Outdoor Medical Adventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bios

Reaction score
Hi all, tis the season and I'm going to be getting some plants in the ground this spring. I have a nice area that gets full sun from dawn til dusk. The size is roughly 25' x 25'. Although i can make bigger if I need it.

I'm still deciding on what I'm going to be starting from, seeds or clones. I'm leaning more and more to clones, although I hear that seeds will get bigger.

The plan is to dig nine, three feet holes, fill them with good soil and then create a 12'' high box surrounding the hole for a bit more dirt.

Check out the photos and I will be adding more posts about the grow. Thanks for reading!

View attachment IMG_0070.jpg

View attachment IMG_0071.jpg

View attachment IMG_0072.jpg

Hi Bios, welcome to MP..

I think the argument about clones being smaller then seeds isn't true. Given the right conditions I don't know that you could tell them apart.

I have one suggestion for you. I like your potting ideas. I would, however, mix 1/3 of the native soil in the holes, with the potting soil. not just potting soil alone.

Mojo for the grow and thanks for sharing this with us.

Thanks rosebud! Feeling the love! I will absolutely try your 1/3 native soil idea, sounds perfect, less soil I need to purchase hehe.

As far as clones vs seeds, I think I'm going to try a little mix of both, not like space is an issue.

Some concerns:
When I get the clones, likely they will be coming from an inside operation, I should probably get a timer and some cheapo cfl lights and setup a 18/6 or 16/8 light cycle inside for a few weeks first, so the plants are not shocked when put outside correct?

I grew some clones last year outdoor and they flowered way too early.

Also, I was looking at bcbudsdepot and their mix seeds package is decently priced, does anyone have experience with those strains including (Texada Timewarp, BC Purple Star, BC Pinewarp, Saturna Sativa, Sweet Island skunk, and among others). I do like the idea of guessing strains, Fun! Just curious if anyone has personally grown them.

I live in southern california, near the ocean so temps don't get extremely hot, although they do get very warm in the summer. (90 - 100 degrees F in the summer)

I was thinking about the 12'' x 2'' idea for the box(raised bed idea) and realized that I'm just going to build retaining walls with split wood that I have in abundance, should be fun and cheap, will definetely post pictures! Thanks for reading

-Bios

I agree with everything Rosebud said.

The hours of light a day determines when things start flowering. Even plants grown from seed and put outdoors this time of year will tend to flower early as the light hours are around 12/12.

I have never dealt with BC Bud Depot. I can say though that I believe that there is an advantage in knowing what strain you are growing, especially if you are a new grower. You will know the characteristics of the plant, what the high is like, and if the strain has any specific needs or wants. The benefit of being able to pick a strain that appeals to YOU is also huge, IMO.

I didn't understand this: "...I was thinking about the 12'' x 2'' idea for the box(raised bed idea)". I don't know what the 12" x 2" idea is?

dunno about putting them inside under 18/6 ..as long as the photoperiod is correct, they should be fine.
but you might want to put them in the shade, or a greenhouse the first few days.. can be a bit intense going directly into the sun from indoor.

i'm curious why/how your other clones flowered way to early though.. when did you put them out? (did they just bloom early -maybe a bit of auto tendency?- or did they start blooming as soon as you put them out?)

never tried BCbudsdepot.. so don't know who/what version they have. texada timewarp was a pretty popular local strain from eons ago.. fast finishing, good yielder, decent smoke. was a top OD choice for years ;)

Hello fellow smokers,

I had some holes dug today. There wasn't a lot of daylight left by the time my boys got there, but still managed.

I found some vacant housings, red eight legged friends, a few blood thirsty gargoyles, and that its going to be a bit difficult to get water up to the area. I was thinking that I could possibly rig a 3 - 1 mechanical pulley system to transport 5 gallon buckets up.

QUOTE=The Hemp Goddess;924566] didn't understand this: "...I was thinking about the 12'' x 2'' idea for the box(raised bed idea)". I don't know what the 12" x 2" idea is?[/QUOTE]

Let me clarify, I was going to build 30'' x 40'' raised beds around the individual holes with 12'' x 2'' pieces of lumber from the hardware store, but I decided that it would be easier and cheaper to use some of the split wood i have nearby. I will select the right pieces and create 12-16'' walls instead.
Also I like your suggestion of growing one strain, or at least two and then I will have a better idea when to cut.

=kaotic i'm curious why/how your other clones flowered way to early though.. when did you put them out?

