first time veg garden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShOrTbUs

Reaction score
individual containers: (p)
raised bed: (b)

corn (p)
broccoli (p)
bell peppers (p)
tomatoes (p)
cauliflower (p)
celery (b)
lettuce (b)
cucumbers (b)
carrots (b)
strawberries (?)

what size pots would you recommend for the plants going in individual containers?

i have my raised bed layed out the way i want. but how deep do i want it?

and i'm uncertain if i should put the strawberries in containers or in the bed.

use 5 gallon pots or bigger for the tomatoes and bell peppers........ I think you need at least 24 inches of soil for the carrots........ cucumbers take up a lot of space in a raised bed........ try a hanging bucket or a trellis for them......... stawberries will do well in the raised bed.......I'm to far south to do lettuce, broccoli,celery and cauliflower........ I think your return on investment doing corn is not worth growing it in a small garden........ if you do grow it would be better to put it in the raised bed.

What kind of tomatoes are you growing? Do you want to grow determinate or indeterminate tomatoes?

Raised beds should be 24 inches deep for a good root zone. I think you better put your corn in the bed...not the pot. The strawberrys do well in both. You get more if they can spread out and let their babies roots hit dirt as in a bed. And they will be there next year.

The bigger pot the better for most things. This will be fun to watch, take pictures and enjoy this wonderful food coming your way. I have seen your pot plants, you will do just fine with veggies. Veggie Mojo!

yeah, corn in bed.
i also prefer cucumbers in pots (keep in mind they like moist soil too)
my tomato's go in ground here, and get massive (i feel like i actually have a greenthumb with them ;) )
peppers, i always fail miserably on.. dunno why. i get like 2 small peppers a plant :(
i prefer strawberries in pots (big wide pots) too.. they'll (usually) overwinter and come back for you, plus they can take over a garden.

good luck, have fun shorty.. marijuana growing got me hooked on veggie growing too. love summer time now, as i go to the garden and decide what's for dinner (well the side ;) ) and have come to realize much like our home grown smoke, you just can't beat homegrown taste.

:)

I do great with 12" raised beds, even with things like tomatoes. I do a kind of modified square foot gardening and plant a whole bunch of stuff in raised beds and containers. When looking for root veggies like radishes and carrots, I look for shorter squatter varieties. I put things like cucumbers and zucchini in the corners so they can cascade over the raised bed. I also start things like greens and radishes every 2 weeks or so. That way you have fresh salads all season long and the raised beds don't get too overcrowded as you are always picking things.

How large are your beds? I would love to see how you have them laid out. Are you familiar with companion planting?

Like kaotik, marijuana growing got me hooked on veggie (and flower) growing. You may also find that you have another passion.

I might have some old pics of my raised beds on my other computer--I'll have to check. It really exceeded my expectations of what raised beds can do.

Raised beds should be 24 inches deep for a good root zone. I think you better put your corn in the bed...not the pot. The strawberrys do well in both. You get more if they can spread out and let their babies roots hit dirt as in a bed. And they will be there next year.

The bigger pot the better for most things. This will be fun to watch, take pictures and enjoy this wonderful food coming your way. I have seen your pot plants, you will do just fine with veggies. Veggie Mojo!

thanks rose, and i'll be sure to post pics.

What kind of tomatoes are you growing? Do you want to grow determinate or indeterminate tomatoes?

there just the basic beefsteak tomatoes from burpee. i didn't want to get too technical with heirlooms and specialty varieties. gotta get my basic's down first. and i have no idea whether they are determinate or indeterminate. or what that means lol.

yeah, corn in bed.
i also prefer cucumbers in pots (keep in mind they like moist soil too)
my tomato's go in ground here, and get massive (i feel like i actually have a greenthumb with them ;) )
peppers, i always fail miserably on.. dunno why. i get like 2 small peppers a plant :(
i prefer strawberries in pots (big wide pots) too.. they'll (usually) overwinter and come back for you, plus they can take over a garden.

good luck, have fun shorty.. marijuana growing got me hooked on veggie growing too. love summer time now, as i go to the garden and decide what's for dinner (well the side ;) ) and have come to realize much like our home grown smoke, you just can't beat homegrown taste.

:)

gotta love that homegrown. :48:

I do great with 12" raised beds, even with things like tomatoes. I do a kind of modified square foot gardening and plant a whole bunch of stuff in raised beds and containers. When looking for root veggies like radishes and carrots, I look for shorter squatter varieties. I put things like cucumbers and zucchini in the corners so they can cascade over the raised bed. I also start things like greens and radishes every 2 weeks or so. That way you have fresh salads all season long and the raised beds don't get too overcrowded as you are always picking things.

How large are your beds? I would love to see how you have them laid out. Are you familiar with companion planting?

Like kaotik, marijuana growing got me hooked on veggie (and flower) growing. You may also find that you have another passion.

I might have some old pics of my raised beds on my other computer--I'll have to check. It really exceeded my expectations of what raised beds can do.

yeah i wanna do flowers as well, i figured i'd keep it smaller at first. i already have a plan in place for next year to double maybe even triple my space.

i built a 10x10 greenhouse. so i have 100sqft to work with.

thanks for the reply's everyone this was extremely helpful

Good luck and green mojo. I will be growing Jalapenos, Onions, Garlic and hopefully my Peach Tree comes back leaf curl free this year. Been a pain in the butt getting rid of that. Gave her a good treatment in Early Fall, hope it works. I also have a grape vine and strawberries that refuse to go away. I grew them about 5 years ago and they still grow wildly now. I wish I had the room to do corn...I am jealous.

nice hammy. yeah i put the 10x10 greenhouse at my parents place. if all goes accodingly and i feel like i can take on more. i'm going to add a 10x20 to the mix next year

Latest posts

Back