Massproducer's Coco buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
youll have 2 tame that beast when she stretches. plant will easily double in height! if use milk jug make sure 2 make it so light cant penetrate 2 root zone. healthy plants like @ least 1g of soil to 1 foot of plant. keep in mind if lst is used to think of how tall shed b if left 2 grow natural.

:ciao: massman and Docfish...been haveing a lot of server busy the last few weeks. Harvested the top Cola that was 16 inches long and 4 inches round:yay: the rest I am takeing this weekend..Trichs on top cola @ about 30% Amber..Sorry no scale here..but from previous Harvests of this PLant " Frosting" Your coco bucket Did me GOOD docfish.... its your feeding schedule that I ran this in..thanks buddy;) and now my other one is PurpleBud from seedsman..this is a clone from a female I have harvested this same time..and are very simular..and is why I chose to cross them:hubba: Thanks again Guys..will update on the Purple bucket:rofl: as she grows..shes just hittting res and i turn to flower on 4/20..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

oh and to the person asking about drip pans..i use all sorts as you can see..I also say dump anything left in pan next day..it smells awefull:giggle:

055.JPG

056.JPG

058.JPG

054.JPG

045.JPG

nice 4u! make sure 2 get pics up @ chop. what nutes u useing? f.f.? last "?" i promise. can u plz give details how u have purple buck layered (mixing ratio & ammendments)? gotta know im fiending on a grow so im gunna live vicariously in ur grow.

Should a clone be vegged for a while before going into a 3 gallon bucket?
I've got clones in 16oz cups right now and was going to put most of them in soil and save one to try in a coco bucket. I'm thinking my coco bucket will have a 2" res of perlite and then be mainly coco up top with a little perlite. Normally in soil, I go from the 16oz cup to a 1 gallon grow bag, and then on to a 3 gallon bag after vegging for a month or so. Would it be better to transfer my coco-bucket clone to a 1 gallon bag of coco for a little while and then put her in the 3 gallon bucket or just go straight for the bigger bucket and water daily? The clone is around 5 inches tall atm and well rooted.
Any help greatly appreciated if anyone is still following this thread:farm:

go straight 2 bucket. its going to take the better part of a week for those roots 2 hit res but you will know when shes there. one other tip if u do it this way, water with plain water & flood res until roots get in there then fert. this way ur not wasting ferts & is a good way 2 figuring howmuch water res holds. r u going to use coir or pith? i opted pith cause retains water a lil better. what ferts r u useing? sorry 4 all da ?'s. need anything just holler.

go straight 2 bucket. its going to take the better part of a week for those roots 2 hit res but you will know when shes there. one other tip if u do it this way, water with plain water & flood res until roots get in there then fert. this way ur not wasting ferts & is a good way 2 figuring howmuch water res holds. r u going to use coir or pith? i opted pith cause retains water a lil better. what ferts r u useing? sorry 4 all da ?'s. need anything just holler.

DFW, i'm not trying to step on your toes, but i wouldn't be so quick to recommend that people should fert amended coco. In *most* (not all) cases, this is a sure fire way to nuteburn/overferting. When you have amended coco and add flowering teas, etc...it is a bit too much. Now i can say that giving EWC teas every watering would be ok, but IMHO giving flowering teas isn't going to give you a good result.

solarz

solarz said:
DFW, i'm not trying to step on your toes, but i wouldn't be so quick to recommend that people should fert amended coco. In *most* (not all) cases, this is a sure fire way to nuteburn/overferting. When you have amended coco and add flowering teas, etc...it is a bit too much. Now i can say that giving EWC teas every watering would be ok, but IMHO giving flowering teas isn't going to give you a good result.

solarz

solarz, dr manny was talking of perlite & coco, no ammendments. ive done 2 coco grows one documented here & one done w/ no documentation on any site. both those grows ive ammended my coco in layers as stated in this thread & given organic teas @ 100% strength. oh & by the way they were both white strains. whit strains are more sensitive to nutes than any other strains. i dont have any probs w/ burn. thats the beauty of coco it naturally buffers & releases nutes as plant needs. also stated 2 manny was 2 feed plain water til he knows that roots are in res which lets plant acclimate to new home. have you even done a full run w/ these coco buckets? if so what were ur probs? b/c this is the easiest & most productive way of growing. once u dial in youll pull more than dwc.

take care

DFW

docfishwrinkle said:
Thanks for the responses :)

I will be using Canna Coco, which I think is coir... doesn't really say on the bag. I was gonna try out the Canna Coco nutes too, but I've still got gallons of FoxFarm stuff so I'm gonna try that out for my test run. And DFW is right, I will be using just straight ferts, no amendments to the coco/perlite.
Strain is Peak's Skunkberry, which is pretty nutrient tolerant in my limited experience so I should be able to push the limits with this test run and see where it gets me. I'm getting around 1 1/4- 1/1/2 pounds from 10 girls under 2 600's in Ocean Forest right now, I would ideally like to up the yield a bit and lower my number of plants. I'm also hoping to cut my veg time down a bit also.
DFW- When you say flood the resevoir the first week or so til the roots hit it, I'm thinking you mean water the bejeezus out of it until it's basically flushed and is all clean/new water? That would take care of any stagnation right? I will be watering daily until I see that growth spurt I've been reading about.
I'm transplanting tomorrow morning so I will update this as I progress.
Thanks again :farm:

