Help with clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know this for sure but my thinking is that trying to cut the stem 4 ways exposed too much interior of the stem (I think it is called the Phloem) while doing it and it created air embolisms (unless you did it all under water). There are many little things that can affect cloning, both good and bad.

I don't think ill be trying that again. Do you think one should just hit the 45degree cut and call it good?

Should I continue to cut the bottom 1x or not? Scruffing the outer bottom is probobaly more beneficial?

I always take my cuts and immediately put them in water to keep them until I get all that I am going to do, then I trim them up and get everything ready first. Then I cut them to the length that I want, cut on a 45/ and I scrape the skin a little around the bottom 1cm of the stem, dip it into the cloning gel, and then straight into the clone medium of choice. I use a bubble cloner myself as I like it, but the rapid rooter things work well also.

Take a glass of water into the grow/garden. I use real glass so I can see the stem. Cut the stem, put it in water and immediately cut it again while under water. This is how we do roses that we show. Most people in that arena use HOT water to take the cuts in. Opens the vascular system I guess. Don't either do that or bring to sink and cut again under running water. Keep the water drip on the end of stem and put in rooting medium.

Thank You RoseB. Will try that next time. Should I use warm or cool water? Couldn't make that part out.

I like to use water that is about room temp. I don't know that it makes any difference. As far as splitting the stems. I used to do it, but don't now. Not because it didn't work, but more because that it seemed to not make much difference. so, why go to the trouble. Now I just do like Hush--cut at a 45 underwater and scrape the stem.

Am umbra mentioned, cleanliness is critical. Be sure to sterilize your razor blade and make sure everything is clean, clean, clean.

Latest posts

Back