Organics for flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosebud said:
You should have seen my company's face when i told her it was tea. She thought it was for them.

Thanks for the laugh Rosebud! That was hilarious! I can just imagine her expression.

I think the important thing to realize is that brewing compost tea is more about the microbial life then about any nutrient value (brewing specific nutrient teas is a little different imo).

Whether you're brewing a fungi dominant tea (more brown leaf compost) or a bacterial compost (more kitchen by products, green matter), it's all about the beneficials. You're actually better off not using an airstone for teas, larger bubbles won't harm the delicate fungi chains.

Also, consider adding some molasses, seaweed, and fish emulsion to your tea to feed the bacteria that you get out of the compost.

Hope this helps.

Awesome BBf. this is organic kitchen compost with brown leaves as needed and lawn clippings, a little.
I am using a very small pump with a filter that moves the tea just a little. Are you saying I should not have the little pump on?

I always have fish emultion and molasses on hand, no seaweed, shall i go get some kelp? Do you recommended amounts of these in the 5 gallon bucket?
Thanks.. love this stuff.
Can this be too hot? I didn't think it could be.

Thanks I will read more, but would love you guys' input.

You should be aerating most teas. oxygen is your microbes friend ;)
I personally won't ever tea up fish emulsion again...I did not have good results adding that to the mix. Once was enough.

Great info BBfan won't let me give you rep right now.

Rosebud, Bat guano and seabird **** is great in the bucket. esp during flower :D
Build yourself a bathouse with a collection tray at the bottom. ;)

Like BBFan said...lil dab will do ya in the sock...it's all about building colonies of microbeasties. They just thrive off what ever you add convert it to nutrients the plant will use. The plants themselves don't benefit from the nutrient you are putting in the sock. It's the microbeasties that do.

Thanks Mutt, I am thinking of doing it straight from the starter I used and the wonderful compost without adding anything else to see what i have. What do you think of that? Then I will see if it shows up. The tea i was buying was one cup tea to 1 gallon of water. It made the plants look better the next day. Ya think about three days in 80-90 degrees is enough to cook it? Or should I wait longer?

Rose- it shouldn't take more than 24-48 hours to get a good tea brewing. Bacteria will start to die and you may end up with anerobic bacteria. I let fungal teas go longer, but I'd be careful with bacteria dominant teas. If it starts smelling bad, I would avoid using it.

Give them something to eat. It should start foaming up around 24 hours which shows good activity.

Just my thoughts- good luck with it!

Ok, i will test this today. I will use it on some vegies first and see if they turn into something weird, if not, on to the MJ.

Thank you so much you guys. Love this organic's.

Ok, i used 2 cups per gallon. I think the reason that it is so black is from the coffee grounds. We do latte's here at home everyday, so there are lots of organic grounds in there.

I dumped a gallon on half of a hosta plant the has been fighting PM in the deep shade because of the wet weather we have had. I will see if it helps that. Foliar and ground fed. I would provide pictures if you want. I also dumped a half gallon on Jack Herer outside. seemed the right thing to do.:confused2:

BBF, thanks for your help. It is foaming up now. I have another question. If there is a pump in there how would it be anaerobic? What does the coffee grounds make it, fungal or bacterial? Thanks again.

Rose- I think coffee grounds are a good source of nitrogen. Worms love coffee grounds also (and for the record, while coffee is acidic, coffee grounds are actually pretty neutral). I think the bacteria/fungi question has more to do with what you've got in your compost pile in terms of innoculant. Did you add anything (compost "starter", mycho source, etc) or is it what nature has provided? Nature typically will provide what you need, but adding a little extra can move things along a little quicker.

As far as anaerobic vs. aerobic, that's a tougher question, and I'm not sure I know the exact answer, but my experience has been that I have bubbled teas that I let go too long without adding a food source. And even though they continued to bubble, they went anaerobic. I think it has to do with the dying aerobic bacteria. Aerobic must have oxygen to survive, but there are many species of anaerobic bacteria that can grow in the presence of o2, they just don't need it.

The real oxygenation of water doesn't come from the air pump itself, but rather from the atmosphere as the bubbles break the surface tension of the water. So a small aquarium pump is ok for a while, but o2 will not be replenished quick enough as your little friends multiply. You really need to keep it "roiling".

This is my understanding of the process. You are an amazing grower (I've read your journals) and I'm sure you'll be successful with this too! Happy growing! :cool:

something to add or debate... i read that the microbes from the tea digest or break down the nutrients if you add within the last 2 hours of brewing before feeding so that the powder nuts are readily available to the plants. i add volcano bat from e.j.
i throw my ingreidents in loosely. is it better to have in paint filter bag(sock)

EJ's Volcanic Bat Guano 0-8-1 no say where it from. if thats what your asking

about teas, too strong and your plants will suffer 10,000 deaths...dilute it. and watch closely for results for a week.

Latest posts

Back