Ants!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehab is for Quitters

Reaction score
I went out to my grow room this morning and there are ANTS everywhere! I vacuumed them up and put out some traps, but can they cause any harm to my plants?

I have a divided grow room: veg on one side and flower on the other....and for some reason the ants were ONLY on the flower side (even tho there is only a simple partition dividing the closet which they could easily go across). Any reason they would only be on the flower side of the closet? (those bastards better not be carrying my bud back to the queen)

Also, I tried to use the search feature to see if 'ants' had come up before, but kept getting an error message about the server being busy...

I haven't heard of ants and marijuana in the same sentence before. :confused2: Been curing the munchies in your grow room or something? ;)

Do you see where they're headed? Usually if there's lots of them, it's because they found some food.

Do you use molasses/corn sugar?

just found this
Ants
Ants are small insects from the family Formicidae. They are usually wingless except during mating season. Ants are colony pests, are well known for their cooperativeness and industriousness and can destroy cannabis plants quickly. Ants eat cannabis leaves and carry portions of the plant back to the colony for food storage and construction. Ants are easy to spot because of their size, speed of movement and numbers. Along with leaf discoloration an ant-attacked plant may exhibit bite marks on the edges of the leaves. Ants also farm aphids, another type of pest that growers will want to eradicate. Ants can be removed using boric acid or any popular colony killer pesticide

hope you sort it out :48:

*i have no idea if this info is correct..
but someone told me just the other day, that ants like aphids (i think it was?) as they secreet some type of sweet sugerlike substance.
maybe check to see if you have any other guests.
(like i say, i don't know how correct this info is, but thought i'd share.)

mothball mothball mothball mothball
veg tomato ant killer powder found in farm stores, greenhouse stores
anything that relate to tomato as treatment and kill bugs is safe for weed

hope that will helps. bugs hates me cuz I do keep em away with what I gots

King Bud said:
I haven't heard of ants and marijuana in the same sentence before. :confused2: Been curing the munchies in your grow room or something? ;)

Do you see where they're headed? Usually if there's lots of them, it's because they found some food.

Do you use molasses/corn sugar?

Nope I haven't been hitting the chips, cookies or icecream in the grow room :D.

The ants are sort of weird. They aren't in a long line like I've seen them before, but are sort of milling about randomly. I live in an arid climate so I think they might be looking for water. I USED to use mollasses, but haven't used it for months....but it's possible that a little mollasses residue got left behind and they've found it. That would actually make sense since they are only in the flower room (I only use mollasses for flower). I think I'll try to take everything out and clean it thoroughly.

melissa said:
just found this
Ants
Ants are small insects from the family Formicidae. They are usually wingless except during mating season. Ants are colony pests, are well known for their cooperativeness and industriousness and can destroy cannabis plants quickly. Ants eat cannabis leaves and carry portions of the plant back to the colony for food storage and construction. Ants are easy to spot because of their size, speed of movement and numbers. Along with leaf discoloration an ant-attacked plant may exhibit bite marks on the edges of the leaves. Ants also farm aphids, another type of pest that growers will want to eradicate. Ants can be removed using boric acid or any popular colony killer pesticide

hope you sort it out :48:

Hmmm, that's interesting. I have heard that ants farmed aphids, but didn't think of it (guess I've been smoking too much dope). I'll definitely check for aphids and spray them if necessary. Thanks for the advice!

If they're like the ones that always plague my place they come inside for water. They make ant poison traps with liquid inside that has been the only type that works against them. Its a little semicircle with liquid inside, they go in, take the water into body, and take back to nest, share water, infect infect infect. I used to get them on a monthly/ semi weekly basis and have not had a single ant problem in 5 months since I put these traps out. Safe for kids, animals and I assume plants since the poison is self contained and can't get out unless you really mess with it.

Latest posts

Back