Old Fogeys first ever legal grow journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because 789(seven ate nine)... ;)

Sorry. Terrible joke. I work the graveyard shift and in the middle of the night I get a bit loopy...

Thanks for the positive posts, Dan. And tomorrow I will be a ripe old 52. But I only feel 70...

i work out of state so every week i don't get to watch my plants for half the week. in veg, it isn't as big of a deal because the lights are on when i get home wednesday mornings and i poke and primp and coddle the plants. well i set my light to come on at 6 pm so i could use the heat of the light during the cold night so now i will have to wait until 6 pm tomorrow to check on the stretch/progress. thinking i need to get a green filter for a flashlight so i can take a peek earlier. the suspense is killing me...

Thanks. It has been a crappy birthday. Too much to do at work and now I think I'm coming down with something...

OF I wanted to finish showing you what happens after the 2nd clean up. This is ideally how you want them to look going into bud set. See how the plant looks healthy and open but not bushy? This will get you rock solid nugs all the way down to the lowest point the plant is producing. I hope this helps with our discussion on pruning up for the flip. Let me know if i can help further. Good luck and green mojo. Peace.

Edit...plant is now 36 inches tall and through stretch. Now it's just stacking bud.

yikes! kraven. it will take me a bit of time to work up to stripping my plants down that far. i see from your results that it works. it just will scare the heck out of me. maybe i can try a plant or three this grow. btw - great sign...

felt like doo doo last night so i bailed out of work early and go home in time to water, feed and most importantly, see my plants this morning. though it does not look it from the pics, these are pretty bare below the canopy. they are stretching more than i have had plants stretch before. they were thirsty. guess 4 days away is on the edge of too long between waterings...

View attachment IMG_2811[1].jpg

View attachment IMG_2810[1].jpg

so are those under the King light u got ? and how far away is the light from the plants ?

OF I felt the same way. You will find your sweet spot. The important thing is now you understand the concept and why it is effective. Some plants don't do well if you treat them harsh....others like it. I have the advantage of growing the same pheno over and over so I just know by feel. Not all pants will look like that, it just happens this one cleaned up nicely and was a good one to show you. This is basically the overall "look" your aiming for. I over did it once and then not enough for a few turns after that, but when you get the feel for it...like watering, things just go right and you get 1/3 more weight with no scraps. It's cleaner and easier to trim and it all dries more uniformly since all the buds are mostly the same size. Your doing excellent. Keep up the good work. Your grows are always a pleasure to visit. Good luck and green mojo.

Yep N.E. guy. they are under the king light. they are probably 26 inches away. they got away from me a little while i was out of town so i think i need to raise the light. i was just a little tired this morning and didn't think about the distance to the light but some of the tops were looking a little off probably because the light is too low.

yikes! thanks for asking about that n.e.wguy. the light was about 24" away. raised it up to about 29". i figure i can raise the light up another 6 inches without much work. minor complaint about the light. the hangers/cables it comes with are kinda long. it may be that they are that long to ensure good airflow though...

Kraven- I think I need to thin things out more. Right now I have a canopy about 6 inches thick but impenetrable to light. Probably less air flow than I should have because of the density. I am chicken to remove the big fans. It is more of a sea of green at this point. Once I see what I get for females from the Satori plants I will choose some plants to strip down and I will leave some 'normalish' for me. I don't get much waste. Everything I trim I use for cannabutter which is my preferred method of partaking in cannabis. However, ease of trimming, uniformity of drying and purdy buds sound good to me too.

Sounds good OF...try to think of it as art, your just trying to open it up a bit for flower and getting rid of the lowers that wont get light. Some plants are just naturally bushy, some are not. Do what your comfortable with OF, taking a fan or two thats covering lower buds or the interior of the plant can be done....in the wild, bugs would do more damage and the plant has grown to expect it over the long history of cannabis evolution ;)

Just like if you leave a plant too long past ripe it will self, it is a recessive gene that enables it to self propagate. Lots to this little weed.

Great work so far. Glad to see the King LED working out for you. It has been a solid light for me as well. It will take a bit to get used to stripping the plants down before the flip. I still can't strip them down enough. Ultimately you will get it to where it works for your growing style. Green MOJO.

Very well said Hammy, really hard to compare apples to oranges. You will find your own sweet spot in time OF. Lots of good advice here, and plenty of ways to get to where you want. My approach is but one of many, and I see dank all over this site.

Latest posts

Back