heart palpitations - should I stop smoking????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been smoking for about 10 years within the last year or so, whenever I smoked I started feeling my heart racing and it would last for about 20 minutes. The racing was actually a result of my pulse taking off. This last sunday I smoked around 10PM and my pulse was racing until the next day. I went to my family doctor he did an EKG and my heart valves were not squeezing all the way, they were fluttering and he called it atrial fibrillation and if it lasts for more then 48 hours It would lead to a stroke. My pulse was also over 115 (normal is between 60-90) He gave me a prescription for Toprol XL that slows my heart beat down and it took until the next day for my heart to finally slow down. He also said to see a cardiologist.

I saw the cardiologist on Thursday (4 days later) and everything is now normal (I have also stopped smoking). It seems all the speeding of the pulse finally lead to the atrial fibrillation. He suggested I stop smoking and have to take an aspirin every day until they do a sonogram of my heart to make sure everything is ok.

Hi! I've seen 2 cardiologists and many doctors and all of them have said there is absolutely nothing wrong with my heart and that I'm in great health. But I get palpitations and I quit smoking for that same reason. I was told it was probably ectopic heartbeats I was feeling because you are very aware of them if you have it. When I would smoke it would happen within 10 minutes and I was always afraid I'd have a heart attack. Of course that causes panic and just makes it worse lol. I've stopped drinking coffee as well because it really affects the palpitations then. I've noticed if I'm stressed or anything they happen more often than not. A couple weeks ago my husband's parents were coming to visit and the day before I felt them every few minutes and it even prevented me from going to sleep that night. I didnt think I was anxious or nervous but my body was obviously telling me otherwise. I have smoked a couple tokes here and there since and it hasn't been so bad but because I already have anxiety issues I have not started smoking again. And I used to smoke A LOT. I'm sad that I don't anymore and miss it everyday!!

Anxiety can cause palpitations. I have them sometimes if i smoke weed that is a strong Sativa. I smoke mostly Hybrids and Indicas now and very seldom have them. Besides lots of things can cause them ,,,Chocolate and even Bananas.

Latest posts

Back