing well despite possible incorrect advice from your test kit I think is more evidence of mj in soil's tolerance to ph fluctuations. It really does pretty well over a fairly wide range compared to many plants.

Any-hoo. Let us know if you learn anything more...

Good Luck!:cool:

Hello Accid :)

Trust the digital meter.

If your growing in soil you only need the 7.01 buffer, if you plan on growing hydro at any time, you will also need the 4 buffer.

:peace:

I would trust it. I got the Hanna combo meter and I questioned it at first. Then I got a 7.01 solution and 1500 ppm.....and I slept better at night. Then I realized that I needed 4.01 and another tds solution to really be sure and got those as well. You might want to get both 7.01 and 4.01 solution. They are like $7-8 at my local store

dirtyolsouth said:
Hello,

Yeah, if your ph meter has a dual calibration point adjustment you'll need to get the 4.0 reference solution as well for it to be properly calibrated. You can probably get by with 7.0 but if you can afford it I'd pick up some 4.0 to have it around for periodic calibration. f.y.i... You can usually find just about ANY owner's manual online and the Hanna Checker is no exception! ;) I posted a pic down below to calibration procedure for the Hanna Checker. You should be able to enlarge it and still keep it legible but if you'd like the manual from the website, go to this page, choose the right model and after you find what you need select "downloads" and choose the manual and it downloads as a PDF file:

You probably know the drill... replace the XX with tt...

hXXp://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?ProdCode=HI%2098103&id=002003

Happy Calibrating!:cool:

I have mine saved on my phone for easy access :D

accid said:

How do i calibrate it?

I just bought the same exact model today....calibrated it then balanced a gallon of water to 6.0...dipped my old electode style ph tester in it and it read 7.0...needless to say i am taking my old one back to the store...im trusting the Hanna checker...

Latest posts

Back