BBP...What are you giving your plants now?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
born2killspam said:
One very effective micro-organism that could be innoculated into soil that hasn't been mentioned yet is Aspergillus oryzae.. It is used in the fermentation of saki, and 'real' soy-sauce (Technically, like tabasco sauce, soy-sauce must be fermented to be considered real).. Perhaps adding malted rice (rice that has been malted by the A. oryzae) as a soil additive would be an ideal innoculation means since it would carb-load the soil very effectively as well..
You may be able to get it sold as 'koji' in asain food stores, but if not its easy to find online, just google 'koji spores'..
it is mentioned in this write up http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/composttea+soilfoodweb+soilquality/4/msg00069.html

Great find Doc. Heres a quote:).

(2) Lactic acid bacteria

Lactic acid bacteria produces lactic acid from sugars, and other carbohydrates produced by Photosynthetic bacteria and Yeast. Thus, food and drinks such as yogurt and pickles have been made by using Lactic acid bacteria for a long period of time. However, lactic acid is a strong sterilizer. It suppresses harmful microorganisms and increases rapid decomposition of organic matter. Moreover Lactic acid bacteria enhances the breakdown of organic matter such as lignin and cellulose, and ferments these materials without causing harmful influences caused by undecomposed organic matter.

Lactic acid bacteria has the ability to suppress Fusarium propagation which is a harmful microorganism causing disease problems in continuous cropping. Generally, increased Fusarium populations weakens plants. This condition promotes diseases and also results in the sudden increase of harmful nematodes. The occurrence of nematodes disappear gradually, as Lactic acid bacteria suppresses the propagation and function of Fusarium.

A similar beast that we can't tolerate in the fermenting game is aceto-bactor.. (Turns wine to vinegar really fast).. Has this come up in anybody's reading regarding soil biology?

No, its alot like LAB in a way.. It thrives in ethanol up to ~20%, and converts it to acetic acid.. I doubt ethanol is the only compound it metabolizes, although there will be some traces in soil.. It probably catalyzes alot of oxidations, as I assume LAB does as well..
There is a ton of info about it floating around since its used to make vinegar etc, but I haven't seen mention of it in soil biology..

bombbudpuffa said:
I didn't find it on the net...kind of my own concoction:D. I just thought fruits would be good for flowering so I found a soft flesh fruit and let it liquify. I added a lil tea so the bacteria in it would help it along a lil. You'll have to open the container everyday for about a week then it should be fine. Easy to make really...just water and strawberries and let sit for around a month.

Fermented plant extracts....nice. 1/3 unsulphured blackstrap molasses added to your plant matter will speed the process. Strain and dilute the serum VERY well though....1:100 to 1:500.

I add it to my ACT and use it as a foliar. Try it with banana, papaya, or pineapple, but be ready for some serious gassing. :hubba:

If you mix your lacto bacillus concoction with equal parts molasses, then mix that filtered water and wheat bran (1:20), in 2 weeks you'll have your own bokashi. After that the sky is the limit. Google 'bokashi' for more info. ;)

Happy Sunday to ya BBP, haven't chatted with ya in a while....hope all are well your over your way. :)

bombbudpuffa said:
I learned this from a guy on another site and though he gave exact amounts I just used the ingredients listed. You'll need-

1.2 tblspns White Rice
2.Half a cup of clean, no chlorine water
3.Milk

Step 1:put 1 tablespoon of rice into the half a cup of water. Shake it around a lil until the mixture turns cloudy. Pour the cloudy water into another cup and discard the rice. Repeat step 1 with the other spoonful of rice:).

Step 2:Let the water and rice dust mix sit in a room with constant temps where it won't be disturbed until you notice a film on top of the liquid. This is bacteria. This may take 2 or 3 days ime.

Step 3:This is the most important step and makes the L Bacillus dominant in the cultur. Fill the cup(I used an 8 ounce cup)with the rice water to the top with milk. Not to the rim but fill up the cup. Let this sit until the milk curds. This may take 2 or 3 days ime. Like I said before, the curds are good for your pets digestive system and the cats and dogs that are always in my yard love the stuff:p but it's no good for the plants so either throw away or put it on your compost pile. The yellow....ummmm...puss colored liquid is a L Bacillus culture. Just dilute by 20 times and give your ladies a drink:D.

