Seedling Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is under a air cooled hood. I can put my hand within 6" of the glass. I was just thinking that I would slowly acclimate the plant to the new light. I will start moving it closer in 6" increments. I also gave my first feeding this morning. I have decided to use the Nectar for the Gods line of organic nutrients. I only used it at 1/4 strength today. I will slowly move up full strength.

Good plan on both feeding and light distance to get it acclimated. I would stop at 1' away from the plant so that you don't get light bleaching from being too close.

It doesn't matter when you water them as long as the soil has reached sufficient dryness and you don't get any water on the leaves. Water/feed slowly to allow the soil to become fully saturated so that you don't get dry pockets which can kill roots. She is looking quite happy :)

Thanks Hush!!! Glad to hear from all the experienced grower s that I'm on the right path!!!!!! I am just about ready for the first topping! What can you tell me about the deformed looking leaves? I've searched for any kind of bugs that might be eating the leaves but haven't seen anything. Is this normal or is there something I can't see that I need to treat for?

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413135545.217873.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413135555.909880.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413135565.825945.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413135573.325317.jpg

Also, when should I transplant to its final 5 gall

Sorry about the last post, I hit send while trying to type, big thumb and small iphone....lol....

Anyway, as I was asking, when should I transplant to its final 5 gallon pot? Or should I go into a 2 or 3 gallon pot before going into the final 5 gallon pot?

I have heard of a few things that cause that leaf curl/twist/taco-fold, but the only thing that I remember is possible magnesium shortage. Not necessarily a deficiency though as that shows a little different. Do you have dolomite lime in your medium? If you don't then you need to get some. The Espoma garden lime is very good but don't get heavy with it, or it will drive you pH too high. Ask THG and Hammy about how much to use.

As far as transplanting, I would wait another week or 2 (somewhere around the 4th week depending on how fast they are growing) as they look like they are comfortable and happy at the moment. Then I would go to the ffinal container. How old/big are they now? What size pots are they in?

I was going to put the dolomite lime in but the guy I deal with at my local grow shop said I shouldn't need it because I was adjust my waterWondering if any organic gardeners out there have heard of, used or using Nectar for the Gods line up of nutrients? If so, what do you think of them and what products in the line up have you used? Thanks for any and all advise!!! s pH when I water. He said that if I wasn't doing that then the lime would be the way to go because it would adjust the water/nutes in the soil.

It's is in about a 3/4 gallon pot for now. I do want to grow this plant to be a mother plant. Is there anything "special" I should be doing because I am growing this out to be a mother plant and not going to flower it out? I did trim off the first "Single" leaves as well as the first set of three leaf leaves last night.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413307720.456164.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413307732.011721.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413307746.212684.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413307755.533784.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413307765.611009.jpg

That person didn't tell you exactly correct. While you don't necessarily need to use lime to control the pH if you are manually adjusting, it still is a very helpful element to have in organic grows. Dolomitic lime has plenty of magnesium and a lower amount of calcium which the plants need. These 2 elements are not usually given in concentrated liquid nutrients(except in very small amounts) because they tend to bind with the other elements and cause the nutrients to precipitate out of the solution where they are not useful to the plants.

When growing organically, you have to think off your soil as being alive and in a symbiotic relationship with the plant. You feed the soil and then the microbes within the soil feed the plants. Ffor this reason, you want to supply all off the things that the soil needs to feed the plants. Magnesium and calcium are 2 very important elements that must be there. The lime is made so that it will release into the soil and become subject to the microbes to use for feeding the plants. At the same time, the lime will work with the microbes to maintain a pH balance. If you adjust your pH going in, it will not stay adjusted because of the actions of the plants and microbes working within the soil to retrieve and use certain elements. The lime stays present and works in balance for a much longer period of time.

Now as far as making a mother plant ffor cloning, all you have to do is just grow the plant to a certain height and try to keep it at that height while taking cuttings periodically. As long as that plant stays in 24hrs of light, it will stay in veg. One thing that many off us do with our plants for getting clones is we either top the plant or FIM the plant to force it to become more bushy rather than allowing it to grow "stalky". However, you have to check on the breed of the plant to know iff it will take that kind of training. Some strains will not take well to topping or Fimming.

