Marijuana chopped by Indiana State Police copter crew

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
From a few plants hidden in a backyard garden to hundreds of them disguised inside a cornfield, Indiana State Police Trooper Kim Wall uncovers all sorts of marijuana growing operations from her seat aboard the department's Bell 206B helicopter.

Flying across Southwestern Indiana at speeds up to 80 mph and at an altitude generally below 1,000 feet, Wall and pilot Sgt. Andy Clark scour the land below for the illegal plants.

The outdoor growing season will draw to a close in the coming weeks, but Wall said efforts this year already have uncovered an estimated 400 marijuana plants — valued at about $1,000 apiece — cultivated in Vanderburgh, Warrick, Gibson, Pike and Knox counties.

The job — which also takes Wall up in Cessna planes when the helicopter works in other districts — requires a lot of surveying from high above while distinguishing one form of vegetation from another.

But it doesn't end there. Once a marijuana patch is spotted, Wall and Clark land — often in the suspect's yard or a neighboring plot.

If he's there, the pair will confront the suspect, ask about the marijuana and may make an arrest before seizing the plants. Wall said suspects in such situations usually are surprised the police came down from the sky.

But it's the only way authorities can keep track of marijuana growing in backyards, side gardens, farm fields and other hidden-from-view areas.

"People just don't really think those are the places we look," Wall said. "Well, we look everywhere. When you're in the air, there is no place that is safe."

Wall has been leading the marijuana eradication team in the Southwestern Indiana district for nearly a decade — a period that has included countless large- and small-scale busts and arrests.

The job is rewarding, Wall said, because she believes marijuana is a gateway drug, the first step toward serious drug abuse. When the helicopter takes off with a cargo of marijuana plants — it can hold up to 500 pounds — Wall said it's gratifying to know those drugs are coming off the street.

"My satisfaction comes from maybe I've gotten that out of the hands of someone who hasn't gotten into drugs yet," she said.

Clark, who is in his 21st year in the state police air section and recorded his 2,500th hour piloting the helicopter Friday, said there are other perks to the job.

One is the chance to get behind the wheel of the copter: "Flying is fun," he said with a smile. "There's no two ways about that."

But another motivator is knowing the work not only gets drugs off the street, but it can support police work. The drugs themselves are destroyed, but Clark said other evidence or property from offenders often is seized as part of plea agreements.

The money then makes its way back to authorities.

"A lot of the things you see on this aircraft were purchased by the bad guys," Clark said recently, shortly after landing at the post with a handful of marijuana plants found in Warrick County. "They were purchased by the dope growers so we can go out and find more dope growers. Isn't that kind of neat?"

So far this year, the biggest bust locally has been a plot of about 200 plants in Gibson County. Several years back, Clark said, he helped uncover 5,000 plants in eastern Indiana.

One of the most memorable cases locally happened in Posey County two years ago, Wall said. She and Clark spotted a man parked in a field, apparently cultivating marijuana planted there.

The helicopter landed in the roadway, blocking him in, and Wall arrested him at gunpoint as he tried to get away.

"There can be (excitement)," Wall said. "But the excitement is short-lived."

That's because once the arrest is made, there's substantial paperwork to be filled out and filed. And the plants have to be uprooted, stored in the helicopter and taken to another location to be destroyed — usually that same day.

That brings Wall to one of the most frequently asked questions she gets from people curious about her work.

Yes, they burn it. No, they don't enjoy it or derive any sort of hallucinogenic effect from the fumes.

"We don't sit around and sing 'Kumbaya' when we burn it," she said with a laugh. "I dump enough diesel fuel on there that that's about the only thing you smell — diesel fuel ... it's not a pleasant thing to do. It doesn't smell good."

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3ztsud

I am surprised they use there names so cavalierly. I would imagine there are many people that don't like them so much.

Damn, I was in a good mood until I read this. I just cannot fathom how they can smile while seizing the property of an otherwise law-abiding citizen.

they do it because they think they may get a bounus or something...

all the gateway drug stuff is baloney...

they do it because its the fastest way for them to look good and hopefully make some extra money. period.

most of them (cops) smoke pot anyway.

ive known 2 cops neither which i thought highly of & they bought from same dealer i did when i was in h.s. why do they always make false state
ments 'bout mj like "don't enjoy it or derive any sort of hallucinogenic effect from the fumes." effin a i want the **** that makes me trip. anybody out there have any?

