Glass blowing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

louis

What all would I need to start learning to blow glass? I wanna make some pipes at home, anyone know what I would need to get a cheap setup?

Thanks,
Louis.

I know you need a kiln.....Pretty expensive though my freind got one for $3,000. The pipes he made were so sweet though.

yeah or a really hot burning fire ,,perferably cedar, and maple to burn right hot,, cedar burns right fas5t and hot and maple burns slower but still pretty hot ,, the cedar will get the maple burning a bit faster and hoter and your coal chamber will be hot as heck

Thanks everyone, I already had assumed that (Except for the hot fire, thanks for savin me $3,000 walter :p ) but what is needed to actually blow the glass?

You'll have to find a suply store for that certain reason. Look on the net.
I've known people to use only high powered blow tortches to create blown glass. It would be just as expencive in the long run, but a cheap buy for now.

there are dvd's out there on the web that show you how to use a bow tortch to create your costom pipes, I'd recomend going to a school, or learning from someone who blows. ask a local pipe shop who they're supplied by, and try to find people locally that might be able to teach you, if not for free, a smaller cost than what schools would cost.

good luck,

Yup, i know people who use hand torches to blow glass, actually that's pretty much the most common way i've seen glass blown. a big glass tube, good lungs, and some skill and you can have a nice "home blown" pipe! :)

My friend used a glass tube, and a like he said a blow shaft and his knowledge. he makes it look sooo easy and comes out with amazing looking pipes, a blow here, a twirl and a blow here and you can have sweet looking pipe. Glass for the win!

~Burn One~
Dewayne

Look into GTT torches. They're very nice. You'll need the fuel tanks too to hook the torch up to. Then you'll need to get your colored rod and clear tube. A kiln to fire your pieces. Look into some shaping paddles so you can work the glass. Fire protective gloves come in very handy. Very important is the goggles/sun glasses/ face shields. Take your pick, but make sure you get a good quality pair. Without it you'll really mess your eyes up over time. The proper work area is also needed. Ideally you want a big fan above you to **** out all the vapors and heavy metals that will fill the air. Basically, good ventilation is crucial... Just like with growing marijuana.

I highly suggest you visit the website www.glasspipes.org if you want to see some expert pipe making. You can also see from their pictures how the glass is worked to get a better idea of it.

Latest posts

Back