First outdoor grow, yikes.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do know 1 person I can ask here about outdoor growing, her ex did it for years, maybe she can shed some light (no pun intended ) on outdoor growing here in Maine.

Hemp Goddess spelled out how I feel about autos, when i get free auto seeds I give them away.

i'd suggest to look around online/more forums, i'm sure there's someone from your area who can share their OD experience.. i just think it'd be safer finding out through strangers online who don't know where you live, over someone's ex ;)

as for growing OD in a short season;, look into light deprivation techniques.. i get 2 harvests every outdoor season and grow plants that run much longer than my season would, with light deprivation.
my technique is very ghetto and a PITA; just moving them to a dark shed.. but if you're basically making a cage for them already, i think you could easily DIY a good covering system to shorten the days manually (might be late to start, but i'd look to some timer + winch deal, as that's what i've always wanted to do, cause it does suck to have to move em around daily)

i'm not saying do 2 crops, but you could kick them to bloom a few weeks earlier this way, if need be ;)
airflow is going to be important when doing this though ;)

Wow, great idea, i do have a 10x12 shed only 30 feet from where I am gonna grow from, the move each night wouldn't be bad for only 6 plants, thanks :)

Hey there Sherrwood. I am also in Central Maine, and legal to grow. I most definitely had some issues with late flowering last year, as you can tell by the date of these posts:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66529

I only grew MOB(Mother of Berry) outside last year. My plants never were damaged since we had a mild autumn and a relatively dry summer, but whose to say that will happen again. Almost November by the time I finished harvesting! I have six plants to play with this year. An Ace Silver Haze from seed which I cloned twice and a Strawberry/LSD cross clone which I also cloned twice. I also have a small clone from my last indoor grow, a Black Domina/Afgan Kush cross that I am attempting to monster crop. More of an experiment really...I will be going outside after next week as it looks to be raining all week, and most clones have reached 12". I'm still new to the game, but the late flower issue I had last year is certainly not stopping me from going outside again.

What are you using for soil? Nutes? Pots?
Are you planting into the ground?
I want to put out the Nebula from paradise seeds., what do you use for a gate?

I use "Dirt Pots" bought at my local Agway. They are a fabric pot ranging from 3 - 15 gal. I use both 7 and 10 gal. They have zero weight, allow for excellent draining and tend to stay at whatever the temp and climate outside is. Meaning they will get soaked when it rains, but they dry out with the surroundings as well, unlike a 5 gal bucket. I don't go into the ground because I tend my plants often and can move them with the sun, out of puddles, off the ground and even hide them from surprise guests if need be. I'm using Black Gold Organic soil with plenty of perlite, and Fox Farm nutes, but rather sparingly. I get sun all day long, like literally from sunrise to sunset, and with some early training they don't need a whole lot. If you haven't started seeds yet you are way behind though. Like I said I have plants a foot tall already. Honestly mold will be your biggest issue due to our shitty humidity. The gate and fence needs to be 6 feet tall, with a lock, so whatever meets those criteria is really all you need. Honestly unless you are caregiving I don't think you need to worry about house visits.

Thank you very much for the info.
I was going to use 30 gallon contractor trash bags, too much?
I see you only use 10 gallon, is that enough?
I also use Fox Farms nutes and Pro mix BX, below is a pic I just took of my veg. Plants, the biggest 6 will go outside.
I also have constant sun all day and visitors aren't a big issue, I was thinking of buying a chain link dog run with a gate door n lock.
I have a 10x12 shed to transfer them in to finish if the season is too long and stretches til November.
Do you have any issues with bugs? Mites? Slugs?
Again, thanks.

View attachment image.jpg

I like the Dirt Pots over bags due to the draining factor and the fact that they dry out all the way to the center of the soil, quickly. Roots love it. Strangely I had no issue with being root bound, nor has any of my friends who use them. You can get a 4-6 foot tall plant from the 10 gal, most of my friends use 15 gal but honestly I haven't seen a huge difference between the two. I don't need huge plants as I produce buds only for myself. About a quarter pound off 2 plants last year, so if all goes well I'll have a pound+ this year, not including my indoor grows which are always going, just one or two plants at a time. This year I have more plants going outside than last year and I am using both sizes so I can answer those questions better in the Fall...lol. They are wider than the contractor bags as well, so roots can grow outwards as well as down.

