Pot Belly's 70 watt HPS grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone - update on the grow.

She's growing really well, and starting to put out those first-week-in-flower pistils.

Can tell there's something else other than short afghani genes under her hood - she is a fast grower that needs some serious LST management. So far so good.

Here are some pics..........

1 week flower.JPG

same.JPG

1 week in flower.JPG

LST - WW x NB.JPG

Looking great Pot Belly. Great job with her. Going to be some very nice buds here in the next few weeks. Keep us posted on her. Take care and be safe my friend.

So with a 70W or low wattage HPS, do you need to have a seperate ballast? Would plugging these into a normal lamp socket work, as they are such low wattage?

This might be a decent alternative to my one-plant CFL grows.

liermam said:
So with a 70W or low wattage HPS, do you need to have a seperate ballast? Would plugging these into a normal lamp socket work, as they are such low wattage?

This might be a decent alternative to my one-plant CFL grows.

Yes, a separate ballast is required to operate a 70 watt HPS or any HID light for that matter.

I know the base for the socket is the same size as a standard E26 (not mogule) light bulb base, but I would stick with a socket rated for HID use. It can handle the high voltage starting requirement without arcing inside the fixture. If you get an HPS low wattage security light (50, 70, 100, 150, etc,) all items you need are already in the package.

It is a decent alternative to a one-plant cfl grow as HPS lumens per watt are more than cfl's. The heat is relatively equivelant when comparing the two lights of equal lumen output.

Genius PB. I swear this is some of the finest cultivating i've seen with just a 70w. Shoot me some tips:D.

Hey BBP - thanks for stopping in my little corner over here.:p Aside from the really awesome genetics of this strain,:D Here is some of the stuff that works for me:

1) I like using balanced nute ratios, then I can tip the scale slightly and supplement with more N or PK nutes, depending on what stage of growth she's in.

2) About 1 and 1/2 gal soil container. It's Fox Farm OF soil, but I have mixed coffee ground compost and other stuff, and reuse my soil from the grows, so it has changed into a "living mix". The grow medium allows good drainage into a holding bin that allows the water to absorbe back into the grow medium 100% within 24 hours. She drinks about 1/3 gal water every day. I have to water every 24 hours. If I miss a watering, the next 24 hours will give me a very dry rootball and a wilted plant.

3) Temp during 'day' about 89 deg, 'night' at 75 deg. Humidity about 30% day, 45% to 55% at 'night'.

4) I top once at about 4 weeks old. LST after topping to about 2 to 3 weeks into flower, then I leave them alone. I make the branches go where I want, keeping the canopy at an even height and distance outwardly from the light. The light is directly above the center of the plant. I have mylar around the inside of the flowerbox. It is also a box, and not a room or closet. All of the light is directed to the plant with very little waste. The light stays mounted, and the plant is raised or lowered to it with spacer blocks.

Hey, amazing plant! Looks like it's been grown by a professional, :aok:

By the way, whats the lumen output on your 70 watt HPS?

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Hey, amazing plant! Looks like it's been grown by a professional, :aok:

By the way, whats the lumen output on your 70 watt HPS?

Hey MeNtAlPaTiEnT - Just having fun here. No where near a pro, but learning every day:)

A 70 w HPS puts out 6300 lumens.

Hey PB looks great bro tell you this them plants you be growing love your green thumb:D looks great for 70watt hps now i think you can also use a 150 in that too right well i know the one i have you can ;) but anyways nice grow bro be looking forward to watching this grow on bro peace

That crazy vancouver guy said:
that baby is healthy look'n, man :aok:

right on, man....

Thanks for stopping in, crazy. She's not messing around with filling out.

PB:)

Way to grow bro :aok: shes going to be a mini monster here real soon.

Sticky_Budz said:
Hey PB looks great bro tell you this them plants you be growing love your green thumb:D looks great for 70watt hps now i think you can also use a 150 in that too right well i know the one i have you can ;) but anyways nice grow bro be looking forward to watching this grow on bro peace

Whaddup Sticky - Great to see you step in for a visit. You bet I could use a 150 watt. This grow is an experiment to see what a 70 watt'er will do. I want to shed some 'light' on just how well a 70 watt HPS will do if you can capture and focus all those lumens down on your plant.

hey buddy, she is looking great! I cannot wait to see some buddage developing :D

By chance do you know how many litres there are in a gallon? I'm trying to work out best pot size for my plants but i don't work in gallons and i'm so confused :stoned:

Dubbaman said:
Way to grow bro :aok: shes going to be a mini monster here real soon.

Hey Dubbs:) Thanks for stopping in too. Kinda have a micro-macro grow, or is it a macro-micro grow? :p I'm going to have to think about that one for a bit.............. :D

Pot Belly said:
Whaddup Sticky - Great to see you step in for a visit. You bet I could use a 150 watt. This grow is an experiment to see what a 70 watt'er will do. I want to shed some 'light' on just how well a 70 watt HPS will do if you can capture and focus all those lumens down on your plant.

i was just curious if you could switch the 70 to 150 like mine thanks for the answer i did use the 70 when i had the micro grow going they work great as you can see with yours :D i want to add mine in with my 400 but I'm worried about the electric bill:shocked: a 400hps and 150hps and eight cfls in the veg room think i would see a hike lol well grow on bro peace

Latest posts

Back