Has anybody heard of the 10-2 corridor? This is supposedlythe best time of day,10am-2pm, that pot shows its color on the radar. It blends in during the cooler parts of the day.
Food for thought eh?

why? i mean thats cool but what causes it , the position of the sun or something?

Dang guys, rounded up all my stuff and came in to read some more and ran across this... now the paranoia sets in... :eek:
How do you guys feel about heat signitures and how to deal with it?
I had in mind of using an metal storeage building i have out back... cleaned all the junk out, was gonna wrap it with foil back foam insulation panels and foil tape "on the inside" teehee. AC, 4 ballast and bulbs, fans..., in the middle of the backyard... makes for a bright spot eh? Think i have the smell part licked but WEEESH Im like seein' a huge Beacon... :eek: :holysheep: ....
I dont see much on this subject or ive over looked it...

TTYL
fodmod16

Bukshot911 said:
why? i mean thats cool but what causes it , the position of the sun or something?

All vegitation give off heat as they utiliize nutrients. Each one has a specific signiture, some hotter/cooler than others. So happens ole Marryjane has an heat sig that stands out above all the others, when in full prodution of nutrients+sunshine... takes um a while to wake up. from being stoned the night b4 i supposed... heh... anyway there exists an electronic device that can see the heat produced, and has been correlated that they cant see it until around 10am and then peaks around 2pm when all the plants in the area are the same signiture from all the heat piling up...
Anyway that was the sory i got.. made sense. sounded good... i have actually seen with my own eye's a device to detect heat in electrical panels and conduits... 3 ft under ground... i was shocked...:eek:

i hope that explains it!
fodmod16

i thought that as of 1999 they couldnt use infa red to locate grows.
i think i remember reading about it in high times.

I had 6 this year in the same spot right behind my house on my property and the pot choppers flew by several times and didn't see a thing. Its all a publicity stunt when they say things like that.

godspeedsuckah said:
I had 6 this year in the same spot right behind my house on my property and the pot choppers flew by several times and didn't see a thing. Its all a publicity stunt when they say things like that.

i feel the same way. i mean bout all the high tech stuff they use and do testing etc just to catch a bad guy... yeah it all probly does exist and does and can has an will happen now an then but under certain circumstances, for instance if they get a informant sayin "hey i know where 300 plants are growin" now thats a pretty dang huge ordeal in some areas of the U.S. liek here if someone found a grow outdoors even the size i've had all year. man o man just the way it is round here wit crime an media an wat i've seen an herd, this would be a huge deal. i bet if someone liek myself got popped here for wat i doin they'd act like i was some big drug czar or somethin and get all crazy. nothin real extreme ever happens round here. hence prolly why they dont go to way out lengths to go out spendin thousands if not millions of tax dollars to just bust some MJ growin some where. even out govt here is poor LOL. JMO
so unless ya in an area that is known for MJ grow op's i'd say u really aint got much to worry bout in that aspect but then u gotta worry more bout loose lips an stuff like that more.

I'm a Hoosier, and I've always heard growing MJ in the cornfields is a BAD idea! - The green contrasts against the yellow/tan corn and makes it easy to spot from above...Kinda stupid of some folks.:eek:

FizGig said:
I'm a Hoosier, and I've always heard growing MJ in the cornfields is a BAD idea! - The green contrasts against the yellow/tan corn and makes it easy to spot from above...Kinda stupid of some folks.:eek:

probably just a thing that MJ growers use to go by back in the 70's or so when they didnt really have to worry much of MJ crops as to have to warrant flying around all day just lookin for a needle in a haystack. and just people carry on that knowledge til this day without keepin in mind that times have changed as well as technology etc... JMO

I have no doubts that they can find them but I feel the plants they don't find FAR OUTNUMBER the plant's they do. It's pretty easy to find something that is obviously right out in the open. I agree too, corn fields are not a good idea.

Don't believe everything you hear. Cornfields are problematic if you open the plants up. If you keep the corn tight to the plants they don't stand out much at all. You will lose some yield by not opening them up, but they still produce very attractive buds. Better to have many that produce less than none.

The best advice I could give is to pay attention. I had a bunch of stuff typed out for you guys , but if I tell you in a public forum it kinda wrecks it. Pay attention! All facets.

i bet they are steping up efforts cuz they sell the **** to canda for profit.

Latest posts

Back