I have slugs. I use cans of beer as a trap. They climb right in and die! I had some spider mites last year, late, but they never became an issue. Just watch for mold in the late summer!

Ok, thanks, 30 gallon would be a lot of pro mix anyways, plus they will be easier to move in smaller bags, I'll try 10-15 ones.
I'll look into buying those fabric pots too.
How do slugs get into the plants if there not in the ground?
Do you raise the plants off the ground or?
How big should the plants be before going outside?
And when do they go outside? Like now or June?
I'm close to Hallowell, Augusta, Manchester, not too far north where its colder.
Again, thanks

Mr. bong, haha

Can you also tell me the best place to get those bags? Like Paris Farmers or a grow shop, I notice there are different types too, is fabric best?
Since chatting with you, and you being in Maine like me, you convinced me to go forward with my outdoor grow :).
In fact, i'm heading to Paris now to price check and see what they offer, will brb and post my findings.
Thanks for your help partner.

Honestly maybe slugs can't reach the plants. I only mentioned it because I have had slug issues on my tomato and pepper plants. But they were in the ground....so maybe slugs can even get to them...??? Good question! No idea. My plants will be about 12"+ when going out. All the ones in your pics will be fine I think. I will be going outside next week, after all the rain we are supposed to get in the next couple days. They have been spending days outside and night inside right now, another reason these Dirt Pots are great. Plus they have handles :) I have 2 clones that are too small to go out, so they will be waiting a couple more weeks. The fabric pots are the only ones I have used, so I really don't know about other types. Any place that sells grow items should have the Dirt Pots. The brand I use are labeled "Hydrofarm Fabric Planter Dirt Pots".

Well I was curious about the lack of root balls with these Dirt Pots so I did a bit of research. Turns out the reason plants don't get root bound in these pots is due to the fact the roots actually grow through the fabric. The root tips dry out once exposed to air and fall off, instead of curling around the pot such as in a traditional pot. Once the tip falls off the root grow new shoots, similar to when you cut the end off a growing branch; the branch will stop growing longer and start new growth on the interior. It was referred to as "Air Pruning".

Wow, cool, Paris only had 30 gallon fabric ones for $16.99, I'll just go to a grow shop I guess.
I like the idea of handles too, also I like your idea of putting them outside days n in at nights til the weather gets better, all good ideas.
Home Depot has a 10x6x6 chain link dog run with gate for $199.00, just need a $5 lock n it will be legal.
I think I'll go shopping and set it up this week, ill post pics.

THG, say what you really mean, don't hold back. LOL Love you THG. I just read what you wrote about autos..made me laugh.

OK, so Sherrwood, if your talking smart pots they are wonderful, the roots do grow thru the fabric and self trim.

Kaotic, can you tell us more about the hours of darkness you do?

Green mojo Sherrwood. Nice to see your grow. IT is interesting to do an od after years of growing indoors.

IT is interesting to do an od after years of growing indoors.

Well, its gonna cost me $400 for the fence, pro mix n pots, plus the 6 plants so interesting it will be, outdoors is all new to me, and I'll feel stupid if I make a mistake that should/could have been avoided.

I just tasted the dried Nebula from the pic above, wow, real nice, just as described, those veg. Plants are the same, plus there's 2 Cole train, 2 Skunk 47, and 5 Critical Kush which are indoors only.
The 6 biggest, best responding plants will be chosen for my new outdoor adventure.

Any other advice or tips would greatly be appreciated :)

It may cost you 400 bucks but you will grow pounds of cannabis. Pounds. I am an organic gardener, and one thing I would suggest is some SNS 209, it is a rosemary oil that makes bugs leave the area. I would use that as a preventative... I had no bugs last year. I treat all my plant with it once at least.

Happy for you on your harvest.

Kaotic, can you tell us more about the hours of darkness you do?

basically same as indoor. try to keep em about 12 hours light/dark (but i aint no timer, aint always exact ;))
if it's just flipping a late runner, early.. i'll bring em in a few weeks earlier then natural bloom time, then stop moving em and leave em out when the daylight cycle is about 13 or less hours.

it's far from a perfect setup, and admittedly quite the PITA (why i want to eventually have a greenhouse/timer/winch setup)
..but it's worth it when you're out, then get a nice supply of OD mid-summer smoke ;)
:)

Latest posts

Back