? on topping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjane22

Reaction score
okay i know what topping is but exactly how do u do it..where exactly do you top?

Hope this helps a lil.

IMG_2131.JPG

may I?...

just go down the stem from the top of the plant about 3 branches and take your top from there. at around 3 - now... what you preferrably want to do is make your cut right above where 2 branches are generally close together - some are closer together and some are further apart... you want to make your diagnal cut with a sterilized razor or pair of scissors (spelling?) alchohol
so if you make it at the 4th or 5th "node" it's ok... just make it at a close-together node cuz these will both become new tops in that case.

okay and when can i do this in veg or in flower..does it make a difference

let me show you. :)

PIC 1 AND 2 you will see the regular plant BEFORE topping

PIC 3 shows MY method of topping. This is simply to pluck the baby leaflets on the innerside. I do NOT cut a whole top of a plant, the recovery is MUCH longer and can stunt growth. is my topping tweezers. FYI - PINCHING is a form of "topping".

PIC 4 is the plucked piece from the plant

No point in doing this in flower mode in my opinion because you're not trying to split branches here, you're trying to grow flowers. If you take away the energy to flower, you will most likely end up with less. Do it before you flower.

PIC 5 6 7 - The results of the plant after a few days of recovery. The main stem has branched into two new main stems. :) The NEW growth is the lighter green stems, not the purple stems.

PICT0016.JPG

PICT0017.JPG

PICT0018.JPG

PICT0019.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

PICT0037.JPG

PICT0038.JPG

That crazy vancouver guy said:
may I?...

just go down the stem from the top of the plant about 3 branches and take your top from there. at around 3 - now... what you preferrably want to do is make your cut right above where 2 branches are generally close together - some are closer together and some are further apart... you want to make your diagnal cut with a sterilized razor or pair of scissors (spelling?) alchohol
so if you make it at the 4th or 5th "node" it's ok... just make it at a close-together node cuz these will both become new tops in that case.

I need to add to my method here... I forgot to mention about using my topped piece to make a clone for another mother plant. that's what I was initionaly describing how to top the plant. I thought the person was asking how to make a clone by topping the plant. k... I'm done for now... gunna go fire up again. later....

hey i top my plant just like MD, it seems to be the best way. you are just stopping the plant still in height, the new growth is the side branches growing faster. and those 2 new colas are just side branches. but they form your new top colas.

I like MD's way of doin it. So the tiny leaves in the middle of the top leaf u pluck? And also generally... can u top more than once? using leaves u already topped? And does LST only occur once when ur first bend the plant? Or do u do it periodically?

Why take the top 3 branches down? Why not top sooner, sounds like you wasting growth.
Are you taking into account cloning the top?
I just top when it looks like it can be taken off cleanly, is there advantages to 3 branches down I am missing?

not just the leaves, but all the new growth, yes you can top more than once, i have a grapefruit plant that has 5 tops:eek:

mr bubbles, less bud sites, those are branches that fatty nugs would be on, if you let more than three grow, i let mine go around 10 branchs before i topped

maryjane22 said:
okay and when can i do this in veg or in flower..does it make a difference
personally, in veg is your time for topping unless you want some funky bud...yes, it will grow like that. you can make your bud looked like a freak of nature.
if your wanting alot of tops, how long your vegitation is will determine how much you can top...i got a beautiful lady with 12 main stems, she looks awesome...kept her short too, about 15 inches total height. top away dude, just make sure you let her heal and you'll be fine.
edited: pretty lady there headband

Reactions: D3
headband said:
mr bubbles, less bud sites, those are branches that fatty nugs would be on, if you let more than three grow, i let mine go around 10 branchs before i topped

Thanks of the info, the post I was referring to said down from the top 3 branches. I just wanted to know why allow the 3 additional branches to form only to be removed.

I topped my first plant at the 5th node, but in the thinking above I should of grown it to 8 nodes to top at the 5th. Interesting read none the less. :)

you wouldn't want to top 3 branches down either, then you loose those three top branch nugs. maby i just dont understand what your saying.

top in veg only, unless you want crap buds that look weird from all the stress like octo said

headband said:
you wouldn't want to top 3 branches down either, then you loose those three top branch nugs. maby i just dont understand what your saying.

I am not saying anything, just repeating what someone else wrote above and you misinterputed because it sounded odd. :D

I to would advise against topping in flower, I tried and it shocked the **** out of the plant. The yield was pathetic to say the least.

I personally have never found a benefit to yield from topping.

Over the time i've been on various forums, i've noticed that a lot of people will always advise you not to take fan leaves off, as they are a source of energy for the plant.

Well if you take off the top and the top 3 nodes then surely your losing more than just taking the fan leaves.

I personaly have had similar effects to topping by just removing key fan leaves at important time to let light through to the lower bud sites to let them develop.

I had some northern lights and I didn't top at all, i just removed fan leaves that were blocking light of these lower bud sites and they soon rose up and blossomed.

To lose out on the main cola which is worth 2 ounces or more could be a costly mistake in my opinion.

I grant that at times and certain situations it will work better for some people, mixing a topping with a scrog will get a great yield for a closet grower.

Don't take this as me hating, just saying

Some plants grow really bushy and there is no need to top but others grow straight up with very few limbs and if you don`t top them they may grow to tall and get top heavy and damage the plant. Topping slows down the hight of the plant and lets the main stem grow stronger. In other cases you can keep a plant from growing tall enough to be seen over your fence or from reaching the top of your grow area. Yield may not be the only reason for toping or not toping. I may not be able to grow a 7 foot tall plant in my flower bed without it being seen but i might can grow a 2 foot one that i keep topping through out the summer untill it starts budding. Everyone always want`s too take sides on weather it makes more bud when what we should look at is that topping is a great stealth alternitive. Slim

Latest posts

Back