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
Thanks for the responses :)

I will be using Canna Coco, which I think is coir... doesn't really say on the bag. I was gonna try out the Canna Coco nutes too, but I've still got gallons of FoxFarm stuff so I'm gonna try that out for my test run. And DFW is right, I will be using just straight ferts, no amendments to the coco/perlite.
Strain is Peak's Skunkberry, which is pretty nutrient tolerant in my limited experience so I should be able to push the limits with this test run and see where it gets me. I'm getting around 1 1/4- 1/1/2 pounds from 10 girls under 2 600's in Ocean Forest right now, I would ideally like to up the yield a bit and lower my number of plants. I'm also hoping to cut my veg time down a bit also.
DFW- When you say flood the resevoir the first week or so til the roots hit it, I'm thinking you mean water the bejeezus out of it until it's basically flushed and is all clean/new water? That would take care of any stagnation right? I will be watering daily until I see that growth spurt I've been reading about.
I'm transplanting tomorrow morning so I will update this as I progress.
Thanks again :farm:

yes manny canna is coir & fox farm nutes did me well in 1st run. i used f.f. mix w/ organic tea ingredients & brewed 1-2 days while being aerated fed this once a week then plain water other days. i was useing pith where you have coir so you will have to water everyday. which is a bonus cause ur getting that unintentional flush. my bubblelicious ended up being able to take 125% recommended f.f. feedings! dont know if was a total waste of nutes but was fun to see. back to ur inquiries. flood res yes to prevent stag water. yes when u c spurt get on feeding schedule. also if ur growing these girls au natural then i recommend flippin @ that time also. plants easily double. glad 2 c u are thinking about giving a run. if i may ask could you run a plain coir bucket & a layered for comparison. if u do im sure you wouldnt b sorry:hubba: . if not @ least keep us updated w/ pics.

thx & GL

DFW

docfishwrinkle said:
solarz, dr manny was talking of perlite & coco, no ammendments. ive done 2 coco grows one documented here & one done w/ no documentation on any site. both those grows ive ammended my coco in layers as stated in this thread & given organic teas @ 100% strength. oh & by the way they were both white strains. whit strains are more sensitive to nutes than any other strains. i dont have any probs w/ burn. thats the beauty of coco it naturally buffers & releases nutes as plant needs. also stated 2 manny was 2 feed plain water til he knows that roots are in res which lets plant acclimate to new home. have you even done a full run w/ these coco buckets? if so what were ur probs? b/c this is the easiest & most productive way of growing. once u dial in youll pull more than dwc.

take care

DFW

Wooaaahhhh...DFW,
you seem to be on the defense/attack. I clearly stated i wasn't trying to step on your toes, nor anyone else's. I never even mentioned anything about this style of growing, and to answer your question, yes i have completed an entire run with these buckets (several in fact..have a few going as i type). Check back a couple of pages...my problems were documented there. I spoke with MassP directly about the issues i had, and i also shared with him my solution to those issues. So please, don't come at me as if i'm speaking from no experience. Do you not remember, i was right there with you when YOU first learned of this method. So i don't need any insight into how easy this method of growing is.

Like i was trying to get across before, i wouldn't be quick to tell a new grower to this method, to use teas on amended soil. The reason i say this is because everyone uses different amendments at different levels...so adding the tea may be totally uneeded. I'm sorry if i misread your post the the person, but that is still no reason to give such a sharp response. I'm not here to disprove anyone...only to help. Sorry if my original post came of as any way other than that.

solarz

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
Should a clone be vegged for a while before going into a 3 gallon bucket?
I've got clones in 16oz cups right now and was going to put most of them in soil and save one to try in a coco bucket. I'm thinking my coco bucket will have a 2" res of perlite and then be mainly coco up top with a little perlite. Normally in soil, I go from the 16oz cup to a 1 gallon grow bag, and then on to a 3 gallon bag after vegging for a month or so. Would it be better to transfer my coco-bucket clone to a 1 gallon bag of coco for a little while and then put her in the 3 gallon bucket or just go straight for the bigger bucket and water daily? The clone is around 5 inches tall atm and well rooted.
Any help greatly appreciated if anyone is still following this thread:farm:

Just to clarify, this is where my confusion came. I just assumed that he was talking about a MassP coco bucket, because it was being discussed in this thread. Again...my apologies for misreading the posts.

solarz

docfishwrinkle said:
if i may ask could you run a plain coir bucket & a layered for comparison. if u do im sure you wouldnt b sorry:hubba:
Sounds like it would be fun if I had more time and space. If I veg this bucket for 1-2 weeks and then put it in my flowering area, it's going to be there with 10 others that will be around week 6 of flower and are around 50" tall. So it's going to get a little crowded under my lights this time around ;) I will be re-building and rearranging my room after this cycle so I will have mucho space next time tho :hubba:

Am I really going to have to water everyday even after the roots hit the resevoir?

