Massproducer's Coco buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4u grew a 5g bucket outside. did ok. needed a trash can. i think od grows would do better in a good "worked" soil then coco. did a experiment w/ toms in garden & one in a keg cooler w/ coco. garden soil was amended organically for 7 yrs. coco was amended w/ blood, bone, kelp meals, azomite, myco, bacillius, & guanos. both were feed teas. brewed 55g @ a time for 2-3 days w/ organics & molasses whole season twice a week.

about your tea leaf. id def grind it to coffee grounds consistancy b4 amending. helping it break down faster for plants. might want try drying it then chopping it in a micro processor. if you start getting into organics they will become a friend real fast. good for pulverizing dolo also.

ill try & find pics of my toms. garden one had vines that stretched good 10'. softball size fruits. coco did ok, vines were around 6'. junior sized softball. did you notice u posted 420.

docfishwrinkle said:
4u grew a 5g bucket outside. did ok. needed a trash can. i think od grows would do better in a good "worked" soil then coco. did a experiment w/ toms in garden & one in a keg cooler w/ coco. garden soil was amended organically for 7 yrs. coco was amended w/ blood, bone, kelp meals, azomite, myco, bacillius, & guanos. both were feed teas. brewed 55g @ a time for 2-3 days w/ organics & molasses whole season twice a week.

about your tea leaf. id def grind it to coffee grounds consistancy b4 amending. helping it break down faster for plants. might want try drying it then chopping it in a micro processor. if you start getting into organics they will become a friend real fast. good for pulverizing dolo also.

ill try & find pics of my toms. garden one had vines that stretched good 10'. softball size fruits. coco did ok, vines were around 6'. junior sized softball. did you notice u posted 420.

thanks doc.plan on getting tea leaves as small as possible.lime is very fine.felt good about it,but wanted advice.you jumping in is beautiful.thanks.massproducer has given you way beyond mad props is why i asked here.you both rock.thanks,one love.

will be posting now if i can figure it out?

fc when attaching pics hit attachment manager & make sure ur pics r resized w/in specs found in attachment manager. the pic manager can only be found in post reply & not in quick reply. direct links are frowned upon by mods here so in http replace tt w/ xx. they say it jepordizes safety, but everyother forum im on lets you & havent seen any ill results. whatever rules r rules.

thats one way of posting em i guess. if you hit tab on bottom left of a post-says "post reply" hit this. then look @ bottom of text window & there is a link to resize & post pics. hope this helps.

id probably move your scrubber to outside perimeter of plants so you can get the light down lower to plants & it also is going to block lumens from getting to your pants.

Just a small question.. could you mix in ashes from burned wood in the the lower levels? I've heard it should have excellent PK ratios for flowering.. Unsure on the levels though.. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I heard it might also create some PH problems, but maybe this could be solved by adding ph down?

you could but in small amounts. ph will be effected so maybe go lighter on the dolomite. not sure on amounts always been leary about it. its npk is 0-1-3 on average. if you can afford to donate 1 plant to science then i would. substitute dolo w/ ash & see. ill see if i can dig something up on amounts. good question risky.

did some digging & found 1g of ash to sq meter. so figure depth @ 6" for average garden soil. should be more, i like 10" deep in garden....anyhow back to topic. 9sq ft x .5 ft deep=4.5cu ft. so 1/2g to 2.25cuft, 1/4g to 1.125 cu soil. id add 4cups to 1cu ft of soil. roughly 6 gal of soil to 1 cu ft of soil. i hope you could do 1 plant w/ ash & no dolo & rest of them as you normally do w/ dolo. be interesting to see. keep us posted.

Please explain how you would self drip this system. Also does the bucket need to be in small plastic pool to take run off? If so do you leave the water in the pool or take it out? Suggestions Please!!!

admiral of the black said:
Please explain how you would self drip this system. Also does the bucket need to be in small plastic pool to take run off? If so do you leave the water in the pool or take it out? Suggestions Please!!!

You want to remove any standing water you might have.
I use variations of these buckets and also soil potted plants, and have them in a 3x5 metal tray. The tray has a hose/drain on one side and is jacked up a bit on the other side so runoff runs to the drain and out into a bucket.

