Attic Grow Room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CasualGrower said:
I dont see the old 6-8" pipe.. just the new piping I installed for my exhaust...

the silver pipe is what i'm referring to. ( stove piping, or gas vent from old water htr.) the one you say is blocked off somewhere at 1st floor, andyou want to run your elec through.( which i think is a great idea.).

get a long piece of nylon rope, attach something heavy, that fits down the pipe, and flush that birds nest out.(have bucket on recieving end to catch the clog.;) )...

this pipe does go out through the roof , right?...bb...

Yep straight out the roof...... I have tried to unglog it but no use.... what ever it is, it feels solid.... I have taken a 10' length of PVC and pushed up from the bottom but the clog will not move.../shrug.

Nice job man.
I have an attic of good size and have thought of this option but have always been worried about heat trace etc as the copper chopper always in air round where i live.
Would most of you agree it would be ok as long as i keep the temps down? or do you think it not really worth the risk with the ever present eye in the sky?
Once again job well done is that fella, carn't wait to see some pics when its brimming with green:)

Newbud said:
Nice job man.
I have an attic of good size and have thought of this option but have always been worried about heat trace etc as the copper chopper always in air round where i live.
Would most of you agree it would be ok as long as i keep the temps down? or do you think it not really worth the risk with the ever present eye in the sky?
Once again job well done is that fella, carn't wait to see some pics when its brimming with green:)

I have 3 words for ya.. Insulation insulation Insulation......

If ya insulate, that lil IR camera cannot see.. except where you might exhaust you space.... be careful with that and you would be GTG.

CasualGrower said:
I have 3 words for ya.. Insulation insulation Insulation......

If ya insulate, that lil IR camera cannot see.. except where you might exhaust you space.... be careful with that and you would be GTG.

Cheers man. Any tips on what could be done with exhaust? this is something i real serious about doing and you seem to know what your doing lol.

I'm getting excited now lol:hubba:

Newbud said:
Cheers man. Any tips on what could be done with exhaust? this is something i real serious about doing and you seem to know what your doing lol.

I'm getting excited now lol:hubba:

look at venting through a dryer exhaust..... maybe a chimney or other exhaust pipe....

Ah ok.
dont wanna be a pain so i''ll make this me last question.
I have a gas fire in front room so there must be venting for that.
If i tap into that is there some special precaution to take to avoid problems with stuff like carbon monoxide when my fans are off?

Cheers for the help anyway :)

Newbud said:
Ah ok.
dont wanna be a pain so i''ll make this me last question.
I have a gas fire in front room so there must be venting for that.
If i tap into that is there some special precaution to take to avoid problems with stuff like carbon monoxide when my fans are off?

Cheers for the help anyway :)

Dont think that at all..... the only reason i was kinda short was because, I wrote a big long answer with sxeveral options and I hit the POST button and it went to the serverbusy screen..... I lost all that I written...I was not abotu to write it all again....

That being said.... some gas logs FP's are not vented.....

lol yeah the server busy thing well anoying. I
'm thinking about maybee cooling the air down and then venting it out through the extactor fan outlet for my en-suite bathroom. which i think vents to roof and so through attic.
I know one thing i'll have to be EDIT carefull whatever i do that damn helicopter been about again lol.
Didn't think you was been off with me by way just dont wanna jack your thread too much.
Cheers fella

Been up in attic.
Not as big as i remembered but it could deffinatly work.
Would have to keep my plants to about 3 foot tall maximum but there plenty people do that.
I got loads of insulation up there on the attic floor, 2 layers of stuff each about 7 inch thick, which i could put into roof instead so looks like just need wood to make decent floor, bonus, and i got direct access to existing extraction so looking good.
I'm a bit stuck for cash tho so would i get away with with using white plastic sheeting fixed to roof to hold insulation up and obviously reflect light rather than board it out do you think?

Loft3.jpg

Newbud said:
Been up in attic.
Not as big as i remembered but it could deffinatly work.
Would have to keep my plants to about 3 foot tall maximum but there plenty people do that.
I got loads of insulation up there on the attic floor, 2 layers of stuff each about 7 inch thick, which i could put into roof instead so looks like just need wood to make decent floor, bonus, and i got direct access to existing extraction so looking good.
I'm a bit stuck for cash tho so would i get away with with using white plastic sheeting fixed to roof to hold insulation up and obviously reflect light rather than board it out do you think?

You could do it that way, but I wouldn't.... kinda setting yourself up for disaster i think..... would suck to burn down your home cause the plastic gave way and fell on your lighting and caught fire.....

Plus the wall board also adds a level of insulation too.

lol thats why its good to ask for another opinion lol.
I do think it be a very slim chance it would fall due to they way i would put it up but then i suppose any chance is too much.
Plus the fact board would add insulation is good enough reason to do use it.
Cheers fella i gues if a job worth doin it worth doin right eh.:D

Hello there, thought i'd check in and see how things were going.

Great Job CG!!! Hey what's up with all them empty buckets???? You get'n lazy? (LOL) Any way great job. BTW just a thought don't jam that insulation up thight to the roof sheeting you will run the chance of rotting the roff out with no air flow, just a thought.

Hey NewBud you could run your exhaust through a roof stack make it appear as a hot water or furnace stack. Take very little time to put a rain flashing under the shingles, do it on a cool morn. you won't tear the roofing.

CasualGrower said:
THat pipe has a blockage somewhere around the first floor, I was gonna run my main line for the electricity down that pipe, but couldn't... I have thought about using it as an exhaust and still might if I have to add aonther fan.

lol. reminds me of our old house when i was a kid we finished the attic to be a bedroom and we were monkeying with the same similar type pipe wit the same problem it was blocked somewhere but somehow my uncle used something but ended up being 3 full grown skeletonized squirrels that had all sorts crud almost mummifying them together in a plug shape. it was pretty freaky when i was 8 i remember. lol
the thing that makes me wonder is how is it that there 3 dead squirrels in there. did one fall in and two others try rescuing him an fell in too and they all 3 died holdin each other? lol jokin lol

Very Nice CG! Great set-up and I am sure all your hard work will pay off.
Gotta love a big space!

Wow....this reminds me of a project near me. :hubba: We just framed it and ran the 200 amp wire. That staircase was a ***** to get all the boards through man. we had to rip em all in half also. we'll be roughin in the wiring and then insulating soon.

Hhahahahahahahh. we put one of the 3/4" sheets over the low voltage wire leading to the door bell LOL.....now when you step near the door jam.......the damn door bell chimes :eek: oops.

its become kinda the inside joke. kinda the grow room alarm. gotta fix that.

anyway. I'll have to remember the digi cam next time.

L8r

isnt it going to get hotter then hell up there during the summer? my attic gets as hot as 150F during summer months.!?

:yeahthat: i was just thinkin same thing. iw ent in my attic one summer. crawled up thru the lil hatch in my ceiling just to check it out.(in my new house) and the heat and humidity bout knocked me over an down when i stuck my head up in there an tried breathin. lol
but i suppose if proplerly ventilated and insulated it would be no diff than an upstairs level of a house, no?

Latest posts

Back