Building a 10FT x 20FT Bedroom/Grow room! ASAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AlbinoDanko12GA

Well im going to home depot tomorrow to get all my lumber, drywall, electrical supplies etc.

im a framer and am gonna have this done ASAP! my question is How should i do my room???? is there anything you guys would do or put in since im starting fresh?? so far ill be having a 12,000 btu ac in the 10 x 10 grow area to cool a few 1000's and im gonna buy a few inline fans also!

Im gonna add a interior wall and door to seperate my bedroom and grow room! My question is should i frame any windows in? should i have any windows in my grow room???? if i didnt would that cause mold when im budding????? concrete is getting done tomorrow so ill keep all this in mind and thnik about wat im gonna do! i was thinkin no windows and just vent everything from the top of the roof!!!!!!! im pretty much doing everything myself so thats why im trying to figure it all out! post your input and any ideas or drawings, thanks

the reason why i dont think i should put windows is because wont it keep it cooler if theres no windows???

im insualted every wall and the attic with R13! also im using 3/4 solar sheats to sheat my room and then putting on siding on after that!

Sounds to me your on the case big time, it sounds great nice size Im jealous, the only piece of advise I can give is ensure your envrionment is bang on, temps,air and humidity, but it does sound like you have that covered too.
So I will pull up a chair and watch your progresss with great intertest, if thats ok with you.
Have you done this before?
Will you use soil?
Cuttings or seed?
How high will the celing be of the room?

ive only grew once, i just harvested for my first time! im a carpenter framer though and i know wat im doing in that field lol!

i will be using a mix of some different soils (ocean forest, happy frog, perlite, bat guana, kelp etc...) i will be using cuttings, perferably all purp strains! i just bought a 15 pack of seeds (AK48, white widow, wonder woman) so well see how those turn out!!! my ceiling will be 9ft. wat do u think about the window idea? thats the only thing im wondering about, windows or no windows lol

pull up a chair and light one up....

pull up a chair and light one up....
Done.
Windows mmmmmmmmmm no is my 1st thought. I may change my mind.
Alb, u must be up late in cali?

why do you think you need a window in your grow room, surely you will have some sort of air exchange system, no.

ya im up late, its 2:37am over here right now! yes im cutting a 6 inch hole out of the sheetrock and venting out my attic. i still have a passive intake i beleive through my bedroom correct?? or doi need a vent in the growroom side to allow for a proper air exchange???

"or doi need a vent in the growroom side to allow for a proper air exchange???"

Yes, as my 1st reply says "environment is key to success" in my book.
So with a room that big your window method would habve to be huge would it not.
You need to exchange the air, all of it every 5 mins or so at least have that capabilty with your system, if I understand you so far that is, i hope do understand you.
ok its 10.52 am here.

so are you saying put a few windows in and leave them open during my grow????

or should i cut a 6 or 8 inch hole and have a inline intake fan blowing air into my room through a series of filters to catch any bugs that are outside and have a exhause fan exhaust all the air out the attic at the same time!

AlbinoDanko12GA said:
so are you saying put a few windows in and leave them open during my grow???? No

or should i cut a 6 or 8 inch hole and have a inline intake fan blowing air into my room through a series of filters to catch any bugs that are outside and have a exhause fan exhaust all the air out the attic at the same time!
Yes, IMHO:cool:

Open windows are an open invitation to humidity, mold, bugs, thugs, poo-poo and on and on. No windows is my vote. Just vent well. Pull your passive from inside your air conditioned house if you can and vent out the ceiling. I'm running an 8,000BTU portable unit in 4.5' x 8' x 8' and it lags--but I'm waaay down south. Is your unit a portable, a window unit or a split system?

Good luck.

stevetosh said:
Yes, IMHO:cool:

ok, ya cuz it will be cheaper if i dont put windows! and i was thinking it would keep heat and pests out!

so if i cut a hole in the lower side of one of my walls perferably where the shade is the most ill have my intake there!? what you think, through a few filters or screens for bugs?? wat size inline fan should i be using to bring air from outside to into my room or tent???? and when i exhaust should the exhasut fan be bigger and flow more than the intake fan or is it the other way around

PencilHead said:
Open windows are an open invitation to humidity, mold, bugs, thugs, poo-poo and on and on. No windows is my vote. Just vent well. Pull your passive from inside your air conditioned house if you can and vent out the ceiling. I'm running an 8,000BTU portable unit in 4.5' x 8' x 8' and it lags--but I'm waaay down south. Is your unit a portable, a window unit or a split system?

