Almost 8 wks in flower -- How do they look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dada

Reaction score
These are three plants in a bubbler system. On Sunday (4/29) they will enter the 8th week of flower. Vegged these for a bit more than six weeks. The final pic is of them just before they went into flower.

For orientation, in the group photos, the plant toward the left and toward the front is a Northern Light X Big Bud from Nirvana. The plant toward the middle and to the back right is a White Widow and the one in the front right is another WW -- both from Nirvana.

You'll notice a couple of light-burned leaves on the right -- that's from growing into my supplemental 42 watt CFLs. There are a couple of leaves on the front plant that are shriveled from dropping nute solution on them. Also, NLXBB have spots on them from when I misted them with nutes and epsom salts early on in flower. I stopped doing that... All the leaf tips have a bit of a burn from about a month ago. Hope I didn't upset them too much with all of these problems, but the end result looks pretty good.

Pic 1 & 6 are different views of the largest WW colas. They are about 16 1/2" tall. (One looks taller, but isn't -- it just starts further up on the stem.) There are other large buds further down the stem, but I don't know if these will fill in or stay separate by the time these get the chop. (Shhh... They are in the cab only a few feet away from me -- I don't want them to know I am thinking about that...)

None of these plants were topped, but they have multiple stems. I vegged them under about a dozen CFLs from 30 to 42 watts and the nodes ended up growing almost one on top of the other. They were only 3/16" apart. This has resulted in a very dense canopy and some pretty nice buds. All of the WW buds are very tight and when I push on them, they feel weighty. Some folks have said these WW sometimes go to 9 weeks and they really pack on weight and girth in weeks 8 and 9. I don't know if that is true, but I guess I'll find out. The trichs are just starting to turn cloudy now, with lots of clear ones remaining. But the trichs are everywhere. The WW don't look particularly frosty, but they sure are full of resin. When you look at them close up, many of the leaves look like they are wet. Something my crappy camera can't quite capture, unfortunately...

The NLXBB has lots of buds and they are very frosty. The buds are not nearly as dense as the WW, though. Again, some folks have said that these plants often take 9 weeks and the buds should start to tighten up soon. Don't know about that, but we'll see. I'll harvest these three plants when I have about 35% amber. I don't want them to quite get to 50/50 unless you all think that would be a mistake.

I have already done a test smoke and it kicked my butt, but that may be because I have had NOTHING since last MAY! Well, except for a tiny amount of shake -- maybe enough for three joints -- from some crappy weed that someone gave me in September. That's why I started my own grow. I got tired of not being able to find anything and, on those rare occasions when I did, it was overpriced and it was not good weed. If I let this get to 50/50, I'm afraid it may be too much for me -- though I am an old-timer and started buying Mexican lids when it was GOOD and it only cost $15 a lid. Maybe I'm getting TOO old and have become a lightweight, but when I smoked a test bud of this WW, I couldn't do anything but giggle at my wife for like a half-hour. I kinda like that giggly stage, but I don't particularly want to get laid out on the couch all the time. So how does 30/70 -- 35/65 amber/cloudy sound for these?

Pic 4 shows a calyx that is larger than a LeSeur pea. My camera can't quite do it justice, though. Anyway, it is almost in the center of the pic. I had a bunch of calyxes that were as large as peas, but they have kind of exploded open with masses of hairs.

Pic 5 is an attempt to capture what it looks like under the canopy looking from front to back, but it is not possible to show what I can see from here. When I look from front to back, the entire underneath of the canopy is masses of buds, even though they aren't getting a whole lotta light down there. I don't know how there are so many buds -- and these aren't just popcorn buds either, though there is plenty of that.

I have been using the GH three part nutes because Stoney recommended them and, quite honestly, I do anything Stoney says because I have seen his grows. I used a bit of Big Bud in weeks 5 and 6 of flower and now I am using some Overdrive for the rest of the grow. These are both from Advanced Nutrients. I also use Molasses. My light is a 400 watt HPS, but I use two CFLs for supplemental lighting toward the front.

My grow area is only 3' X 2'9" X 7'. The tallest of the colas is only 44" from the top of the net pot. I would have vegged them longer, but I was worried that they would get too tall. As things turned out, I am kinda happy I stopped vegging when I did, but not because of the height. Instead, I'm happy that I stopped vegging because these three plants became so dense that they completely filled the cab. I don't know that it would have made much sense to make them even larger.

So, what do ya'all think? I'm really looking foward to the next two or three weeks when I can hang these. I'd be especially grateful for advice on whether you think it makes sense to harvest these when the trichs are about 35/65 amber/cloudy.

plants look great man.. how much longer you gonna let em go?

Thanks, Wakenbake. Probably another week or two. The trichs are still mostly clear, though some are starting to turn cloudy. I'm thinking about harvesting when they are 35/65 amber/cloudy.

Nice man!! my babys are just about done aswell! :D :D
Hope you get alot of good stoney smoke!!!!:48:

RAD

Thanks Rad and UK1. I should also mention that this is pretty much my first grow. I have done a couple of outdoor guerilla grows and a couple of grows inside a shed with a translucent roof, but in both cases it didn't involve a whole lot more than throwing some seeds in the ground or in a pot and then making sure they had water.

RAD -- did you end up putting yours into the 72 hour dark period? If so, are you going to harvest today? I'll check back in your threads to see what they look like after the chop. I hope to hear from you what changes you saw after 72 hours of darkness. Good luck!

Hey looking good man, and that was all under CFL? great work!

Hi Jbong -- No, I used mostly CFLs for vegging, though I turned on my 400 watt HPS toward the end of vegging. I used the HPS during flower and then when the plants started to get taller/denser, I added those CFLs toward the front of the cab for supplemental lighting.

good grow man... now you remember what you did wrong... dont do it next time and hopefully you'll get some danker better buds cheers buddy nice grow

great job dada, i just started my frist grow in the same kind of set up as you, i just hope they look as good as yours. i also have 2 in flower,frist week,pertty sure ladys,so im looking forward to the next few weeks.

nicenicenice enjoy~ def you'll be set w/in 2 weeks :)

Latest posts

Back