brown dots, curling leaves, purple veins...help please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerillaweedfare

Reaction score
Hope all these attachments worked. All the picture are from the same plant
except the last one, which has just started showing the same signs.

Both plants grown in soil and have a run off between 6.1 - 6.3. Under a dual cooltube set up totaling 300 watts with plenty of ventilation. Been feeding her General Hydroponics FloraMicro, FloraGrow, and FloraBloom...following the building blocks method described on the back with tables. Just over a month into flowering.

These darn brown spots started out on the lower fan leaves and slowly has worked its way to the newer growth, closer to the buds. The pictures aren't the best quality because I'm using a camcorder but what do you guys and gals think of her??

DSC00048.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

DSC00050.JPG

DSC00053.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00051.JPG

Kinda looks like nutrient burn. But when you said it worked its way from bottom to top it made me think magnesium deficiency. Its hard to tell from those pictures. What is the ph of the water before you feed?

I just did a little research and I would say it is a mag deficiency. A low ph will cause a lock out of magnesium.

yeah that would make sense...i used to have a run off ph of 5.7 but have slowly been increasing it. the last time i fed her the ph was at 7.4 and the run off at 6.2. it has progressed pretty fast throughout the plant and is worse in random places.... i'll have to take a look at the nutes that i have and see which ones have magnesium in them...i won't bother adding any more though until i can get my ph up to at least 6.5

"I" don'r see signs of defficiency, not mg anyway.
I hate to even say the word... but I certainly see their tell tale signs....MITES....spider mites :shocked:
I'm afraid you have contracted the borg. :mad: :mad:

Hick said:
"I" don'r see signs of defficiency, not mg anyway.
I hate to even say the word... but I certainly see their tell tale signs....MITES....spider mites :shocked:
I'm afraid you have contracted the borg. :mad: :mad:

:yeahthat: Look for realy thin webs, and tiny little moving spots. Your plants are in my prayers.

get magnification and inspect the under sides of your leaves, but I have "0" doubt, that they ARE there... :confused2:

Mine looked this way a while back, it indeed was cal/mag def...looked just like this on my Pineapple Express and Northern Lights. Gave them plenty of molasses and they did good!

I could be mistaken, but by the pics, these do look just like mine did...

Roddy said:
Mine looked this way a while back, it indeed was cal/mag def...looked just like this on my Pineapple Express and Northern Lights. Gave them plenty of molasses and they did good!

I could be mistaken, but by the pics, these do look just like mine did...

see al those tiny "pinprick" like dots?... those are "mite-bites"..

Yep mites. They look like there in a couple weeks flower. Not good. Be preventative before flower in the future.

Im not seeing mites you guys. It looks like burning or rusting spots to me. I have mites in my grow right now so I know what they look like and his plants dont look like they have mites to me. Mites leave tiny white specks not big brown blotches like in those plants. Notice how the spotting is on the veins? He said it worked its way from bottom to top and the leaves are curling upwards. It still sounds likea mag defiecny to me but I really could be wrong.

Hick said:
see al those tiny "pinprick" like dots?... those are "mite-bites"..

I mentioned exactly the same thing when I was reporting my issues as I posted above, I had no mites and still have no mites. This could be mites, but it truly looks identical to my issue which was a cal/mag def.

eta...be safe, check the undersides of the leaves for living things, look for webs etc...if they're borgs, you'll see signs.

sry guys i just got back from snowboarding for a few days...but from what people are saying I think i have a cal/mag deficiency. the leaves that are affected are very brittle and have a lot of "rusty" spots. I've also had problems with my ph since square one (by adding peat moss to my soil mix and adding granular dolomite lime- not crushed up like i should have) and this makes me think I'm experiencing some sort of lock out....as for spider mites, I really don't think I have them. I had a hell of a time with them my last grow at my old apartment so I made sure that my growroom was spotless before I started this grow. no webs yet so I'm hoping I only have a cal/mag deficiency. I'm gonna flush her in a bit and try to get her ph right and then see what I can add for some cal/mag.

...sry for rambling on. I'm clearly still stoned from my snowboard trip

THANKS for the update GWF, please let us know how this turns out!!!! And of course, good luck and happy growing, my friend!

will do Roddy and thanks for all the help everyone. I've also noticed on the plant that's in the worst condition that the hairs on the buds are turning brown... More so and much faster than on any of my other plants. not sure what it means but I think it has something to do with my deficiency.

Roddy said:
THANKS for the update GWF, please let us know how this turns out!!!! And of course, good luck and happy growing, my friend!

...hey Roddy. I was just creepin on some of your older posts and happened to come across your northern lights grow journal. It said you had severe cal/mag def. half way through flowering and your pics look very similar to what mine looks like....what exactly did you do to help alleviate the problem that far into flowering???

If you have a grow shop nearby get some Cal-Mag made by Botanicare. You can also use epsom salt mixed with water and you can foliar spray it to get quick results.

orangesunshine said:
guerilla---YOU GOT MITES---all the cal mag in the world aint gonna kill thos spider mites---look under the leaves---you will see black spots---some of it is mite excrement---you have it bad enough that you won't need a magnifying glass to see them moving around underside of the leaves---all those dots you are seeing is the spots the mites are feeding at---the webs will show if you get to budding

I'm pretty sure I don't. I've dealt with them before and there are no black spots under the leaves...when i try to flip a lot of them over, the leaves will just crack they are so brittle. I haven't seen a single web and I believe the spots are too brown and rusty. when I had spider mites before, they left more like white dots that progressed to all my plants close by.

If I do happen to see any of those god forsaken pests ill let you guys know...for the mean time I just got back from the local grow shop and the guy there gave me a free sample of Botanicare Cal-Mag plus so I'll see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back