Looking for some supervision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongofury

Need a light?
Reaction score
I have waiting in my cart at Amazon a cloning dome with heating pad and top vents, Clonex cloning gel and a 50 pak of rapid rooter. Is this a good choice for cloning?

I have been reading of all the methods and utensils that are available and I decided on the above. Seems an easy way to start cloning.

Also, I have 2 plants outdoors. Can I take clones from those? I already lollypopped them if that means anything.

Yes I am planning my next grow. I wanna try cloning.

What's the temps in your grow area.......... I've never used a heating pad........ post us a link to it....... sure you can clone from plants growing outdoors........ a good cloning gel will help........ although I've gotten good results using a jiffy pucks and 2 liter coke bottle......... don't stress over cloning....... it ain't rocket science.

:yeahthat:

slight overkill IMO
i also never found need for a heating pad (actually when i first started, i tried one and had horrible success rates)

and dang near any old dome will work (i like the supermarket cake ones; a treat and a dome ;) ) not big on venting, opening, or misting myself.
just cut em, dip em in hormone, plant. then under the dome and left alone till rooted.

yes, you can clone off outdoor plants.. just be weary of bringing pests in (might be wise to give em a little spray day or two before)

good luck :)

WooHoo! Cloning is a great skill to learn. Different people have different luck with different mediums and methods--you will need to find your own. Unlike Grower13, I find Jiffy pucks very hard to clone in. Ditto rockwool. I like just sticking the cuts into dirt or rapid rooters--works best for me. Each person has to find the medium and method that works for them.

Can you link the products that you have sitting in your cart and it will help us. I would get the tray thing that you can get with the rapid rooters, not just the RRs themselves. I think the tray has 72 cells. I just cut them apart into smaller units--depending on how many cuts I want to take. Most of them are cut so I have 6 cells.

Like the others, I feel that you will probably not need a heating pad at all. I do use a dome, because it is very arid where I live. But kaotic said, you can use almost anything. And you can take them from outdoors. I would not spray them however--that can be stressful to the plant. I would examine them carefully and sequester them from the other plants until you determine they are pest-free. Where are you going to do your clones?

Cloning is just a great thing to learn and gives you the ability to keep your favorite phenos alive. I am so pleased to see you getting into cloning. And with having outdoor plants, you should have plenty of cuts to experiment with as you are learning.

sorry, to elaborate; i meant to spray the donor plant a few days before taking the cutting off it. just as extra precaution to knock the bugs back *if bringing the plant indoors.
thrips are horrid here ;)

you don't think this is wise eh THG? *i was thinking about doing this myself this season.
usually the outdoors stays out, but i might pop a few new things for indoor, while utilizing the OD space ;)

Hello everyone. This is the product.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-CK64060-House-Heat-Included/dp/B0006VK68E/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1434296647&sr=8-1&keywords=Hydrofarm+CK64060+Hot+House%2C+Heat+Mat+Included[/ame]

I plan to use my 2x4 tent under t5's. Great advice THG. Thanks.

After my clonning dropped from 90% to about 30% recently i decided to go back to my old style of cloning, I found these at a local dollar store, 3 for 2 bucks i think. add soil, wet it good, dip the clone in gel and stick it in the dirt. Close the dome. Im 9 for 9 since going back to my old ways.

View attachment 20150524_113146.jpg

You know, I think I would get something else. You are not going to be cloning 72 at once. Sometimes space is at a real premium. I would get something like this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Rapid-Rooter-plugs/dp/B000I63VSE/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1434308916&sr=1-2&keywords=rapid+rooters[/ame] Cut the cells into sizes you like and use something like kaotic mentioned--cake cakes that come with domes, dollar store containers or something like that for a humidity dome. Or check your dollar store and see if you can find things like Dman found. Get the cloning gel.

Dman, I want some of those. Do they have any kind of brand name on them or anything? If I was sure I could find them, I would drive to a dollar store, but they are a ways away. Just might have to make a run to check them out anyway....

if I had plants outside right now, I hope they would be vegging, if so I'd lightly sandpaper the bark at where I'd cut the clone ..add a scoop of potting mix and some kitchen foil to seal and make a simple poultice, come back in 7-14 days, see the roots sticking out? and snip the clone off, to a prepared bucket, it certainly saves on waiting on luck or immersing yourself in 'retail therapy' for kicks ....lol
household honey has more of the hormones required than clonex etc, dome can be a plastic trash bag, red is best but blue or clear is good, and taping a rapid rooter to the plant stem I've done with great ease before..

good luck

I have tried vostok's mthod before and didn't have it work for me, but if you have outdoor plants, give it a try.....but I would take cuts, too and root them the "old fashioned" way. Try a lot of different methods. There will be some that work better for you than others.

After my clonning dropped from 90% to about 30% recently i decided to go back to my old style of cloning, I found these at a local dollar store, 3 for 2 bucks i think. add soil, wet it good, dip the clone in gel and stick it in the dirt. Close the dome. Im 9 for 9 since going back to my old ways.

View attachment 227520

Thanks Dman. I have 5 or 6 dollar stores within 5 or 6 miles of me. I like those. Cheap and easy.

Thanks for the advise everyone. I appreciate it.

I bought some organic rooting gel at the plant store today. I'm almost ready.

I'll report back with what I get.

I like that smaller one better than the one you originally linked. I think you will too.

I also went to several dollar stores and did not find the cool things D-man found.

I am at my sis's so will gather some willow to make some cloning solution up.

I'm not in Canada or the great USA, but a pinch of common sense indicates,
cut a plastic coke bottle in half and place on top of your 4 inch pot, or a used pantry pottle is just as good .....even free! ...save the planet, can start here?

ps. others more sanctioned than me(lol) wouldn't hesitate to wrap some saran or lunch wrap over the tops ...lol

cut a plastic coke bottle in half and place on top of your 4 inch pot, or a used pantry pottle is just as good .....even free! ...save the planet, can start here?

Thanks vostic, but I drink Pepsi not Coke. lol Thanks for the good idea man.

Thanks for the pic dman. I'll google them.

THG, I read that somewhere in here about the willow trees and making cloning solution. Great idea.

ps. others more sanctioned than me(lol) wouldn't hesitate to wrap some saran or lunch wrap over the tops ...lol

There just convienient, and at 3 for 2 bucks there cheaper than 2L pop bottles, but that wasnt the point.

I use happy frog, red beer cup on bottom, you can find small clear solo's. About .25 the size, one peice of tape and you have a lid! Matches up perfect! Cut and stick at a 45 deg, i like to split as well, but yeah. I dont trim my leaves or anything. Maybe not the best way, but works for me.

Latest posts

Back