Good luck.

well ya that was EXACTLY wat i was thinking! no windows would be a good idea but i just wanted to ask around and see wat all you thought first before i framed it with no windows lol! im building a 10 x 20 house pretty much, it will have 9 ft walls and the grow area will be 10x10 or 10 x 8 lit with 3 1000 watters! it will be fully insulated and full wrap shear and siding! i wont have a passive intake cuz theres gonna be no windows! pretty much through the bottom of the front door only but that will be sealed good so i dont know if theres capabilities of a passive intake actually! thats why i will just probally cut a 6 inch hole in the lower side of one of my walls and have a intake fan that brings air from outside into my growroom! im thinking i will exhaust the portable ac (12,000btu) and three 1000 watters out the top of the roof for a nice clean exhaust and intake system! ill draw it out today or something to give u guys a visual look of wats coming up

To be sure my passive air didn't leak light, I went to Depot or Lowe's--don't remember or care--and cruised the ventilation metal crap. I found some 90 degree in-wall venting things and used some metal tape to connect them until light didn't shine outside when my HPS were flaming.

Point being, if you use your conditioned house air for passive, you're cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Temp's a *****, man--fight the power. It holds sway over humidity, nute absorbtion, bud size, sanity and density--I could go on if you want me to.

Gotta experiment and tweek, my man. You don't hit one over the fence first at-bat, shrug it off and grow again. Peace.

PencilHead said:
To be sure my passive air didn't leak light, I went to Depot or Lowe's--don't remember or care--and cruised the ventilation metal crap. I found some 90 degree in-wall venting things and used some metal tape to connect them until light didn't shine outside when my HPS were flaming.

Point being, if you use your conditioned house air for passive, you're cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Temp's a *****, man--fight the power. It holds sway over humidity, nute absorbtion, bud size, sanity and density--I could go on if you want me to.

Gotta experiment and tweek, my man. You don't hit one over the fence first at-bat, shrug it off and grow again. Peace.

this is a new build! detached from the house! i will be framing and drywalling all this week! it will be a seperate room with just electricity, no plumbing or nothing! basically just a 1 bedroom and then a growroom! so my 12,000 will be there to cool things down in the grow room along with some big inline fans

so your talking about a 90 degree angle of pipe to allow the light not to reflect and show on the roof of my room??

Right on the 90 degree things. I kept putting one against the other until I've got like a 180 metal channel--but I hide it under a sink in the adjacent room. I'm so stealthy I can't stand it--got a movable wine rack for a door.

My 8000BTU is portable and has a 5" vent pipe coming out the back. I ran the vent up into the attic--even have a carbon filter I made for it but haven't needed it yet.

dude thats sick! i was thinking of building something in that nature of a hidden door or something! im getting my whole house and yard sprayed for bugs and **** by clark pest company and then im going to home dpeot tomorrow or the next day and getting all my lumber and drywall and all the bullcrap i need to get this done, my goal is for it to be done within a week and everything in there veggin up! check your pm's

Still looking forward to the "build" and growin.

I am looking foward to this one also. Since your able to start from scratch like I did. I would suggest (imo), forget the intake/outake fans. My room checklist for next grow,

Charcoal air cleaner, no in/out fans
Wired box with 8 240v plugs and 4 120v plugs w/ relay
C02 unit
4 20gal resevoirs, 2 for pure H20 and 2 for Nutes w/ pump and wand
Easier method of flushing also. Have not figured this one out yet.
Just ordered the "secret door". There are lots of different ones you can see. I got a bookcase sliding one for 2k as I have a door in the office leading to the basement.

GL and will stay tuned.

nouvellechef said:
I am looking foward to this one also. Since your able to start from scratch like I did. I would suggest (imo), forget the intake/outake fans. My room checklist for next grow,

Charcoal air cleaner, no in/out fans
Wired box with 8 240v plugs and 4 120v plugs w/ relay
C02 unit
4 20gal resevoirs, 2 for pure H20 and 2 for Nutes w/ pump and wand
Easier method of flushing also. Have not figured this one out yet.
Just ordered the "secret door". There are lots of different ones you can see. I got a bookcase sliding one for 2k as I have a door in the office leading to the basement.

GL and will stay tuned.

no intake/exhaust fans??? how would you ventalate it and get rid of temps????

also are you doing hydro?? im doing a soil batch

ya those doors are cool and pretty nifty, i wanna build one one day, but right now i got other things to build first

stevetosh said:
Still looking forward to the "build" and growin.

well tomorrow its getting sprayed and ill drop the lumber off then and start framing it up and then have my elec boys come out and wire something up then insulate it EVERYWHERE then drywall it and paint and then call it good! hopefully i can get it done in 3 days after the foundation is done

Latest posts

Back