If only I had some sort of written information, but I remember putting them out a bit early, possibly mid to end of april. Perhaps the strain was blooming early. I was kind of thinking that because they came from 24/0 lighting, putting them directly into what end of Aprils day length is, that might have sent them directly into flower.

Some pictures from the day.

View attachment IMG_0078.jpg

View attachment IMG_0079.jpg

View attachment IMG_0083.jpg

View attachment IMG_0085.jpg

View attachment IMG_0086.jpg

putting clones out in april where I'm at, have had them flip early also.. I wouldn't put clones out atleast until a few weeks into may. Reveg sucks.

I find seeds indoors until a decent size, and going out late april, into may works good for me. Like Kaotic said, just ween them into it in the shade for about a week. The sun is a powerful thing

Greetings!

Seeds have arrived, I ordered Ice, bubblelicious auto flower, and swiss cheese from Nirvana seeds, And Texada Time warp from bc bud depot.

Also I have three clones going for about a two weeks now.

I put 7 of the texada in soil and have them under my CFL.

Still have not gotten any soil for my holes yet, but im working on it.

Also I noticed the clones have a few hairs already..... i really hope they are not somehow going into flower already. I have everything on a timer inside for 18/6 light cycle.

View attachment IMG_0129.jpg

View attachment IMG_0130.jpg

Those Autos will not do well outside.

they look like they might be revegging.. hopefully they are anyway.
were they in bloom when you cloned em? or where did they come from?

They came from a medical distributor. They are some kind of OG.

I put some more seeds in pots to sprout.

so the total now is 1x bubble, 2x ice, 6x random seeds that came with nirvana, and 7x texada tiimewarp.

That single and curved leaf looks like reveg to me too. That's some gnarly looking dirt you have there.. Man, was that tough digging? Very rocky which means it will drain well. I would fill the holes with water to see how quickly the holes drain. If it drains too slow you will have to put some rock back in... Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

I think you need your plants to be under 24 hour light. Fun to follow this, thanks for posting.

Hello, I know i havent been on here in a while but I am here now and have some pictures to share.
So the original plot area had to be relocated.
I decided to use 46gal garbage cans as the containers for the best plants.
Had total of six 46gal cans. Two started budding about 1 1/2 weeks ago, Two of the biggest have not shown sex yet, one just showed me some white pistols =) and one i had to chop. =6 cans..
had a few in smaller 20 gal pots, three males chopped and two femals from that.

Had some extreme wind yesterday and the one showing white pistols fell down 75%, not touching the ground tho. So I got some late night string and tied them all up. All of them to be safe.

I had some problems with spider mites early season, i used some organic/safe bugspray on them a few times, mites seem to have gone away for the majority. Other than that nothing too horrible. biggest problem is the wind.

Some reason all the plants grew on this weird angle. didnt try to fight it, just let them grow like that, but after the wind the other night im afraid im going to have to devise a support system, i was thinking of rigging a couple of ropes from opposite trees, and then tieing the tops of the plants to the rope.

I also started some more seedlings, I am going to be experimenting with light timers and outdoor growing throughout the year.
Was thinking about rigging CFLS in the growing area and when the sun goes down early set the timer to come on for a few hours of light to trick the plant into staying veg.

anyone have experience doing this?

Thems some fine greenery you got there brother . Have you had much problems with pests they look happy anyway!!

Thank you! minor spider mite early season, sprayed, nothing major ....yet...

Hey guys had some time on my lunch break to get some shots,

Image 1. is from one of the big texada's and pretty much the entire plant is showing yellow on the leaves, been trying to flush it.

Image 2 +3 something got to one of the mid flowering ladies, the one on the right of image 4.

Image 4. Two of the females I didnt repot into 45gal cans. Im not sure what strain they are, either bubble, ice, or one of the random seeds that came w/ nirvana seeds. They are not the texada timewarp. Only texada is the big ones that are just starting to show me pestils .

Image 5. Left is the texada timewarp and to its direct right is another timewarp. In front is the same plant from image 4.

Image 6 is one of the early flowering girls, shes in a 45gal can, Thats her top cola.

Image 7. same one as image 6.

Image 8. Another early flower, not sure the strain, one of the previously stated.

Image 9. Out of focus closeup of one of the buds from image 8.

View attachment IMG_0303.jpg

View attachment IMG_0295.jpg

View attachment IMG_0296.jpg

View attachment IMG_0297.jpg

View attachment IMG_0298.jpg

View attachment flower1.jpg

View attachment flower2.jpg

View attachment flower3.jpg

View attachment flower4.jpg

Latest posts

Back