I like anything natural and organic that may help produce higher-quality buds.

Tonight using the Persian rice I made for dinner (why 2 teaspoons when I can have a whole pan of rice give me thicker clouds?) I made the first step.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for dropping this piece of knowledge, bro.

It's been two days in a sealed (not airtight) honey jar.

The stuff has settled to the bottom, yet from the bottom the stuff is a bit "bubbly" shooting up bits of the stuff to the top and then they float down again.

What is happening? Is this supposed to happen? I don't yet see that pus-y ooze floating at the top.

Not only do I want to add it to the soil, but I like what you said that it eats up the things like dust and hair on the buds. I was wondering how I can take care of this. I hope this works. I have feathers floating around my room from a hole in a down-pillow, and I have tiny feathers stuck to my buds. I hope this stuff works to eat that organic stuff up.

sounds like a good experiment, SC, let me know the results.
hope it takes care of the dust, hair and pillow feathers.
till then, try a broom. a vacuum is probbably out of the question.
the recipe called for 2 teaspoons, so a whole pan of leftover rice = mo better!
cleave that succer! it will grow monster buds. next time yur bored.
remember: natural and organic = higher-quality buds.

$$

Checking the mixture I don't see any sort of froth at the top, so I must have done something wrong.

I made cloudy water and let that sit. I think I need to try allowing the rice to sit in a container of water and see if results look closer to the pictures.

The cloudy water smells a little sweet after previously smelling a bit fermenting a day or two after starting the experiment.

I think I need to try again.

Here's an idea, why not try following the instructions.

Maybe cooking your rice killed the very bacteria that were supposed to start the colony. The rice is a carrier of the bacteria and also supplies its food source in the form of starch.

Tater said:
Here's an idea, why not try following the instructions.

Maybe cooking your rice killed the very bacteria that were supposed to start the colony. The rice is a carrier of the bacteria and also supplies its food source in the form of starch.

Yes, when all else fails, follow the instructions.:rolleyes: :hubba:

I'm guilty too. Trying to cheat and using too much molasses in my first batch of bokashi.:eek:

Still have 40lbs left of the 50lb bag of wheat bran and a bit wiser for the blunder.

When done, this activated wheat bran is going to be A1 worm food.

Just going to take it slower and smarter for the next batch.:D

DD

Lol umbra, the same can be said about a lot of things in life. Once it clicks you got it for life.

Tater said:
Lol umbra, the same can be said about a lot of things in life. Once it clicks you got it for life.

I call it the "Ah Ha" moment, when the light goes on over your head.:eek:

The funny thing is, most of these moments usually come from reading an aside or comment that puts all the instructions into context and clarity.

The molasses bit was the same way. The guy was talking about activating EM concentrate, but the same principle held. Enough molasses woke up and activated the EM. Too much gave the 'bad' bacteria (aspergillis ?) enough of a toe hold to take over.

Thank God I didn't feel the need to experiment when I started my worm bin.:D They are doing more than well, and soon I will be able to start a second bin. Mostly, it's provide what's needed and leave them alone.

DD

Tater, I never said I cooked the rice.

The rice I used for cooking, I used the rinsed cloudy water and let this sit thinking these were the instructions.

I will try with rice sitting in the mixture for a few days and see what are results.

Tonight using the Persian rice I made for dinner (why 2 teaspoons when I can have a whole pan of rice give me thicker clouds?) I made the first step.

Sorry that part through me for a loop, I read it as you used the persian rice you made from dinner which came from the pan. Maybe I'm goofed in the head but to me thats how I read that.

Did you add the milk after the film formed on top and then let it sit? The rice itself only forms a very thin skim on top.

You can actually skip step 2 and it works fine:).

You can also use cheerios tom make your bokashi. Crush them, add a lil lactic bacteria and molasses, put the mix into an airtight, light tight container and let it sit for 2 weeks....voila! Ghetto bokashi. Works great in compost teas and as a soil additive:).

Hmm.. So is the bokashi more beneficial than the original LAB solution? Or is it situation dependant?

Also when you ph before watering, that has no effect at all on the culture?

Latest posts

Back