I noticed that you said you cut off some leaves at the bottom. You don't need to do that as that will encourage the plant to grow straight up as opposed to bushing out. Check with the breeder of this plant to see if it will accept topping or not. If it will accept it, then go ahead and do a topping or FIM to encourage the bushy growth then let her grow and keep her happy. You don't have to do anything special for a plant to be a mother plant. I have found that if you have a plant that has been used as a mother for several runs, she will get very big and take up space. At that point, I go ahead and flower her out after I have several successful clones. Then I just choose one of the clones to take her place as the new mother.

Keep in mind that a lot of people who work in hydro stores don't even grow. I don't think this guy does or he wouldn't have told you to not use lime...jeez, stuff like this kills me. If you put line in the soil, it will often buffer the soil so that you do not need to go through the hassle of pH'ing everything. However, and this is a huge however, if you are growing organic and your tap water is not way out of whack (like 9 or 5) you shouldn't need to pH your grow at all. And I can not believe that your hydro guy did not know this. So, my advise is to listen to nothing this person says and rely on the experienced people here who have grown hundreds if not thousands of plants.

Do you have room for a mother plant? A lot of us don't and we just take clones from clones. You can do this for years and years.

Nectar of the Gods must have had a bunch of salespeople going around to hydro stores pushing their stuff. I had never heard of it before a week or 2 ago. And now you are the 2nd new grower who has purchased that line. That is a multi-product line. What exactly did you get?

Nectar of the Gods must have had a bunch of salespeople going around to hydro stores pushing their stuff. I had never heard of it before a week or 2 ago. And now you are the 2nd new grower who has purchased that line. That is a multi-product line. What exactly did you get?

It is a multi-product line. I am using the, I guess would be their 4 part "beginner" products. I am sure I will add more down the road. as far as I can tell this one is loving it!!!

I figured it was the easiest way(for me!) to grow organic.

View attachment IMG_0859.jpg

View attachment IMG_0858.jpg

Do you have room for a mother plant? A lot of us don't and we just take clones from clones. You can do this for years and years.

I don't really but I am working on making some. Right now I have about a 3' X 3' X 8' room. This will ultimatly be my flowering room. There is a 600W MH bulb in there now. I will be changing that to a HPS when its time. It is an air cooled hood with a 6" fan exhausting from the hear from the light and room to the outside. I plan on building another grow box that will have HO T5's in it. That is where I will keep my mother plant and raise clones for the flowering room. I haven't quite figured out the timing issue yet with keeping a set of plants flowering at all times. I guess that will come with experience.

I noticed that you said you cut off some leaves at the bottom. You don't need to do that as that will encourage the plant to grow straight up as opposed to bushing out. Check with the breeder of this plant to see if it will accept topping or not. If it will accept it, then go ahead and do a topping or FIM to encourage the bushy growth then let her grow and keep her happy. You don't have to do anything special for a plant to be a mother plant. I have found that if you have a plant that has been used as a mother for several runs, she will get very big and take up space. At that point, I go ahead and flower her out after I have several successful clones. Then I just choose one of the clones to take her place as the new mother.

i cut the first and second set of leaves off in hopes to let the shoot that was coming from that node better growth. I was actually thinking of maybe cutting off the next two lowest sets of fan leaves to give all the under growth more light and all the attention instead of the fan leaf getting the attention from the plant. Here is what I am talking about. Thanks :vap-leafy_wave:

View attachment IMG_0866.jpg

NO! Do not cut fan leaves off. The fan leaves are where the huge majority of the photosynthesis takes place. The buds do not really require light, the leaves do. Cutting off fan leaves is counterproductive.

Why not just take clones from clones?

