Baby Plant Stretch Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMonster

Reaction score
This is both an inside and outside question.

From what I understand, yall who grow grass inside try to keep the light source close to the plant so that the plant does not stretch in an attempt to get closer to the light source. Correct?

So one of my questions is, If you are growing outside from seed will the plant stretch in an attempt to get closer to the light source?

Depending on what yalls answers are going to be will determine my next question. Some of yall will probably antisipate the next question.

If my question is not phrased right please excuse me, I just smoked my morning joint.

No one?

The reason I want to know if the plant will stretch when outside in full sun is this-if the plant does not stretch when outside in full sun does that mean its getting all the light it needs?

If that is the case couldnt you then just make sure you have enough light in an inside grow situation to avoid the stretch?

First of all the use of illegal subst.......bwahhaaaa, Artificial light and natural light are way different my friend. Outside your plant will stretch naturaly and bud compensation will increase due to the all around natural light effect, inside we have to compensate for little or no natural light so we try to imitate natural surroundings, light,temps, etc. some like inside some like outside, some don't have a choice. If your considering doing an outsider be carefull.

It depends what time of the year your talking about Tex.

5,000 lumens per foot inside with a light close and the plants will not stretch.

Bright sun outside and the plants wont stretch.

Poor sun and poor light inside and they stretch.

:peace:

TM there are 2 types of stretch. Yeah, I know it gets confusing. One is the light stretch and the other is when the plant goes from veg to flower. Sativas tend to stretch more than indicas during the early part of flowering. Some breeders will tell you to expect 2x or 3x stretch in flowering. For the most part these are genetic traits. It is one of many traits that breeders breed for, and why so many hybrids exist today.

Thank Yall all for the answers. Just to be clear, yall are saying that even if I have a 1000 watt HID in a 2ft by 3ft grow area but not close to the plant, it will still stretch in its early days reaching for light because try as we might it just aint natural light? <-----Did that make since?

HIE, I tried to give ya some good rep for the help but it said I had to spread the rep around or something like that. I dunno

if it gets too little sunlight or dappled sunlight it will stretch,

i know its not the same as MJ but my neighbours tree grew quite a bit, and because of it my tomatoe plants are 6-7 feet tall, lanky buggers but they produced.

dman1234 said:
if it gets too little sunlight or dappled sunlight it will stretch,

i know its not the same as MJ but my neighbours tree grew quite a bit, and because of it my tomatoe plants are 6-7 feet tall, lanky buggers but they produced.

Thank You. I sounds like you have indeterminate tomato plants. I grow quite a few tomato varieties. I sell most of the tomatoes. Same thing with bell peppers, peppers, different eggplants, etc etc.

Another question. If one can control his/her tempature, can to much light be added. Would a 1000 watt HID lamp be to small in a 2ft by 3ft area?

umbra said:
TM there are 2 types of stretch. Yeah, I know it gets confusing. One is the light stretch and the other is when the plant goes from veg to flower. Sativas tend to stretch more than indicas during the early part of flowering. Some breeders will tell you to expect 2x or 3x stretch in flowering. For the most part these are genetic traits. It is one of many traits that breeders breed for, and why so many hybrids exist today.
true, but don't you/can't you relate the stretch at onset of 12/12 flowering, to the same thing, "stretching for more light". Not for quality necessarily, but for 'quantity'.
IME the same is true during veg'. 16 hours of light will produce more distance between nodes (stretch) than 24/0.

The Hemp Goddess said:
,,,and is often misconcieved as 'faster' growth. Taller does not necessarily translate to more/faster growth.

The bigger it is doesnt always mean its a good thing.

Shorter squatter growth often means it has more energy spare.

:peace:

I think this has been said to me before but I just want to check to be sure. The shorter the distance between nodes is better¿ Nodes are the sites that branches grow out of¿

I like my girls to be short, fat, and over weight instead of tall and thin.

Hick said:
true, but don't you/can't you relate the stretch at onset of 12/12 flowering, to the same thing, "stretching for more light". Not for quality necessarily, but for 'quantity'.
IME the same is true during veg'. 16 hours of light will produce more distance between nodes (stretch) than 24/0.

Hey Hick-

Where can I find more info on this subject- specifically when flowering.

It just doesn't seem to make sense to me if the intensity of the light doesn't change. Are you saying that the plant will stretch in the absence of light? What is it stretching towards?

I always thought it was something the plant did on a hormonal level to make room for flowers. I have always started my plants at 24/0 for the first 4 weeks then switch to 18/6 for the next few weeks. I have not noticed any stretch during those light changes.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back