Satori Comparison Grow - Organic vs. Soilless/Synthetic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below are pics taken tonight. I watered/fed them last night, and wanted to give them 24 hours to grow before I took pics.

I placed each plant with its "best side" forward. The AN plant is in the center. And as you can see, it's starting to pull away from the organic plants in terms of leaf size and bushiness. Yet about 12 days ago, it lagged significantly behind the organic plants while I was slowly ramping up its nute strength.

Don't get me wrong. The organic plants are fine plants. They're doing great. But the AN plant has taken the lead.

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=229575&stc=1&d=1440283722

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=229576&stc=1&d=1440283722

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

Day 42 Update

Below is a pic taken last night.

The AN plant is on the left. It has bigger leaves and bushier growth than the organic plants. But the organic plants are doing very well.

After taking the pic, I transplanted each of them into 5-gallon, tan-colored Smart Pots. And each plant had a very thick and healthy root structure.

Of course, I transplanted the ProMixHP-AN plant into ProMix HP soilless mix. And fed with ASN nutes.

I transplanted the organic plants into a mixture of 35% Roots Organic and 65% Super Soil (mixed by me according to the recipe given in a previous post).

They have a bit of droop after transplant. I'll post a pic when they perk up.

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=229701&stc=1&d=1440642593

View attachment 001.jpg

Day 46 Update

Below are pics taken tonight. In the first pic, the AN plant is on the bottom. In the second pic, it's on the left. And it's still significantly bigger and bushier than the organic plants. Although the organic plants are doing fine in their own right.

I hope AN blows organics away. Not because I dislike organics; I've grown organically with good success for many years. But I'm tired of mixing my own soil, carrying heavy bags and pots, and dealing with the resultant back and neck pain.

But if AN doesn't distinguish itself in this grow, then I'll stick with organic growing, because I'll never go back to ph'ing anything. I'll absolutely never own a ph meter again.

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=229800&stc=1&d=1440884186

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=229801&stc=1&d=1440884186

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

What a great journal. Thank you, very nice read.

This is a fun test. I am an organic grower too. I have 2 composters that i can turn to mix. I too couldn't turn compost any longer with a pitchfork. I love my little composters and now I have a wagon.. as we get older we have to compensate huh. I don't haul many pots now days, the are pulled on a cart or on the wagon.

THG, always says she can't tell any difference in taste from organic's to synthetics.. I wonder if you will. Some dispensary pot makes me cough some doesn't. I don't know if that has to do with chemical residue or not..
I will be staying tuned.

This is a fun test. I am an organic grower too. I have 2 composters that i can turn to mix. I too couldn't turn compost any longer with a pitchfork. I love my little composters and now I have a wagon.. as we get older we have to compensate huh. I don't haul many pots now days, the are pulled on a cart or on the wagon.

THG, always says she can't tell any difference in taste from organic's to synthetics.. I wonder if you will. Some dispensary pot makes me cough some doesn't. I don't know if that has to do with chemical residue or not..
I will be staying tuned.

Thank you.

I've grown Sugar Punch in soilless with DynaGro nutes, and couldn't detect much taste difference between it and the Sugar Punch I grew organically.

However, AN makes a product called "Flawless Finish" (aka Final Phase) that's supposed to eliminate any chemical taste. It's supposed to be used several times at the end of flowering, to aid in flushing I guess. I'm not going to use it this grow on my AN plant, but I'll use it next grow and see if I can tell any difference in taste.

I will be staying tuned.

I have noticed this when I smoke with my friends. One of my best friends seems to have pretty good bud, but it usually makes me cough. I always just figured that it didn't have a cure on it, but I really am not sure what makes some harsh to me and some not.

I am loving this side by side grow of one of my favorites.

Truth be told my pot makes me cough, some strains. so there ya go... Still looking forward to this lovely journal.

The older i gets the more Weed makes me cough. Lol

Dropping to 18/6 will not slow their growth--it will make them stretch. You might want to do something like fim or top them. It will slow the growth a bit while they recover and you will have more tops.

While the AN plant is ahead of the others, they are all impressive.

Dropping to 18/6 will not slow their growth--it will make them stretch. You might want to do something like fim or top them. It will slow the growth a bit while they recover and you will have more tops.

While the AN plant is ahead of the others, they are all impressive.

Thanks. I'll FIM them tomorrow.

Day 53 Update

I FIM'ed the plants tonight. Hopefully their growth rate will slow, because my flowering room is unavailable (full) for two more weeks.

I took pics of the bottom of the Smart Pots, to show the difference in the roots of an organic plant vs. the AN plant. The pics are below. The first is the organic plant, and the 2nd is the AN plant.

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=230029&stc=1&d=1441581010

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=230030&stc=1&d=1441581010

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

this is interesting. I was thinking of making a super soil but decided to try DWC so I too will be watching.:vap-leafy_wave:

I think it's to keep the nodes tighter. Well that's the difference I've noticed vs topping traditionally. Also the plants bounce back quicker. Mabey it's not as traumatic too? I dunno but when a pal showed me how to do it I switched and haven't topped since .

When you fim, you just take off about 1/2 of the growing tip--usually only about 1/2 to 3/4". This usually results in 4 new tops growing. With topping, you take more of the top part of the plant and make the cut on the stem. Topping usually results in 2 new tops growing.

Latest posts

Back