I'm not sure why I don't take clones from clones. When I think about it, it kinda makes since. I guess from this point I would grow this plant big enough to get 6 clones from it(I'm only allowed 6 flowering plants at one time) then flip it and flower this one plant out. While this plant is flowering the clones will have about 8 weeks time to root and get big enough to move into the flowering room. A week or two before putting the 6 clones I'm the flowering room I would take one clone from each plant and start the process all over again? Is that kinda how you do it? Seems logical to me?

I did top her this morning before work. I hope I didn't do it too soon and I hope I did it right!!! I didn't take any pictures but I will tonight when I get home! I'm kinda nervous about it!!!...lol

I'm not sure why I don't take clones from clones. When I think about it, it kinda makes since. I guess from this point I would grow this plant big enough to get 6 clones from it(I'm only allowed 6 flowering plants at one time) then flip it and flower this one plant out. While this plant is flowering the clones will have about 8 weeks time to root and get big enough to move into the flowering room. A week or two before putting the 6 clones I'm the flowering room I would take one clone from each plant and start the process all over again? Is that kinda how you do it? Seems logical to me?

Its called Perpetual Harvest and many do it, Your plant looks happy.

I did top her this morning before work. I hope I didn't do it too soon and I hope I did it right!!! I didn't take any pictures but I will tonight when I get home! I'm kinda nervous about it!!!...lol

Basically, yes that is it. Always take more clones than you think that you will need as not all of them will necessarily root and you can pick the strongest to keep. You don't necessarily need to take 1 cut from each plant. Usually, even though they are all clones from the same mother, you will get some variance in the way they grow. You can take cuts from the strongest most vigorous plants.

Your plant is large enough to top and don't be nervous--it is hard to top a plant wrong as it simply entails cutting off a portion of the top growth. Fimming is like a mini topping and involves just cutting off about 1/2 of the newest growing tip, usually about 1/2 or 3/4". I personally prefer fimming as I do not lose so much top growth and it usually splits into 4 tops rather than 2.

When growing in soil, I like to grow organic also. I love the earthy smell of the soil and the nutrients. I love not having to worry about the pH. What exactly does the 4 part beginner pack consist of? I always like to know what I am feeding my plants and what each thing does.

Do you just have 1 plant?

Right now, I do only have one plant. Here is what I am using:

Gaia Mania
Ingredients:
Soybean extract, feather meal, bone meal, worm castings, leonardite, and Kelp extract (Ascophyllum nodosum)
http://oregonsonly.com/gaia-mania

Herculean Harvest
Ingredients:
Steamed bone meal.
http://oregonsonly.com/herculean-harvest

Medusa’s Magic
Ingredients:
Soybean extract, feather meal, bone meal, worm castings, potassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate and calcium nitrate
http://oregonsonly.com/medusas-magic

Zeus Juice
Ingredients:
Humic acid and Kelp extract (Ascophyllum nodosum)
http://oregonsonly.com/zeus-juice

I just added this to line line up as well.

Demeter
Demeter’s Destiny
Ingredients:
Calcium phosphate
http://oregonsonly.com/demeter

Seems like this plant is liking it so far as well. I'm sure I will add other products down the road too.

Right now, I do only have one plant. Here is what I am using:

Gaia Mania
Ingredients:
Soybean extract, feather meal, bone meal, worm castings, leonardite, and Kelp extract (Ascophyllum nodosum)
http://oregonsonly.com/gaia-mania

Herculean Harvest
Ingredients:
Steamed bone meal.
http://oregonsonly.com/herculean-harvest

Medusa’s Magic
Ingredients:
Soybean extract, feather meal, bone meal, worm castings, potassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, potassium sulfate and calcium nitrate
http://oregonsonly.com/medusas-magic

Zeus Juice
Ingredients:
Humic acid and Kelp extract (Ascophyllum nodosum)
http://oregonsonly.com/zeus-juice

I just added this to line line up as well.

Demeter
Demeter’s Destiny
Ingredients:
Calcium phosphate
http://oregonsonly.com/demeter

Seems like this plant is liking it so far as well. I'm sure I will add other products down the road too.

Do you know what each of these additives does for the plant? Do you actually need to use all those at once?

Latest posts

Back