Making clones like a newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

000StankDank000

Reaction score
So trying to get some genetics off a buddy and he can't have any luck with roots on the clones.

Cut clone dip in gel and place it into a PH cube. Then into the dome and heat mat. 80F and high humidity. Misting regularly . They are not wilting just not rooting. Been 10 days so far.

The gel was a free sample at a cup.

What else can be done? Thinking gel is suspect
What do you old heads think
StankDank

If the temps are too high or too low, that can slow it down or stop it entirely. You want to be just under 80f (78-79f). Also the gel could be bad.
The most likely thing if they haven't wilted after a week, is that the strain is one that is difficult to clone. Is it Larry OG Kush? She is a bear to clone sometimes. If they haven't wilted then they are still alive and possibly getting ready to root. Don't disturb them and watch for some new growth at the tops as that will tell you that they have rooted. I try to keep my water at about 78f for moistening the cubes and at 6.0-6.5, but I have heard and read that they seem to root better when the pH is closer to 6.0, although I don't know that to be an absolute.

It often takes me 2 weeks to get roots. What is a PH cube?

A Rockwell cube that has it's PH adjusted?
New clone hormone was bought today in a powder form.
The strain is DNA-Tangie

I have never heard of these...did you buy them commercially?

Rockwell has a high PH I have been told. I was always told to soak the cubes in PH adjusted water to make sure the cubes have the right PH .
I have read it all over the net and guys at hydro shop said it also.

I can't be the only one.

Make your own DIY clone Bubbler ..
its fun too and cheap ...lol
gurgle for more

What is the set up of your lighting for the clones?

Have you tried, deep dipping in your hormone gel?, are you cutting, scrapping and splitting the cutting under water? Is there any hormone gel showing after you have it in your medium? Humidity and temp control? And last and most important, is the mother mature enough, stress free, and did clipping come from the lower node branches?

The lights are T8 . The temp and humidity is controlled . I'm doing all of cutting scrapping but not under water? I have never heard about this before. I'm not sure about the mother that could be an issue I know he said water was an issue for him.

Powdered kelp.
Added to water.

cloning can be quite challenging if the strain is one that doesn't clone too easy. I have seen some that I swear you could throw in the floor and they would root, but some of them will not root unless every little detail is to their liking. It is important to do some of the final cutting and scraping of the stem under water so that you don't get an air embolism in the end of the stem as that is certain death for that cutting. Many of us are bad about not doing the final stuff under water and it sometimes bites us with failures.

Rockwell has a high PH I have been told. I was always told to soak the cubes in PH adjusted water to make sure the cubes have the right PH .
I have read it all over the net and guys at hydro shop said it also.

I can't be the only one.

Well, yes, we all know that, but I have just never seen anyone call rockwool cubes that they have treated "PH Cubes".

You might try another medium. I find that rockwool cubes hold a lot of moisture....sometimes too much. I am currently having better luck just sticking them into soil.

:yeahthat: I hate rockwool for that very reason. very challenging to maintain the proper moisture level without drowning them. DGF uses strait, plain coco coir and has had really good success with several different strains. But if you will be growing in a hydro system that uses the LECA then you will need to use something more like Rapid Rooter cubes as these hold just the right amount of moisture. You also need to keep the air and water between 77f and 80f until they get rooted.

Make sure your t8s arent too close to your plants. A 12/12 schedule works best. I found that this has been the difference in my cloning. I used to set the light on top of them and run it 24 hours. Had about 50 percent success before i changed that up. Last cloning i did had 100%. I believe the cutting throws roots much faster this way as well.

I have seen dome lids that fit the T5 and T8 bulbs on top of the dome. Too close?

best advise i got is leave em alone.
i'm admittedly not a great grower, but have great success with clones (i only take 1 clone, as they always root for me) ..but i've always used peat pucks. no rockwool experience.

all i do is cut on an angle
trim all fan leaves about halfway back.
pull the lowest node down and off (to reveal more rooting area)
dip in water then in stimroot
plant in peat puck (that i soak, then leave out for a few hours to not be sopping wet ;) )
put under dome, and leave alone.

..no heat mat, and definitely no misting (worse routine you can do with cloning IMO)
i hate misting.. in my layman thinking from watching it; it makes em lazy.. "why shoot roots? i've got what i need like this" :D

cloning can be quite challenging if the strain is one that doesn't clone too easy. I have seen some that I swear you could throw in the floor and they would root, but some of them will not root unless every little detail is to their liking. It is important to do some of the final cutting and scraping of the stem under water so that you don't get an air embolism in the end of the stem as that is certain death for that cutting. Many of us are bad about not doing the final stuff under water and it sometimes bites us with failures.

As we know some girls just need more pampering than others, knowing your girls will help you treat them accordingly. I bet larry you have to do every single trick, and light a lil prayer candle.

well looks like im gonna need the popes blessing for the purple kush clones i took last night from unsexed plants---they're in un ph'd rockwool---not cut under water and constantly being sprayed in the diy cloner---all sitting on a heating mat---all the cuts are clipped and bent over because they were cut from lower bent branches---upside if there is one---they were dipped in clonex gel before inserting into the rockwool---god bless this mess---little green mojo from some friends wouldn't hurt either---please include my cuts in your prayers---:eek:

Latest posts

Back