useing ph reducer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondlebanese

Reaction score
I'm using "mad farmer"get down ph reducer. I'm adding 3 1/2 tbl sp per gal. to the nute solution that I feed my plants. it brings the ph down to 5.8 when I feed but as the soil drys the ph goes up to 6.5 again.

You should be at 6.4 -6.7 in soil. Hydro you run a drift from 5.7- 6.2. Your gonna lockout.

You should be at 6.4 -6.7 in soil. Hydro you run a drift from 5.7- 6.2. Your gonna lockout.

I think blond is soilless coco Krave like I am........ which requires a hydro ph.

Ahh my bad, yes 5.8 is the sweet spot he is looking for.

i have been using phosphoric acid for a long while, never had issues, maybe it's worth a try. heard of successfully using sulfuric acid but it is harsher more hazardous to deal with, and phosphorous is more useful than sulfur in my fert mix

That seems like a huge amount of pH down to be using per gallon of solution. One of the reviews I read on this product mentioned how concentrated it was--that he needed a very small amount to bring the pH in line.

I do not grow soil with synthetic nutrients, but I believe that the pH of the medium does not matter that much. It is the pH of the solution going in and the run off coming out.

That seems like a huge amount of pH down to be using per gallon of solution. One of the reviews I read on this product mentioned how concentrated it was--that he needed a very small amount to bring the pH in line.

I do not grow soil with synthetic nutrients, but I believe that the pH of the medium does not matter that much. It is the pH of the solution going in and the run off coming out.
so your saying that I should get the reading from the solution that I'm feeding the plant with and not the soil?

are you saying that it's normal for the ph to fluctuate when working with hydroponics?

yes...... the ph in the reservoir will swing from low to high or high to low depending on setup and other variables like nutrients, water, temp, light used. The swing makes all the nutrients available to the plant at some time during the swing.........

so your saying that I should get the reading from the solution that I'm feeding the plant with and not the soil?

yes....... you can also check the ph of the solution after it runs through the soil as run off.

the swing happens with in hours so plants have a short time for nute up-take. interesting. I wonder if plants normally feed all day. if so then my plants are not getting all the nutes they need. they are only getting a couple of hours to soak up nutes.

something not right there, I would definitely try another type of ph-

I agree with Zem--something is wrong if you are getting pH swing like in hours. Like I mentioned, too, that is a huge amount of pH down to be using. Just as an example, I use about a teaspoon per gallon of the GH pH down--at 3-1/2 T per gallon you are using 11 times as much pH down.

Are you letting your water sit out to let the chlorine evaporate out? What nutrients are you using? Do you have a good pH meter and is it calibrated?

I was trying to get the medium down to 5.8. that took 3 1/2 table spoons to accomplish. I now know that it's the water that needs to be at 5.8. that took only 2/3 tea spoons. I fed twice at 3 1/2 tbl sp. that was several days ago. I don't see results yet. sohk

Latest posts

Back