Massproducer's Coco buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well see for me I am an organic gardener, so mold to me is a wonderful thing, and is one of the great things about coco, Coco is full of microbes and beneficals, so trying to fight against them is basically going to be an endless battle that you will never win. The mold in coco will not harm your plants, they actually feed off of the coco itself.

so what would you think about adapting this to an outdoor grow? would it be possible to set it up so it would be very lil maintenance? lets say i got a whole dug. it is mostly clay for soil. the whole is roughly 2ft by 3ft. just over 2 ft deep. this hole is very near a stream, and the bottom of said hole is very rocky with a bit of water that was hit. what/how much additives do you think i could put in to make it less maintenance? available i'v got my perilite/coco mix, perilite, mushroom compost, blood/bone meal, some coffe grounds cookn', fish emulsion, peat humus, some organic garden soil, and some pelletized limestone. and some rock availbe for the bottom of whole.
how much of the limestone would you add? i'm sure i could throw some egg shells in instead/also. what' ya think?

Just a couple of shots

DSCF1999.JPG

DSCF2000.JPG

DSCF2001.JPG

DSCF2002.JPG

DSCF2003.JPG

DSCF2004.JPG

DSCF2005.JPG

DSCF2006.JPG

These plants are just starting to bud, they range from 5 1/2 feet to a bit over 6 feet and are in 3-5 gallon coco buckets. So far all are very healthy, losing only a couple of fan leaves due to N and Mg, which has always been a problem at around week 3 of flowering, even before coco. It is not a problem at all, just a natural part of the aging process.

Hi Massproducer & all...

Killer grow scene you've got going... & this is some very valuable info to take in. Thanks so much for sharing... I'm only recently back into our beloved hobby after a several year hiatus so I'm currently getting my sea legs back with a nice organic soil grow. I'm only trying to grow enough meds for myself so I'm just looking for great methods to the best product. Your approach is fascinating and groundbreaking with your use of organics and beneficials in the hydro arena. I have grown a lot in the past with a Coco/Hydroton mixture when coco was relatively new indoor gardening but there have been some major developments in Coco since then and it sounds like you're on the cutting edge. After a few soil grows are under my belt I think I'll do a run inspired by your brilliant work... Thanks again for all the contributions and may all your yields be dank!

Happy Growing!:cool:

dam mass, impressive as always. what size tent r u useing to house those beasts? looks very crowded. oh yeah the strain is....? so are you ammending soil & useing tea? sorry 4 all the questions, but im outta the game for now.

It is actually not a tent, it is about an 8 x 4 closet, it just has the panda film covering the spot where the door is to eliminate any light leaks, it is more croweded then I would usually like things but I am doing a mother run right now so I had to veg them for about 5 weeks, but it is more then managable, thats why they call me the massman, lol...

Right now I have some BC kush, BC mango and some MS-17, which is Health Canada's official strain.

I am basically running my usual set up, I am adding a bit more kelp now as I like its microbial activity and its conditioning effects/mineral content but other then that just the usual guano/kelp/ casting teas, and of course our buddy Mr. Blackstrap. I have also been adding more bees pollen to both my medium and my teas.

Good to hear from ya Doc, hope to see ya around, and hope things take a turn for the better for ya. The future is only as bright as we make it.

This is somewhat of a difficult question for me to answer because I have never grown with this method outside. One big thing is that you have to look at these buckets just like you would look at any type of hydro set up. What that means is maintenance. There is just no way around that. These buckets require more time then an average soil grown garden because they grow sooo dang fast. My plants drink close to a gallon of water everyday during flowering, and you can not let coco dry out like you can with soil or it will mess with the cation exchange.

You may be better suited to go with soil outside unless you can care for the plants everyday.

Cannabiscotti said:
so what would you think about adapting this to an outdoor grow? would it be possible to set it up so it would be very lil maintenance? lets say i got a whole dug. it is mostly clay for soil. the whole is roughly 2ft by 3ft. just over 2 ft deep. this hole is very near a stream, and the bottom of said hole is very rocky with a bit of water that was hit. what/how much additives do you think i could put in to make it less maintenance? available i'v got my perilite/coco mix, perilite, mushroom compost, blood/bone meal, some coffe grounds cookn', fish emulsion, peat humus, some organic garden soil, and some pelletized limestone. and some rock availbe for the bottom of whole.
how much of the limestone would you add? i'm sure i could throw some egg shells in instead/also. what' ya think?

