T5 Grow Lights vs T8 Shop Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what kind of heat the 8 bulb will create in that tent compared to the 400w HID currently running?

I have zero problems with heat using the 400w MH.

I'll see what I get when I crank this 6 bulb up all the way and I can anticipate from there.

Every grow needs ventilation, even small little closets with only a little light in them.

I found that my 4 bulb T5 put out substantially less heat than the MH, but that is also a whole lot less watts.

This door usually stays open so I get plenty of air. It's a rare occasion when I have to close it. So, it is a secondary problem I can address later. I have 2 fans blowing air so I get pretty good circulation. I just want to be ready in case I have to close it.

Question... these bulbs say 2800K on them. Are those the veg bulbs?

Now, I need to test this to see if it's too much light for cloning. I am getting ready to do a clone transplant so I will have some cuttings that would, otherwise be mulch. I'll pop them in the same starter I used last time. Put them in the same domes and treat them the same as last time and I'll compare with the clones that I just did under the T12 florescent bulbs.

My bad. I looked again and they say 54w 6400k

Thanks

Nearly every post talks in terms of what our eye sees and we skip photosynthetic requirements.

www.inda-gro.com has best lighting tutorial available for growers.

Plain english, photon count right down to the micro-mole.

How much dry weight desired, here's the photon mole count, 95% useable light, 1/3 the power, 2/3 less heat.

Moreover, true high pressure aeroponics uses 1/50 nutrient compared to low pressure hydroponics, mistakenly referred to as low pressure aeroponics, a critter not in existence.

We take pride believing our ride is high tech, yet 10 years from now our wasteful energy indoor gardening methods will be unthinkable in a global warming world and today's war on drugs rhetoric is accurately calling us out on just that.

We can counter the war on drugs and Legislators codifying us out of a energy wasteful existence by becoming better stewards of the BTU, Photon, and mili-liter of nutrient because if we don't, they will.

Nearly every post talks in terms of what our eye sees and we skip photosynthetic requirements.

www.inda-gro.com has best lighting tutorial available for growers.

Plain english, photon count right down to the micro-mole.

How much dry weight desired, here's the photon mole count, 95% useable light, 1/3 the power, 2/3 less heat.

Moreover, true high pressure aeroponics uses 1/50 nutrient compared to low pressure hydroponics, mistakenly referred to as low pressure aeroponics, a critter not in existence.

We take pride believing our ride is high tech, yet 10 years from now our wasteful energy indoor gardening methods will be unthinkable in a global warming world and today's war on drugs rhetoric is accurately calling us out on just that.

We can counter the war on drugs and Legislators codifying us out of a energy wasteful existence by becoming better stewards of the BTU, Photon, and mili-liter of nutrient because if we don't, they will.

Huh??

This thing, even with only 2 bulbs cooking, is creating more heat than I can deal with in this little closet.

I'll toss an exhaust fan in the cocktail, tomorrow and everything should be fine.

For smaller areas being lit, I like to remote mount the ballasts outside the grow area, this will drop temps by 5-10 degrees.

This T5 has the ballast built in. I assume you mean with an HID? Or, do some T5's come with remote ballasts?

By the way, this light is working out perfectly for what I wanted it for. I wanted something that could go from cloning to mid-veg. After they vig in here for a while, they spend 1 month under HID before flowering.

I need to test this for cloning but the seedling came up perfectly under 2 of the bulbs. It was under 4 bulbs within a week and at 2 weeks old it is under the full 6 bulb T5.

Love this light. It's like having a dimmer for an HID.

Would have never bought it or ever thought of trying it if it wasn't for all of you and MP. Love it here.

:)

This T5 has the ballast built in. I assume you mean with an HID? Or, do some T5's come with remote ballasts?

By the way, this light is working out perfectly for what I wanted it for. I wanted something that could go from cloning to mid-veg. After they vig in here for a while, they spend 1 month under HID before flowering.

I need to test this for cloning but the seedling came up perfectly under 2 of the bulbs. It was under 4 bulbs within a week and at 2 weeks old it is under the full 6 bulb T5.

Love this light. It's like having a dimmer for an HID.

Would have never bought it or ever thought of trying it if it wasn't for all of you and MP. Love it here.

:)
I have a habit of taking things apart and making them work for my situation, ballasts are always built in, I just cut all the wires and extend them to outside the rooms.

LMAO... love you, man. You are a true hacker at heart.

LMAO... love you, man. You are a true hacker at heart.

I have the ability to reengineer things to work for me if need be, I'm going to be playing with my own Raspberry Pi unit to see if I can't set up a master controller to interact with my other various controllers and care a system, I wAnt the capability of monitoring and tweaking things from my own VPN.

Ability AND desire. You have them both.

Where were you when I was hacking XM? Can you program in C? just kidding.

A couple weeks ago, I hacked my coffee pot. The built-in grinder would grind for a totally annoying and way longer than needed 64 seconds. Seemed like forever first thing in the morning. Especially, with a hangover. LOL I pulled the PIC chip which is the main controller and dumped the code and modified the code to change the timing to a cool 15 seconds. Re-write the code.... a little soldering and.... Bingo! I love my coffee pot. JUST the way I like it, now. LOL I was never very good with my hands but electronics just seemed to come natural to me.

Hack on, brother. ;)

led tube is ok, please look at the pictures.

Marijuana is not lettuce. Greens like lettuce will grow with very little light. Marijuana is a high energy plant. What works for lettuce will not work for marijuana.

I’m a new grower, I’m growing with t8. It’s not going too bad... seems slower than what’s typical from what I’ve read

Hey Tiff Welcome to MP -- I started to say something earlier but I grow under LEDs so I don't know what to say !-- It's been a quite day but there are those who know about such lights who will be around later to give U all sorts of advice !
MP is like a living library of grow info ! --
Again Welcome to MP !

T8 while the plants are still real short isn't bad at all; it's as they grow taller that you will see yellowing lower leaves and want some better light penetration.
Since this is what you've got at the moment, make sure you run a good daylight bulb and keep an eye on the distance between bulb and canopy, to balance bright light vs too much heat.
Edit: I'm a moron and replied to a 5 year old question. But yes we just found an early adopter of raspberry pi. I wonder where he is now, and how the controller build worked out!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back