Where does everyone get their 5 gal. buckets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imager777

Reaction score
I have a few. Some are from laundry detergent I used to get from Sams Club, and a few from some construction workers that were using them to move dirt (Old paint containers.) Now we have liquid detergent with a smaller easy despense nozzel. I'd really like to get a few more for my plants. These things are the best grow containers I've found and they'll take my plants through a whole grow cycle with no root problems. It's not important enough for me to go out and actually purchase them from a manufacturer; or even buy multiple gallons of paint/detergent just to empty out and grow a plant in. It is important enough to find other sources of these miracle grow containers (Pun not originally intended.) So, if anyone knows of anywhere to get five gallon containers besides detergent and paint; I'm all ears. I already checked the construction sites around here.

I buy the 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot and drill holes for drainage. They are sturdy, durable, have a handle for easy moving, and only cost like 3 bucks a piece.

Sweet!! I didn't realize they carried just the empty containers. I can splurge a ten spot on some good planters. I'm going to figure out how this "thanking" thing works on the forum, and thank you.

Oh, and thanks!

I use 3 gal buckets from B&Q, £1 each.

pothead said:
Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware.

Better to use square buckets than round because square you can put them right next to each other without losing valuable grow space.

Thats a good idea, I never thought of that, cheers.... :)

The only thing is, with a round bucket the stem is always an equal distance from the edge of the container, so all roots have an equal amount of area to branch out to. With a square bucket, the corners are farther from the middle than the sides.

IllusionalFate said:
The only thing is, with a round bucket the stem is always an equal distance from the edge of the container, so all roots have an equal amount of area to branch out to. With a square bucket, the corners are farther from the middle than the sides.

Highly doubt that the roots will bunch up in the corners. Also, the medium absorbs water and releases it when the pump is off so all of the roots are getting plenty of water and air. Good point though.

pothead said:
Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware.

Better to use square buckets than round because square you can put them right next to each other without losing valuable grow space.
square containers are not only more effecient with floor space, but contain more volume. More volume = more root space. More root space = bigger plants. Bigger plants = more yeild ... ;)

Check fast food joints for buckets. When my buddy xhanges oil in his loader, backhoe and dump truck, he gives me 5-6 buckets every time. Clean 'em up w/ gasoline, then soap/bleach water.

You can get them at most Walmarts, Home Depot, Lowes and Menards. Average price $5.

Most hardware stores will also carry them. I usually buy them from small hardware stores and they are really cheap. I would go with the square ones also. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

The New Girl said:
If your buckets are round it's easier to turn them if they are close to each other, just a thought :p

In my entire growing career, I've never had a problem with turning my square buckets.

Easy to turn or not, square buckets are better :p...

Not to totally shut down your statement...:D

Might try a bakery-I use them for brewing beer too, and thats where I get.If what was in the bucket is safe for human consumption, it does'nt have to be cleaned up so much-gas is expensive!!
Gb

Hick said:
square containers are not only more effecient with floor space, but contain more volume. More volume = more root space. More root space = bigger plants. Bigger plants = more yeild ... ;)

Check fast food joints for buckets. When my buddy xhanges oil in his loader, backhoe and dump truck, he gives me 5-6 buckets every time. Clean 'em up w/ gasoline, then soap/bleach water.
I thought 5 gallons was 5 gallons regardless of the shape of the container?

finding black 5gallon bucket is the hard part

Why would you want them to be black?

Oh, and I've never heard of Menards before. I'll assume it's a store that's not local to me. There's a Lowes and Home Depot around here though. I've never seen square 5 gallon buckets before, but I'll get them if they're available. Sometime after my next big harvest, I'll start replacing obsolete planters with fresh new five gallon jobbies :)

Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I'd have never realized I could just go to the local hardware store for these things otherwise. It's strange that I've never seen them at any of these places before. It's probably just that I wasn't specifically looking for them.

IllusionalFate said:
I thought 5 gallons was 5 gallons regardless of the shape of the container?
Where did I say 5 gallons?..;)
I don't know 'what' their liquid capacity is.

imager.. black will absorb and transfr more heat to your rootzone.(they may over heat outdoors) Most of mine are white, a few blue. As long as they are "opaque" you should be good.

I always buy white buckets and then wrap them in panda film white side out, I get the buckets from a painter that cleans them for me.

Latest posts

Back