hello massman...your closet looks great as allways. Thanks for shareing with us..Hope things are doing well 4U:D..sorry aint been on much..had a career change and needed to foccus on that..as you know i grow in the fall in a shed due to heat issues i dont run in summer and am a week or two from end season..flipped the whole shed to 12/12 on 4/20..andyway I felt that my peuplebud bucket didnt look to well due to mites and the cold to hot..so i went ahead and placed outside with my others for the summer to see how it does..was meening to ask ya about the buckets outside and see that you have yet to do them..My question is....Is this 4-5 gallon container large enough to make threw a summer grow? I know you like to put into flower after roots hit res..and i have been covering the top when it rains..maybe i should leave off ..last summer in my container grow she got way to much water..but with these i know you cant over water..whats yer thaughts? she is laying over to the side because in end April we had heavy rains and winds..knocked her over..so i put in a support stake #5 rebar and used some styrafoam to support the stalk from the edge of the container..I have her behind my scrog and PurpleBud i have in the ground..so far the bucket is doing well outside IMO..i live in Seattle and believe we start flower eng Aug begining Sept..IDK..lol..and am looking forward to running this massbucket again next fall..i am loving the coco..i have even found that my clones after rooting in my massproducing bubble cloner:lama: ( thanks again for that one)..and placeing straight in 4 inch pots of coco started growth faster..not sure on facts..but will work more on that next fall..I live near the ocean and the kelp comes easy..i throw in outside garden...how can i prep this stuff for these buckets? I use a granual from box in my ammendments..wonder if the fresh stuff would be better? I know should rinse maybe suzz of salts..well now im rambling..cuzz im excited and high as hell..lol..anyway just thaught i would share and ask a few questions..

the pics are not in order..but the date stamp is correct..

Thanks for being here my friend..take care and be safe:ciao:

005.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

014.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

070.JPG

186.JPG

massproducer said:
This is somewhat of a difficult question for me to answer because I have never grown with this method outside. One big thing is that you have to look at these buckets just like you would look at any type of hydro set up. What that means is maintenance. There is just no way around that. These buckets require more time then an average soil grown garden because they grow sooo dang fast. My plants drink close to a gallon of water everyday during flowering, and you can not let coco dry out like you can with soil or it will mess with the cation exchange.

You may be better suited to go with soil outside unless you can care for the plants everyday.

well, i used a variation. bottom layer is rocks.
then a layer of perelite, then the dreaded MG organic garden soil (i put it at the bottom so the plants are a lil older when they get to it.) mixed with coco. a few egg shells and a bit of pelletized lime. didn't see dolomite where i was at-so i know it'll take some time to work.
then i used a bit of manure type soil i found at wally world.--but decided i didn't like it so much, so i only used a bit. added to that some more coco and some peat humus and perelite with a dash of bone and blood meal and mixed it up.
and from there up i used up the rest of my coco, perelite, peat humus, and 3 bags of mushroom compost. and i mixed some coffee grains in. saved some to use when i transplant to the location.

I plan on hitting that with my compost tea and let it fester for a few days before i transplant. I know i'm late on the game for outdoor, but screwed up my first indoor crop--so i started some more and i'm gonna put the 5 survivors outside in a lil patch and see what happens.

whe i dug the hole i hit water and rock at the bottome of it.(bout 18 inches) so i'm hopin with all that perlite and coco it should be able to stay reletively moist. and yes, it did really suck carrying all that out to the plantsite.

just throwing up an update massman..she is doing very well I think...I just dont know if she will make it to finish in that container..hopw everything is well in your garden..take care and be safe

003.JPG

028.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

050.JPG

051.JPG

052.JPG

053.JPG

054.JPG

055.JPG

056.JPG

dam 4u! shes doubled in 9 days easy! all that sun that seattles getting now a days is spoiling her. hear its been above average w/ the sun there. put ur umbrellas away & get the sun screen. anyhow take it sleezy.

:yeahthat:

Geez Louise... my 130,000 lumens can't compete with THAT type of growth in 9 days! I'm interested in what Mass thinks about container size with coco... Very nice plant and it looks like it's really banging on all cylinders 4u2... You, your girl and mother nature are in harmony... She'll soon be rivaling your hedges!

Peace!:cool:

Nope not anymore; they are too advanced for me LOL but they really do work well. I am growing in soil again. I am doing a mandala run: Mandala #1, 8 Mile High and Speed Queen; also some Mazar from gypsy nirvana ;) How is everyone doing? Plants look great.

:ciao: GSS...ive heard a lot of that speed queen..is it an auto? i too am mainly a soil grower and run this 1 bcket..I like it..but does seem to be more work mixing the amendments..ive screwed those up a lot..lol..but i think i got this cat liter bucket neasures down..we will see next fall..this purplebud i have outside..i am wondering if she will make the distance..or maybe shoulda used a larger container for outside..maybe a 40gal garbage can:rofl: anyway Im high as hell right now..so I better go watch my ladies..Glad to see ya again GSS..take care and be safe my friend:bolt::bong::watchplant:

Anyway to post an exact break down of the mix you use.

I got the general idea, I just dont want to burn out my plants adding to much coffee or something in the wrong layer.

What about doing just a straight up coco/perlite bucket, basically constructed the same way, but with weekly low level feeding?

I use the organic humboldt like now with 100% promix bx without amending the soil with anything but beneficial microbe mix from my local hydro shop.

sure you can do it. im running straight coco only w/ toms outside & give teas only & theyre booming. layer amendments in which the plant needs em & add teas & watch out! dont let coco dry out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back