Rockwool cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you 4U2Smoke for keeping up on this while I was away.

I have found that if the ambiant air temp of wherever you cut the clones is greater then 85 degrees or so, new cuts tend to wilt. Or, if humidity is low.

But alas, some cuts will just wilt. There are some anti-wilt sprays on the market, as to which I have never seen them really help, but they do have it.
Your best bet is to let them rock. They will either snap back, or wither out. Don't toss them till they die completly.

As far as actual humidity percent in the dome, man great question. Sorry my friend, I do not have a good answer. I judge mine mainly from sight. If my Dome has alot of condensation, I will simply remove the dome for a bit.
Some domes have vents that you can open/close to control this also.

4u2Smoke, I will get some pics today. They did root and I have already taken a few to thier new home. But there are quite a few left, so I will get some pics. I lost 4 out of 72. Not too bad.

took 18 clones today just the way you are showing in 1 inch cubes..Thanks NorCal...

my main pots are 11 ltr wich will have clay balls as the medium ,which size rockwool blocks do you suggest i need from cloning too the main pots ? cheers

i jus took a few clones off my sour diesel i was wondering how long shud i leave the lights on i got them on 24 hrs rite now

Clones use 24 hour light and the key is the heat mat took about 50 clones and all survived and grew roots in 7-10 days then put them in drip system when showed roots. Very nice

great mate.thanks.
how many litre is your pot of the mom ?
and 1'' rockwool is enough for cuttings ?

4U2Smoke....did everything work out ok?

Srry for not checking up on this guys. Seems the questions have been answered.

Charles..1" works great for me, tho I do have some partners who are tryin' out 4x4x4 cubes and stickin' 6 cuts per cube.

NorCalHal, thanks for the schooling. i need as much as i can get b/c im getting ready to do my first clone out of necessity. this is very similar how Todd McCormick explaines in his book. have you ever tried peeling the skin off the bottom 1/4" of the stem then soak for a few min. before putting them into your medium.

SSH

has anyone tried cloning in peat pellets my clones keep dying I think I had the temp wrong so I fixed that. I do have about 50 % of clones alive from my first try but they seem to be growing real slow. second round all 12 died yesterday took 6 more so far so good. I think I might have been over watering too I was spraying them 4 times a day.

NorCalHal said:
Thanks for looking 4u2smoke!

My domes do have vents on top. 2 vents. I actually leave them half open from the start., then, if condensation gets too much in the dome, I will open the vents all the way.
I will keep the domes on no longer then a week or so. As soon as I see a few roots out of a cube or so, say about 20% of the clones, I will remove the dome completley.

As soon as they are all rooted, I pick the winners and the go into 4" rockwool cubes under a T5 to veg.

Hey, NCH - they were rooted in 1 inch cubes - how do they then go into 4 inch cubes? Do you remove the 1 inch?? Great thread, NCH!

I have tried this method, and I have to say very successful. Thank You

Thanks to NCH and everyone else that helps,

This is my predicament...
So my mother kush plant died the other day, because of my stupid mistake (forgot to fill the dwc res.) I only got to take 2 cuttings the day before on the 5/20 and I am very nervous about their well being. If they dont root I have start from seed with some bagseed and that sucks.

They look like theyre doing alright. no roots blasting out of the rooter plugs yet but they're are not falling over or anything.

I have had a decent success rate with clones in the past, its just lack of a backup plan if these dont take root that bothers me.

Here's my question i guess...
Yesterday I noticed some yellowing on the bottom most fan leaf on one of the clones. It starts at the very tip. My thinking is that this is a good sign. Im thinking that the energy that was stored in that leave is being used for something, growing roots? Is my theory off base?

I have them under a 13w CFL.

I did check the plugs to see if they had roots blasting out but there wasn't. Added water today for the first time and the plugs were admittedly dry. I moistened them up and added water to the tray. From what i read in ur post, letting the rock wool or rooter plug get somewhat dry is not the worst thing that can happen, true?

Also I used a powder rooting hormone and I am using a light hygrozyme dose in the water.

Thanks and sorry for the long message,

-Reality

Hey norcalhal, Question for ya. I use your method with great success 100%. How long after the roots show do you wait to put them in soil? Thanks

Jman; it's personal preference.. some poeple think waiting longer will make them grow faster and be less succeptable to stress.. others prefer to plant right away so light dosn't bother the new roots sticking out.
personally i plant them first sign of roots breaking the medium.

Reality; yes yellow (usually) is a good sign, and you should be seeing roots shortly.

thayne said:
has anyone tried cloning in peat pellets my clones keep dying I think I had the temp wrong so I fixed that. I do have about 50 % of clones alive from my first try but they seem to be growing real slow. second round all 12 died yesterday took 6 more so far so good. I think I might have been over watering too I was spraying them 4 times a day.
if they're dying, you're doing too much.
i had the same problem at first. was using a dome and spraying them.. now i don't. i don't even use my humidy dome, just clone and leave in the open (give them water if they're getting too dry, but you don't want them wet, wont root if it's wet)
been doing great now.

NorCalHal said:
Charles..1" works great for me, tho I do have some partners who are tryin' out 4x4x4 cubes and stickin' 6 cuts per cube.

Im about to try the 6 pack method like they do at blue sky. i like the 1.5" cubes because they fit nicely into the 4" cubes, but its sometimes too hot in the growroom and the small cubes dry out and wilt really fast. keeping the 4" cubes on the heatmat until roots are blasting thru the 4" cubes will hopefully cause less stress when they transplanted to the T5. Also I can start larger (6") clones in my aero cloner then put them in 4" cubes when I see root bumps

Hey kaotic, I spray and keep my humidity up with a dome, and my clones look just like the day I took them. Except with roots now!!!! So as long as you don't over do it with the spraying.... It will work either way successfully.Mine have rooted in 6 to seven days both times I tried. With 100% success rate. Keep in mind I only took 10 clones the first run and 12 the second..

Jman said:
Hey kaotic, I spray and keep my humidity up with a dome, and my clones look just like the day I took them. Except with roots now!!!! So as long as you don't over do it with the spraying.... It will work either way successfully.Mine have rooted in 6 to seven days both times I tried. With 100% success rate. Keep in mind I only took 10 clones the first run and 12 the second..
oh yeah m8, stick with what's working for you.. i wasn't suggesting to not use one (i know i'm actually in the minority here) just was showing buddy how i do very little with success.

Latest posts

Back