light question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaboy88

stays blunted up
Reaction score
so i read for veg cycle the plant needs to b givin about 65,000 lumens annd for flower about 105,000 lumens..

first question: are hps lights best for just flowering or both flowering and vegitative becuz i have read about ppl switching from flouros and cfls to hps after veg..

second question: i dont have an hps light yet but i was jus wondering on the heat output.. how hot can it make the grow room.

and last but not least any1 have suggestions on either 400 wt hps or 600wt hps being better for the plant.. i kno 600 has more lumens but i didnt kno if it would b safer goin with mayb two 400hps??

flaboy88 said:
so i read for veg cycle the plant needs to b givin about 65,000 lumens annd for flower about 105,000 lumens..

Where did ya hear that? The amount of lumens depends on the size of your grow room.

HPS works great all the way thru, some people save some money and use floro bulbs in vegg.

Once you tell us the size of your grow room the other questions can be answered.

i guess it was some1 who was talkin about there grow room.. so i thought mayb that was standard.. im new to this.. but i jus check and its about 8 ft tall and about 5 ft 6 by 5 ft

you need 3000lumens per sq.foot in veg and 5000lumens per sq.ft in flower

second question: i dont have an hps light yet but i was jus wondering on the heat output.. how hot can it make the grow room.

You won't believe how hot an HID will make a space. You will definitely need to ventilate your light/lights.

any1 have suggestions on either 400 wt hps or 600wt hps being better for the plant

Of course the 600 will put out more light, but, supposedly, 600's are more efficient than 400's or 1000's. I can't swear to this as all I've ever run are 600's. That said, your space is about 27.5 square feet. You're gonna need between 30 an 50 watts per square foot. That's at least 800 watts, which will bring with it heat issues. There's great advice in the Grow Room Set-Up forum here for your venting and heat problems.

Good luck--you're doing it right in asking before investing. Peace.

so if im looking at 3-5000 lumens then would gettin an 400 or 600 hps b a bad idea? is that to many lumens for the plant to handle?

flaboy88 said:
i guess it was some1 who was talkin about there grow room.. so i thought mayb that was standard.. im new to this.. but i jus check and its about 8 ft tall and about 5 ft 6 by 5 ft

For ideal lighting for that space I would go 1000 watts HPS
600 HPS minimum

A 400 watt averages 50,000 lumens and a 600 watt averages 87000 Lumens take this # and divide by your square footage
50,000/27.5 (your ft2)=1818 lumens/ft2 not enough light
87,000/27.5=3165 lumens/ft2 enough for vegging not enough for tight bud. Bud will grow but be airy.
150,000/27.5=5454 lumens/ft2 this means a 1000 watt light is the best for the area you plan to use.

You will need ventalation for the area no matter what

when u say ventilation wut would u suggest the best way to do so? cuz i got a fan goin and i also keep the closet door crackd constantly.. is that not enough?

IMO no you need a fresh air intake and exuast out of the room. The better the air flow the better the plants grow.
1 fan blowing into the area, 1 fan blowing out of the area, and 1 fan circulating the air in the area. with a area this size doubling up on fans can be the only way to keep the temps in the mid 70's for the best growing.

awesome.. untill i can get the good proper supplies i need im bout to double up on fans.. lol.. i got 1 baby who started flowering way to early but she is beautiful.. she may not harvest hardly anythin but she is gorgeous and its my first 1.. i want to say that she is more sativa and i have another thats vegging and a couple weeks old but has big beautiful leaf sets (more indica) and im doin some LST on her to see if it works out good but im tryin to get this whole process down nd good so i can reap my benefits..thats y i keep askin questions and learnin new stuff on here.. thanks bro

Latest posts

Back