Thanks again

after the roots hit the rez (beleive me, you'll know when they do) you don't have to water everyday. You can go every other day...or whatever you need to do, but it doesn't HAVE to be everyday. But my *MY* experience running these buckets...i had better growth/yeild when i treated the coco bucket like hydro instead of soil. I'm saying that to say...that i watered everyday and had better results from the same strains in the same conditions.

Manny, how exactly are you planing on feeding the plants? What nutes are you going to be using?

solarz

massproducer said:
The one thing I forgot to talk about is the feeding schedule.

I feed my plants about every 2-3 days with either an organic tea or 800 - 1000 ppm of advanced nutrients Monkey Juice. I also always add a tablespoon of blackstrap. Because of the microbial and fungal life within the coco it is a good idea to use dechlorinated water for all feedings.

Every 3rd watering is just blackstrap and water, to flush any excess salts.

The goal with feeding is to keep the rez pretty much full all the time, so that the plants can eat constantly while still recieving crazy amounts of dissolved oxygen from the medium.

This is the point in my system of using pure perlite in the rez area, the perlite will create tiny air pockets, while still wicking the water back up into the medium where the specialized roots are feeding and the beneficals are doing there thing. With an organic medium you do not want the medium to dry out too much because some beneficals need moisture to survive and most need it to thrive. But with this system it is almost impossible to overwater your plants, because of both the bucket design, and the perlite and coco.

In the first week while the roots are trying to reach the rez you will want to feed everyday, after the roots hit the rez you can back off to every 2-3 days. You will know that the roots have hit the rez beecause there will be an explosion of growth almost overnight, it truly is amazing.

Man...this is The Holy Grail of MJ growing. Many thanks for sharing this.
Im wondering...can the Hempy be combined with the SOG? And if so, couldnt containers like plastic kitty litter boxes (2' X 1.5' X 9"? say, two rows of four plants? More? Less?

I feel compelled to try...LOL! After reading about the tremendous root growth, how deep would the containers need to be? Is 9-10 inches deep enough for a SOG??

Lass

solarz said:
after the roots hit the rez (beleive me, you'll know when they do) you don't have to water everyday. You can go every other day...or whatever you need to do, but it doesn't HAVE to be everyday. But my *MY* experience running these buckets...i had better growth/yeild when i treated the coco bucket like hydro instead of soil. I'm saying that to say...that i watered everyday and had better results from the same strains in the same conditions.

Manny, how exactly are you planing on feeding the plants? What nutes are you going to be using?

solarz

I will go by what Docfishwrinkle said and just use water until I think the roots have hit the res and then use FF nutes somewhat according to hydro schedule I'm thinking. The only amendments I made to the coco was about 1 cup perlite/per gallon and I added Subculture B, + M. Sounds like I will be watering more now :farm:

edit- I forgot to add that I also use Liquid Karma and Cal/Mag also. These 2 and the FF trio at a balance of around 1000ppm.

hello DMB..go with what DOc is saying I ran a few of these as well now..sorry no Harvest pics Doc..had them but server busy I gave up trying..I didnt start useing my FF nutes until Flower..and then use Docs feeding schedual some pages back..I have great results with these buckets..the hardest thing for me was mixing the layers correctly..after you get the mixxes down..its a cake walk. Good luck and stick close to this thread..lots of great help here..take care and be safe:ciao:

So I transplanted a clone Saturday morning into my coco-bucket and watered until the res was leaking a little water. Tonight (Monday) the coco is still very wet at the top even with a fan moving air across it. From the looks of things I still won't need to water for a few days...
Did I misunderstand and water too much from the start? Usually after transplanting into soil I would just water enough to soak the roots but not necessarily the entire bag of soil. I kinda thought the coco would dry out a little faster than it has, maybe it's wicking from the resevoir? I have an extra clone and coco if I messed this one up, and could start a new bucket if need be. The clone is showing nice new growth, but I'm wondering if the roots aren't staying too wet. I feel like I should flush out the resevoir but I'm afraid to re-soak the coco. Any ideas?

hello my friend..you cant over water with these buckets..and I wouldnt flush the res..what i do see is you only need to water a cup of water evry day untill the roots hit the res...then water just until it comes out res hole..and I would go with Docs feeding and watering schedual..untill you get the handle on the amendments..when I started useing Docfish schedual my plants started exploading in better looking growth..ill go back and look for the post..I printed it and put on my wall for quik reff..good luck..any pics of these beautys?

4u2sm0ke said:
hello my friend..you cant over water with these buckets..and I wouldnt flush the res..what i do see is you only need to water a cup of water evry day untill the roots hit the res...then water just until it comes out res hole..and I would go with Docs feeding and watering schedual..untill you get the handle on the amendments..when I started useing Docfish schedual my plants started exploading in better looking growth..ill go back and look for the post..I printed it and put on my wall for quik reff..good luck..any pics of these beautys?

Thanks 4U, no pics yet. Maybe this weekend when I have a little time.
I just planted the spare clone I had in a new bucket and I'm gonna scrap the other one. It's been 4 days and the coco is still very wet. No biggie, lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back