*PICS* hydro grow going good, but at 3 weeks, whats up with some of my fan leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JBonez

Hey guys, im finishing my current grow before shutting down for good.

This is my first hydro grow and im about 23 days into flower.

Some of my fan leaves are exhibiting a yellowing that i would normally attribute to nitrogen def.

But i think it may be a mag issue.

Ph 5.8

Floranova bloom at 1300ppm (.7 conversion)

Ro water

Ebb&Flow 3 flood cycles during 12 hrs of light time.

1000w light

temps 79 degrees during lights on.

Ventilation, overkill, plenty of fresh air.

any ideas??? didnt think leaves would exhibit def at only 3 weeks of flowering.

IMG_2532.JPG

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

I'm no plant doctor..but I will tell you IME.. hydro is fast, if you're seeing illness in the 'older' ..'fan leaves'..It's old news. Not saying it's not a problem, just that you might be trying to correct something that was an issue weeks ago. Goodluck.. and BUMP!;)

Ps: I suggest flushing your medium with straight ph'd 5.8 H20 at 3-4 weeks to rid of any build-up that is sure to occur in any medium.

I hate that $#[email protected] is lacking the punch for the pack.Get some Budcandy and B-52 to bring the xtras G.H. just cant provide.Or go to 3 part G,H.Give em an equal 1-1-1 ratio.Took me 1.5 years to figure out!
Peace

im going to do a fresh res swap tonight, bring up the ppms up to 1300 and see if i see any changes.

all the new growth looks seemingly good, and so far i really cant complain since this is the first problem ive had.

Yo dirty, ive done my homework and floranova contains the same proportions as flora micro and bloom, so i dont thing switching is going to do anything.

Just hoping someone could identify my leaf issue from experience.

ps, adding N while flowering???? N inhibits flowering Dirty, so i wont be adding any N, just gonna do a res swap and see if it helps.

Thanks for the help guys!

TURKEYNECK said:
I'm no plant doctor..but I will tell you IME.. hydro is fast, if you're seeing illness in the 'older' ..'fan leaves'..It's old news. Not saying it's not a problem, just that you might be trying to correct something that was an issue weeks ago. Goodluck.. and BUMP!;)

Ps: I suggest flushing your medium with straight ph'd 5.8 H20 at 3-4 weeks to rid of any build-up that is sure to occur in any medium.

Salt buildup in hydroton and ebb&flow??? didnt think that was possible, lemme know.

JBonez said:
Salt buildup in hydroton and ebb&flow??? didnt think that was possible, lemme know.

Hydroton is porous and can definitely hold nutes and cause build up.

If you havent flushed out he medium yet this grow then thats my bet on whats wrong
Floranova rocks.

I had a look at your earlier grows they look fantastic, you say have plenty of freshair, what is your R/H%, it may be IMHO that its not high enough, I oonly trying to help.

ive also lowered the flood to about half the pot instead of flooding up to the top of the hydroton in the pots, could that be affecting the roots at the top of the pots that are no longer recieving nutrients???

gonna go home and clean and refill the res as well as raise the level of my flood.

floranova is great, but this issue is getting annoying and im usually pretty good at fixing issues.

i dont see how it could be a salt buildup unless the lower flooding is accumulating salts at the top layer of hydroton.

Yo dirty, ive done my homework and floranova contains the same proportions as flora micro and bloom, so i dont thing switching is going to do anything.

Just hoping someone could identify my leaf issue from experience.

ps, adding N while flowering???? N inhibits flowering Dirty, so i wont be adding any N, just gonna do a res swap and see if it helps

Was trying to help.For the last 1-2 tears that was my outcome.Now I got it dawn.No chlorosis of the leaves.I tried,you'll get more dead leaves they come in phases.Starts w/ older fan leaves,soon their gome,Next the leaves in the buds,then .......Good luck

Yeah but dirty, you never said what my def was and ive shown you clearly.

Im going with either a zinc or mag def, i know its not N def, so im just trying to find out what exactly it is.

I think a good flush and fresh res swap will help, i know too many floranova guys and they have zero problems, and your way works too, i just like using one nute, not a combination.

thanks again for your help brotha!

Peace and Good luck JB IMO the flush will help the most. Any water that evaperates or is drawn up by plants leaves salts from the nutes behind. You may not have a dif in nutes per say but salt in the medium maybe blocking their uptake.

yeah, ive just been going off of the lucas formula, and this salt buildup business was never mentioned with hydroton.

I think im gonna lower the ppm a bit and raise the level of the flood so that any salt buildup will be washed out, hopefully!

i still would like to know what is wrong with my plant.

i used GH Flora in E&F with rockwool..got leaves just like those. Can't tell whether it was a cal or mag def. but I treated for both and eliminated the problem. Dirty is right, started working it's way to smaller leaves by the time I treated. The reason I treated for both is they can cause similar symptoms and both are common deficiancies in MJ, especially in weeks 2-4. Hope that helps, and my prob may not be yours but I noticed several similarities. Good luck to you.

maybe ill try a little calmag??? may do the trick, just wanted to be 100% successful on my first hydro grow.

I believe adding epsom salt can help a MG def. although I have no experience with it but I've seen it suggested before, trying doing a search on it. Hope it helps, if it doesn't I'm sorry but either way good luck JBonez.

Zink will cause the leaves to grow in a spiralling whirl or all crumbled tookin.Honestly try B-52,Budcandy.
I think your floronova is not having the cal/mag+ a few more.I know i know but everybody else.Brother I was getting what you got,didn't like it.Listened to somebody who has overcome this.Tried it THEIR WAY(my way was gettin what you got.Dont know how else to put it but bluntly)and am never going back.

no cal/mag?
Add water(r/o)ppm it.Bring it up to 150 with either cal/mag or evaporated tap water(didn't realize no cal/mag)then floronova.U need it w/ floronova-it doesnot have ALL the essentials,either substitute or get ust to it!

JB- thought you were getting out of the game?!? will have to track that thread down to update... was bummed to hear, so glad things are cool... hopefully! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURKEYNECK

Salt buildup in hydroton and ebb&flow??? didnt think that was possible, lemme know.Today 03:42 AM

Growdude said:
Hydroton is porous and can definitely hold nutes and cause build up.

If you havent flushed out he medium yet this grow then thats my bet on whats wrong
Floranova rocks.

:goodposting: The damage is done to those older leaves.. just flush your hydroton real good...haha "floranova rocks" :p goodone Gdude.

Latest posts

Back