sealed reflector or cooltube??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
whats do you guys run? I have a hydrofarm hood all sealed up, and i mean sealed up! running 1000w hps, with a 465 cfm blower, in a 4.5 x 4.5 hydrohut habitat. think there would be any benifit to switching to cooltube? anyone personally ran both and notice a difference? which one is cooler?

milehigh said:
whats do you guys run? I have a hydrofarm hood all sealed up, and i mean sealed up! running 1000w hps, with a 465 cfm blower, in a 4.5 x 4.5 hydrohut habitat. think there would be any benifit to switching to cooltube? anyone personally ran both and notice a difference? which one is cooler?

"6 in one hand.. half dozen in the other"
I don't see how it could make any difference, as long as you are pulling sufficient air to cool ..

i didn't think so either.. but my buddy swears he dropped 10 degrees switching to a cool tube. I just wanted some input.. seems maybe a cooltube could run a little cooler due to the straight thru no frills design. but 10 degrees, don't seem practical!

Cool tubes work... No doubt about it. There is a DIY kickin' around here too. Check it out. It sure as hell won't hurt.

I have a large sealed reflector on my 1000W HPS and am really happy with it. I think that being able to run larger volumes of cool air around the bulb helps (however this is just MHO and I could be way off base here). I have several pyrex bake arounds, and did construct a DIY cool tube, but was nervous about the bulb being just slightly smaller than the pyrex tube.

I converted a verticle parabolic reflector into a horizontal mount, then enlarged the hole in the top and mounted a 6" inline fan with duct on top of it for air extraction. My room is 8x8x4...yeah..4' high, I use a 1000 w hps and, as long as i keep the ambient room temp low..65-68..i can maintain a cool 82 degrees at 12" away from the bulb...and my little LST'd plants love it...other than fighting back problems...and feeling like Bilbo Effing Baggins in the room..it works great :) I'll post some pics sometime.

Smoke on....

Latest posts

Back