I did the same thing as mass did, sort of. I put the hole in the bucket 2" up, but I put 3" of perlite (the hydroton sized perlite) in the bucket, then a regular 25% perlite and 75% coco mixture for the rest of the bucket. using coco a/b every third watering and having no problems. one plant is over 1/2 pound. Well it will be as I am in the 7 week of a 12 week cycle. I kept one coco pot in an 8 liter flower pot and it is the puniest of all. So coco in hempy style bucket is better. I have true hempys (25% vermiculite and 75% perlite) going now in veg just to see if it's different then coco in hempy style. still using coco a/b.

huffypuffy said:
I did the same thing as mass did, sort of. I put the hole in the bucket 2" up, but I put 3" of perlite (the hydroton sized perlite) in the bucket, then a regular 25% perlite and 75% coco mixture for the rest of the bucket. using coco a/b every third watering and having no problems. one plant is over 1/2 pound. Well it will be as I am in the 7 week of a 12 week cycle. I kept one coco pot in an 8 liter flower pot and it is the puniest of all. So coco in hempy style bucket is better. I have true hempys (25% vermiculite and 75% perlite) going now in veg just to see if it's different then coco in hempy style. still using coco a/b.

Good info huffypuffy. Personally, i think this system is as easy as it gets considering it's basically a manual hydro system and just about fool proof.

I grow in coco professional no perlite as coco had great drainage I use Cocos a and b and super thr
ive feed them 3 times a day start of 3ml fisrt then 10ml till flowering then 20ml of a + b super thrive then introducE canna boost then 3 weeks into flower ill use pk 13/14. Untilled the last 12 days and then pure water my room. Temp is 25.7 humidty. 65% that's just without. Ventilation.

I grow in coco professional no perlite as coco had great drainage I use Cocos a and b and super thr
ive feed them 3 times a day start of 3ml fisrt then 10ml till flowering then 20ml of a + b super thrive then introducE canna boost then 3 weeks into flower ill use pk 13/14. Untilled the last 12 days and then pure water my room. Temp is 25.7 humidty. 65% that's just without. Ventilation.

Ooh. Year old thread bump, but I had questions.

I'm a firm believer of the KISS method of doing things.....but this is TOO simple to be true.

So. It's a bucket w/ a hole...then layers of stuff & water / nutes?

Would 3 or 5 gallons be best? (I have both)(also...my room is only 6 foot high, so will I need the extra 2 gallons of root space?)

Are you saying that w/ the Coco that pH is "not that important"? I only ask because I do have high pH hard water (about 330ppm from the tap & 8ish pH)(well water)

Anyways. I just put my coffee grounds in a bowl while I await answers :)

(ooh. Also. How late is "too late" to add clones? I have two that are about 4-5 inches now & one that is about 7)

I dunno NewGen: I've wondered about that too.

Just an update. I did two buckets (the 3 gallon kitty litter buckets). I filled up to the hole w/ hydroton. The rest I used perlite. I had my doubts this was going to work, but it is : )

707NewGenGrower said:
wont the standing water at bottom eventually cause root rot?

No...the hole in the bottom allows for water to escape..So when ya water/feed...it arrates the water in the bottom...hence rfreshes the water;) I even used an air stone and pump in one..but didnt add any bennefit i could see...I also tried the drip..but again no real diffrance...

oldtyme....congrats on the start up...I too used the kitty bucket...How did you ammend your layer's? and throw up some pics of ya girls when ya get a chance...I would love to see them..untill then take care and be safe

I just used hydroton up too the drain hole........the rest is perlite.

I read other places that they only used perlite throughout the entire bucket.....I figured with the hydroton I wouldn't have to worry about the perlite coming out of the hole.
I might try something else next time if others think I should layer it like the original post.
I liked that they were started in 4 inch rockwool cubes as I know they were getting water (after transplant) & I could tell when they were needing it. I've been using GH Flora 3 part nutes.

Anyways. Here's a picture. Do they look OK? I know they are a LOT bigger than when I planted a couple weeks ago. (ignore that other dirty plant over there...lol. That's me trying to learn LST : )

(FYI: The bucket plants are AK48 (so I'm told)(AK48 is supposed to be more indica, but those leaves are SO narrow I'm starting to wonder)

IMG_0024 (Medium).JPG

look nice my friend...ALlthough the coco is in the mix...the reason for massproducer to make the layers as he stated...was to create the Earth like structure..will be interesting to see how yours Turn out as Ive never seen MJ growing in straight perlite...But lets not get this thread sidetracked By another Hempy style eh? :48:

old tyme, 1st off howdy & second what you have now are hempy buckets. how often are you watering? im not real sure but i believe you're gunna want to water them 3x's a day. look into threads by artvanolay, he uses gh 3 part w/ em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back