Growing Marijuana Forum

Buds of the Month: Aggie007 with Lemon Tree and Ston-loc with I Cookies
Go Back   Marijuana Growing Forum > Marijuana Cultivation > DIY Forum / Technical Articles
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search New Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
bombbudpuffa
Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa
Default DIY Cree LED grow light

Supplies-

Cree chips-ebay
Aluminum angles(for the frame)-hardware store, tractor supply, etc
Drivers for the leds and fans-ebay, you can buy mean well but you're just paying for a name.
Heat sinks-ebay
Wago connectors-ebay
Adhesive thermal pads-eBay
4/40 screws-eBay, this is the size I'm using cuz I have a lot of them

Tools-
Drill
Rivet gun
Soldering iron

I'll probably be editing this and adding more supplies so bear with me.
Attached Images

bombbudpuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 AM   #2
bombbudpuffa
Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa
Default Frame assembly

This step is easy. Just decide your dimensions, my light is going to be 4ft x 4/5 inches, cut your aluminum angles to match your dimensions, drill holes in the corners and rivet them together.

Next step is adding the heat sinks to the frame. I'll upload pics to that step in the morning.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
bombbudpuffa
Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

Default Adding the heat sinks

This step is fairly easy. My heat sinks are 6 inches x 3/4 in so I just put 6 of them side by side, drilled holes in the frame then the heat sinks to match and screwed and riveted everything together(I'll use rivets for the rest of these because it's easier). This block is going to hold 18 3w chips and I'll have 5 of these along the length of the light for a total of 90 3w leds.

The heat sinks will also make the frame more sturdy.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
screwdriver
Cleanest Member

screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver

What is the spectrum you are using for this light?
Used for flower or veg?
Are you aiming for passive cooling or fans for each section?
screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
bombbudpuffa
Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
What is the spectrum you are using for this light?
Used for flower or veg?
Are you aiming for passive cooling or fans for each section?
I'm going to have blues on a driver, reds on a dimmable driver and far reds and uv on a driver, each with their own on/off switch. I'll be using a crazily wide range on this light. 90 chips so I can really play around with it.

I'm going to have to use fans. 18 chips on those lil heat sinks will probably get really hot. I'm thinking about putting dimmers on those so if I don't need to run them full speed I can adjust them but not sure yet. I don't have a plan just modifying as I build.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #6
screwdriver
Cleanest Member

screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver

It depends on the grow area shape, but it might be neat to be able to swivel a group of leds in a different direction to get a different light spread.

Switches or dimmers, I wanted to do something but my light is so small I nixed the idea. With your light I can see an advantage to doing something.

Cooling, possible to form some ducting over the heatsink and vent out of grow area or use fewer noisy fans.
screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:56 AM   #7
bombbudpuffa
Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
It depends on the grow area shape, but it might be neat to be able to swivel a group of leds in a different direction to get a different light spread.

Switches or dimmers, I wanted to do something but my light is so small I nixed the idea. With your light I can see an advantage to doing something.

Cooling, possible to form some ducting over the heatsink and vent out of grow area or use fewer noisy fans.
I'll be using it in my 4x4 tent. I wanted it to be slim to fit between my 2 400w lamps.

You still could've added switches and dimmers. I think it makes the lights look cool to be able to dim them.

I'm just going to use computer fans. One fan per heat sink block. I think that should be sufficient. Maybe 30cfm...those should run quietly.